Home

Peter Moore on NCAA Football, "We'll Be Back"

This is a discussion on Peter Moore on NCAA Football, "We'll Be Back" within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-19-2016, 01:37 PM   #73
Rookie

sXeInYoFace's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Peter Moore on NCAA Football, "We'll Be Back"

think of college football as an internship. you work for free while still making money for someone else. if you do well enough, maybe you get a job with the big boys (the NFL). that is an opinion a coworker of mine had, and it sounds pretty accurate.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:56 PM   #74
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
You'll never get the shadyness out of collegiate sports completely. But I do believe that if players have a way to earn a little cash legally (by legal I mean without running afoul of NCAA rules) then that would cut down on players getting involved with boosters and such. I really do believe these guys want to do right. Just provide a means for them to. Cant blame a guy for seeing the billions get thrown around in TV contracts and coaches raking in millions and not see the big deal in taking a few hundred dollars or something.
Athletic departments don't have the cash without cutting benefits or eliminating non-revenue sports. All of the coaches are former players who worked their way up to a coaching position.

I'm a big booster for Midwest State located in Sioux Falls, SD (my teambuilder team). I run a car dealership or some other business. I pay a high profile recruit or multiple players to star in a television advertisement and I provide all the players with free vehicles along with any recruit as soon as he commits for starring in these ads. Suddenly Midwest State is competing with Alabama and Ohio State for the top recruiting class. That's the alternative to the current system.

I see this as part of the instant gratification culture today. Getting a full ride scholarship for playing a sport is compensation if you have the work ethic to challenge yourself with a solid degree which will lead to something after college. Since I'm in CoMO and more familiar with Missouri I use the example of a former player named L'Damian Washington. You might remember him for a play he made vs Georgia a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVXZyhkzD8U

His Father was murdered when he was 5, his mother had a heart attack and died at his high school basketball game when he was 15. He and his 3 brothers decided to stay together and raise each other rather than go into foster homes. He graduated from Missouri with a degree in psychology. I saw him at a soccer game once with another player named Matt White who graduated with an engineering degree. It would be hard to argue they didn't benefit from college football. Those degrees are theirs for life.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:18 AM   #75
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
Athletic departments don't have the cash without cutting benefits or eliminating non-revenue sports. All of the coaches are former players who worked their way up to a coaching position.

I'm a big booster for Midwest State located in Sioux Falls, SD (my teambuilder team). I run a car dealership or some other business. I pay a high profile recruit or multiple players to star in a television advertisement and I provide all the players with free vehicles along with any recruit as soon as he commits for starring in these ads. Suddenly Midwest State is competing with Alabama and Ohio State for the top recruiting class. That's the alternative to the current system.

I see this as part of the instant gratification culture today. Getting a full ride scholarship for playing a sport is compensation if you have the work ethic to challenge yourself with a solid degree which will lead to something after college. Since I'm in CoMO and more familiar with Missouri I use the example of a former player named L'Damian Washington. You might remember him for a play he made vs Georgia a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVXZyhkzD8U

His Father was murdered when he was 5, his mother had a heart attack and died at his high school basketball game when he was 15. He and his 3 brothers decided to stay together and raise each other rather than go into foster homes. He graduated from Missouri with a degree in psychology. I saw him at a soccer game once with another player named Matt White who graduated with an engineering degree. It would be hard to argue they didn't benefit from college football. Those degrees are theirs for life.
I get the point about athletic departments. I know that only about a dozen or so really make money after its all said and done. That's why I don't agree with the schools or NCAA paying the players directly. The NCAA and say, Ohio State, is a brand. JT Barrett choose Ohio State over Toledo for a reason. He benefits from attending there, too. That and a four year scholly is compensation enough, IMO. Just allow the players who have a market to make them something too. That's all I'm saying.

In my hypothetical world the NCAA could ban both the student athletes and schools from dealing with you. Punish the shady actors.

I disagree on the "intern" analogy. Yes. A degree is very valuable. And the onus is on each individual to pursue one that can lead to a bright future. However, we know that in many cases the schools push players into certain areas of study to free them up. Look at UNC basketball when McCants, May and Felton were there. That kind of stuff happens and it tells you just how much of a business college athletics has become. Even the ones in legitimately working to attain a good degree have so much time tied up in their sport that most cant work a part time job somewhere. I know there guys aren't exactly starving but let make a little money from their sports feats if its there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2016, 10:33 AM   #76
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Yesterday the Supreme Court refused to hear The O'Bannon case which likely means we are much further away from getting NCAA games back..so disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »