Home

Something I've Noticed...

This is a discussion on Something I've Noticed... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2004, 09:27 PM   #1
All Star

OVR: 21
Something I\'ve Noticed...

Have any of you noticed that when playing man-to-man defense, the DB will leave the WR and pick up the RB coming out of the backfield? This forces the LB(who is already out of position) to guard a much faster WR.

Example: The offense was in a 3 WR set. I was controlling the LB and knew I had to cover the RB. My DB then left the WR(who was running a fly) to pick up the RB leaving me WAAY out of position and the WR wide open. The WR was hit for a 30 yard gain.

I'm just trying to figure out what's going on.

Also, what's up with the DBs giving up the inside on deep routes?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2004, 09:37 PM   #2
G**d S**s*n F*ll*s

airbarrett's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Something I\'ve Noticed...

i know what you're talking about on the LBs taking the WR... usually it's when you don't have enough CBs to handle all the receivers, and your computer doesn't want to have a safety cover them. haven't noticed the inside route thing though..
Old 07-22-2004, 10:16 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

I've noticed this as well where they'll just switch assignments and you get burned for a nice sized gain.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:35 PM   #4
Rookie

supdog's Arena

OVR: 4

I like it because you can no longer hike the ball and fire it to the sidelines when last year a slow LB couldnt get into position fast enough to defend it. I just hope they add something to similar to madden so people will not abuse the flats.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:00 PM   #5
Bacon

CM1847's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:

FSU9399 said:
Have any of you noticed that when playing man-to-man defense, the DB will leave the WR and pick up the RB coming out of the backfield? This forces the LB(who is already out of position) to guard a much faster WR.

Example: The offense was in a 3 WR set. I was controlling the LB and knew I had to cover the RB. My DB then left the WR(who was running a fly) to pick up the RB leaving me WAAY out of position and the WR wide open. The WR was hit for a 30 yard gain.

This was giving me some problems too, but it becomes pretty predictable once you get used to it. Basically if you're guarding a TE or RB as a LB and a WR who is being guarded by a CB or S(it's usually the 3rd WR only happening in 3 WR sets) and that WR runs a sharp slant or cut in and the RB/TE runs a pattern into the flat, the CB/S who was on the WR will switch off and take the guy closer to him. It's harder to explain than it is to understand in the game. Just pay attention when the CPU runs a 3 WR set, you'll start picking up on what routes require you to switch, you will probably get burned a few times early but you can understand it if you pay careful attention
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2004, 11:18 PM   #6
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:

CM1847 said:
Quote:

FSU9399 said:

This was giving me some problems too, but it becomes pretty predictable once you get used to it. Basically if you're guarding a TE or RB as a LB and a WR who is being guarded by a CB or S(it's usually the 3rd WR only happening in 3 WR sets) and that WR runs a sharp slant or cut in and the RB/TE runs a pattern into the flat, the CB/S who was on the WR will switch off and take the guy closer to him. It's harder to explain than it is to understand in the game. Just pay attention when the CPU runs a 3 WR set, you'll start picking up on what routes require you to switch, you will probably get burned a few times early but you can understand it if you pay careful attention

I understand why they do it on the slants and quick routes.

I'm just trying to figure out why a DB will leave a WR who is going deep to pick up the RB coming out of the backfield.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »