Home

Back to 2004

This is a discussion on Back to 2004 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2004, 09:02 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Back to 2004

I must say I just don't understand the mentality over here, where it is always "if you don't like the game then don't post." Wouldn't it make more sense for those who really love a game to actually be playing the game than trying to rip anyone who complains? And you can say "practice more" all you want, but no amount of practice in the world is going to help the biggest problem with 2005 - the dropped short passes. What exactly would you practice? I can complete plenty of long bombs into triple coverage but can't buy a dump to a wide-open All-American receiver in the flat. That is just wrong.

It's eerie how much this mirrors the MVP debate. Probably half the people on OS claimed there was no lefty but and told the rest of us to shut the @#$% up. Fortunately a few people persisted and maybe it had something to do with EA releasing the PC patch that fixed the problem. Hopefully, if we raise real concerns about gameplay shortcomings EA could at least examine whether they could be addressed through an XBox Live patch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2004, 09:07 AM   #26
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:

jordan0386 said:
Quote:

You really have to take advantaged of rattled DBs and make a lot more shorter, simpler passes to get a good completion rating

the reason i say this, i think the a.i is always in zone when i pick a passing play with routes coming across the middle...there is no way for the cpu to be in basically perfect positioning every time...unless...they were trained to do so

Wow, I'm the exact opposite when I see a zone. My eyes light up for crossing routes and slants. Nothing has been sexier in this game than the slot WR sliding behind the up man (LB) in the zone and you whizzing it over his head right to your WR who can snag it before the FS has a chance to come up and pop you. It looks amazing when you time it right.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:34 AM   #27
GATA

bdunn13's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:

THEBIGORANGE said:
gimme a break- i am sick and tired of seeing someone get all bent out of shape if there is a post stating anything negative about 2005. all i see is " the game hasn't been out a wk and your already givin up on it, uh, lets see, yep. SO WHAT! i am an experienced gamer of 20 yrs and although the game is fun and very different from 2004, i am choosing 2004 simply cause it feels rite to me, wo! i will probably be trading in 2005 but SO WAHT! every game is not for everybody. (uh-oh, i think i better put 04 down and play 05 cause it mite PISS someone off on OS!) GEEZ, get over it! probably a bunch of 9th graders anyway! let me throw this out there too. i will continue to try 2005 to see if i like it better because to me it costs too much to give up on it rite away, but you people have no rite to get all upset if someone doens't like it now and voices there opinion. i slap'em a high five because they know now they don't like it and are gettin rid of it, just cause you like it doesn't mean i have too, GEEZ<GET A LIFE!

Like I have said 1000x times. Don't like it, don't play it. No one cares.

"GET A LIFE"

kettle black bro.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:37 AM   #28
GATA

bdunn13's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:

Blublub said:
I must say I just don't understand the mentality over here, where it is always "if you don't like the game then don't post." Wouldn't it make more sense for those who really love a game to actually be playing the game than trying to rip anyone who complains? And you can say "practice more" all you want, but no amount of practice in the world is going to help the biggest problem with 2005 - the dropped short passes. What exactly would you practice? I can complete plenty of long bombs into triple coverage but can't buy a dump to a wide-open All-American receiver in the flat. That is just wrong.

It's eerie how much this mirrors the MVP debate. Probably half the people on OS claimed there was no lefty but and told the rest of us to shut the @#$% up. Fortunately a few people persisted and maybe it had something to do with EA releasing the PC patch that fixed the problem. Hopefully, if we raise real concerns about gameplay shortcomings EA could at least examine whether they could be addressed through an XBox Live patch.

They can complain, but why waste their time talking about a game they don't like? Move along to things that make you happy.

That would be like non sports gamers coming here to talk about sports games. It just does not make any sense.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:42 AM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 2

Excuse me, I thought this board was discussion about NCAA 2005. All I was saying is that at the end of the day, I think 2004 at Heisman plays a more realistic game of college football. This is part of my impressions about the game and may be useful for someone that has not bought it or perhaps people can point out why it is not the case. It does seem that people get very bent out of shape if you post something negative about the game. Over 40 College QB's last year passed over 60%. College football is about drives. My comments about the game relate to the CPU QB not my passing. My passing with some practice, I think I can get to 55% or so. I have been playing on Heisman with the CPU offense maxed out in every category. I have turned down my defense and still out of 5 games, I have yet to have the CPU pass over 50%. Plus, I think it is lame that we have to use Heisman because my understanding of Heisman is that every player becomes a 99 overall, so you lose a lot of the team individuality. I think EA tried to bump up defense this year and rather than some complex system to do so, they super amped up the DB's and LB's.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:46 AM   #30
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:

Blublub said:

funny, I couldn't complete a pass to a reciever out of the backfield either, but I practiced it against the defense in Practice mode, and learned I was throwing the ball too hard, as well as leading the reciever right on those. The ones that get dropped are where the RB gets it thrown over the wrong shoulder, and ends up twisting awkwardly to catch. I'm really not an EA Apologist, I was just ready to break this game in two a couple days ago, but since I worked on timing, touch, and leading the reciever I've gotten infinitely better. Maybe I'm just a freak case where practice actually makes perfect. This game has me thinking completely differently than any past game, I have to think football, take what's given to me, rather than go into a play saying "X is getting this pass" and wait until X is open to throw the ball.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:01 AM   #31
Legen - WAIT FOR IT

Pared's Arena

OVR: 72

Quote:

Blublub said:

Oh no... he HAD to bring up the XBL patch thing...

NOW you've done it...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2004, 10:15 AM   #32
MVP

jujuhound's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:

ehh said:
Wow, I'm the exact opposite when I see a zone. My eyes light up for crossing routes and slants. Nothing has been sexier in this game than the slot WR sliding behind the up man (LB) in the zone and you whizzing it over his head right to your WR who can snag it before the FS has a chance to come up and pop you. It looks amazing when you time it right.

Really? This is actually one of my problems with the game. My passing is improving every game, but I am seeing some of the super LB jumping ability that was in Madden before but I don't remember seeing in NCAA until this year.

I slowed down a replay of one play in particular yesterday where I threw to a receiver running a post who had gotten into space about 7-9 yards behind the linebacker. I tried to throw a touch pass over the LB like you could in 2004 (the pass looked like it was perfect). The LB was almost standing still at the 50 yd line covering a RB coming underneath, but reacted right as I threw it and jumped up and backwards 5 YARDS to bat the ball away. This is the kind of thing that is frustrating and not realistic and was not in last year's game as far as I remember. Seems like a cheap way to improve pass defense.

Oh yeah, that linebacker was on UNLV, so I doubt he was great.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »