Home

The 7 Elements of Gameplanning: A Strategy Thread

This is a discussion on The 7 Elements of Gameplanning: A Strategy Thread within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-18-2004, 01:05 PM   #1
Pro

FSU_Animal's Arena

OVR: 8
The 7 Elements of Gameplanning: A Strategy Thread

I noticed alot of posts about people complaining they can't pass or run. Well, to be honest, I can do all of those even using SMU as my team in Dynasty Mode. Don't get me wrong though. I'm not saying this game is easy. Hell, I'm 1-4 having only beaten San Jose State, which let me tell you was the easiest game I've played though I did not have one passing TD as I rushed for 5 TDs beating them 35-21.

So here are mine, and I'm sure many of your elements to gameplanning:

Rule #1: No Fear
Never show fear. This means that even if you are being stopped for loss every time you run the ball, do not give up on running the ball. This keeps the defense honest.

Rule #2: Trust
Trust your offensive line. They are the ones to open up the running game which suprisingly opens the passing game. Use your offensive line. Follow the block and wait for the hole.

Rule #3: Patience
This ties into Trust as well. By being patient and waiting for your blockers to clear a path, your offensive line will start to become confident (composure) and your running lanes will open faster. You QB will start to have more time to pass the ball and the offensive line will do a lot less holding.

Rule #4: Know Your Team
Use the Match Up Stick to see who is composed and who is a good player. I tend to run opposite of the good defensive lineman (unless they are all good) unless the offensive lineman in front of the good defender is fully composed. Reason being is that it doesn't matter if your player is good or not, if he is fully composed, his blocking will be alot better and he'll have less holding calls. A player with low composure usually makes more mistakes resulting in penalties a lot of times whereas a player with high composure usually makes less mistakes and has less penalties called.

Rule #5: KISS
Keep It Simple Stupid. Never has that saying been more true than it is in football. Don't use a lot of plays that take a while to develop. When passing, keep the routes short and sweet. Deep patterns take longer to develop. Your QB only has so much time to pass the ball. Your offensive line only has so much stamina and strength to protect the quarterback.

Rule #6: Shaken, Not Stirred
What I am saying is to mix up your play calls. A player that has learned to work certain plays to perfection is prone to being stopped short because the CPU is smart enough to adjust. Then what is that player going to do? He/She only knows certain plays well enough. However, a player that knows every play to perfection is nearly unstoppable. They'll have a whole arsenal to choose from.

Rule #7: Compose Yourself
Just as the virtual players in the game have to have composure to be effective, so must you. I know this very well because when I can't get something to work, I tend to lose my cool. I'll start to become aggressive and make tons more mistakes because I only want to hurt who ever I'm trying to tackle or trying to beat. This game requires as much composure as it does in real life. Don't lose your cool and never ever give up on your gameplan. Football is nothing more than a chess match with tackling. Learn to out think your opponent and remain calm at all times.

Hopefully this helps because it pains me to see so many of you calling quits just because you can't get your rushing game or passing game going. This game is too amazing for you to give up on. I'm more into pro football than college football but this game has a 99.9% chance of beating it's big brother one day.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2004, 07:02 PM   #2
Pro

FSU_Animal's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: The 7 Elements of Gameplanning: A Strategy Thread

glad to see this is helping people. I'd like to read some feedback. People on MM are leaving tips as well. I joined MM, Football Freaks, and Operation Sports because when I did a search on Google for Madden Strategies, they were the links that popped up.

So far all I've seen are people that complain they can't do something and hardly any tipis. I'm just trying to start up an official gameplay and gameplan strategies thread. Any input is greatly appreciated. Just make it about strategies though and not any negative comments about any user or the game.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:14 PM   #3
Pro

Dauminator's Arena

OVR: 5

I think no one's responding because you put it so well.

Although all of your points pretty much say the same thing-which is to be patient. And that's the key. Just like in real life when someone gets rattled early and tries to force things, you just have to trust that your game plan will work itself out. You've got all game to come back, you don't need to do it in one play.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:23 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

SoMiss2000's Arena

OVR: 32

I saw this earlier at the bottom of the page. Good job FSU.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:31 PM   #5
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

Great info FSU!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2004, 10:00 PM   #6
Banned

OHguy00's Arena

OVR: 17

Great post FSU. I agree with you completely on running the ball. I have beaten so many people online mainly because after I stuff them a few times they give up completely on running the ball and try to pass deep all game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »