Home

Supreme Court Rejects Hearing of O'Bannon Case

This is a discussion on Supreme Court Rejects Hearing of O'Bannon Case within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2016, 08:48 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Man, F this stuff...the only loser here is us!!!.....I really, really love college football and basketball and only imagine how it would have been on next gen.. I watch college football and always be like, damn, that uni would have look so dope in the game
Old 10-03-2016, 09:37 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 2
Re: Supreme Court Rejects Hearing of O'Bannon Case

Yeah, this sucks. I try to love Madden, but it is not nearly the game that NCAA has ever been. It truly looks like my video game playing days may be coming to an end.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:26 PM   #19
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
I think the developers are underestimating the demand for college sports. I think most folks are more concerned about school authenticity as opposed to player names, especially if those names can be customized.

The developers should take their cue from the constantly growing number of college sports tv networks, and on line media outlets.

college sports, media, and gaming are seeing an increase worldwide. I wonder if these companies have any real world data that would back up their claims that there isnt a market for college sports games.
is there even a good sample size of generic roster games that would say otherwise.
No, you are underestimating this:

For college video games to return will require a couple of things.

First, EA (or another publisher) will have to know there is no threat of litigation to proceed. Second, schools will want to know there is no threat of litigation to proceed as well.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:27 PM   #20
Rookie

legonerfdude's Arena

What about a generic high school football game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2016, 10:33 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 38

Did you wanna ruin a good day? Cause this is how you ruin a good day...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2016, 11:27 PM   #22
Rookie

cookjn's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookJacoby
Just like in all sports, the fans are interested in the stars, not the teams. A game with all the schools but generic players simply won't sell well in this day and age, even if there is customization galore. Even with that option, the software developer might be liable as O'Bannon's lawsuit specifically addressed the ability to create your own rosters as infringing on their publicity rights. The only way to be able to get a game is to have a bunch of developers write an open source game on the PC or phone/tablets for free. That is not an easy task at all, and the results will certainly pale to what most sports game fans are willing to accept.
I disagree with this sentiment. College football stars just aren't on their teams long enough to make a real impact with the average fan. How many fans can tell you about Jauan Jennings or Jourdan Lewis? How many fans knew who Lamar Jackson was around the time a new NCAA would have been theoretically released? As long as EA makes a game that replicates the excitement of college football and gives us each team's relative talent level, I firmly believe that people will buy it.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:32 AM   #23
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39
Supreme Court Rejects Hearing of O'Bannon Case

Maybe it's just me, but I can't wrap my head around not being able to release a NCAA game with real teams/stadiums/fight songs and no rosters. When you start each game players are randomly generated before each game in Play Now or at start of Dynasty in that mode.

Therefore, everyone would have different rosters in their dynasty, avoid any players saying their likeness was being used.

And obviously the key would be No Custom Rosters or player editing.

Maybe I'm just missing something in this whole thing that would make the above non compliant with the issue.

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies
Old 10-04-2016, 12:38 AM   #24
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

For those looking for a college fix, try an online league using Bowl Bound. The game is updated to have the post season tournament, etc.

I loved NCAA 14 as well, and while it's not a console game, we're having a blast in our SSG college football league.

It's special beating someone without a gamepad.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »