Home

Final Verdict: No Huddle Offenses

This is a discussion on Final Verdict: No Huddle Offenses within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-04-2017, 10:37 AM   #1
MVP

grismosw's Arena

OVR: 15

I have been playing quite a bit of NCAA 14 the last few months and really have enjoyed it more so now than ever.

One thing I did though was remove no huddle offenses from the game because if I remember correctly there was some issue with it - the play calling by CPU being a big one if I recall correctly.

I do hate the fact that it's no longer an option though and have been contemplating bringing it back.

So I am curious what is the final verdict? Anyone still allowing it? Anyone running it themselves?

I really wouldn't mind starting a new dynasty with Texas Tech and going fast just like they do in RL but I feel like I won't get the desired results because of poor implementation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by grismosw
I have been playing quite a bit of NCAA 14 the last few months and really have enjoyed it more so now than ever.

One thing I did though was remove no huddle offenses from the game because if I remember correctly there was some issue with it - the play calling by CPU being a big one if I recall correctly.

I do hate the fact that it's no longer an option though and have been contemplating bringing it back.

So I am curious what is the final verdict? Anyone still allowing it? Anyone running it themselves?

I really wouldn't mind starting a new dynasty with Texas Tech and going fast just like they do in RL but I feel like I won't get the desired results because of poor implementation.

I allow it. There's positives and negatives when it comes to no huddle. I wouldn't ever run it because that's not the type of offense I like to use. What were the problems that involved no huddle?
Old 01-04-2017, 11:16 AM   #3
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Final Verdict: No Huddle Offenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by grismosw

I'm a run-first spread option guy and I always run it. I tried a RnS dynasty and I ran it there too. I'll huddle after a loss and when my guys need a rest, but that's about it. The only house rule I have involving the no huddle is that I always let the D get set 1st before I snap the ball.

I also let all coaches that are supposed to run the no huddle run it. The only change I make with it is to correctly use "aggressive" and "normal" no huddle setting. While aggressive sounds faster, it's slower as the skill guys frequently look to the sideline to do a "check with me." Normal no huddle coaches don't have they're guys do that so it's much faster paced. The game pretty much uses these in the opposite manner so I switch it up to give hyper no huddle coaches (Malzahn, Kelly, Meyer, etc) "normal" no huddle and slower no huddle teams (most no huddle teams) "aggressive" no huddle.

To my knowledge people have a few issues with no huddle.
1. They simply don't like it. To each their own.
2. They can't call their D plays quickly enough so it makes the game too hard for them. You'll get better in time and using a CPB helps a TON as you can put your plays in any order you want so you always know where all of your plays are located.
3. They say the CPU keeps calling the same plays over and over, I think usually in a row. I've experimented with this and paid attention to it, but I've never seen this issue. With that said, this is the biggest issue with the no huddle among those that have an issue with it so there's probably something to it, I've just personally never seen it, even after hours of experimentation.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 01-04-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:27 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 13

IIRC, a lot of it has the do with the game having no subsitution feature for either offense or defense while it's happening. Just leads up to everything becoming an unbalanced mess as the offense artificially "heats up" to red as it massacres a fatigued defense, since neither can sub in fresh players.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Dozier
IIRC, a lot of it has the do with the game having no subsitution feature for either offense or defense while it's happening. Just leads up to everything becoming an unbalanced mess as the offense artificially "heats up" to red as it massacres a fatigued defense, since neither can sub in fresh players.

Why would that be a problem, and how is that different than real life? (This isn't a snarky question either because what you just described is exactly why teams run the no huddle in real life and why coaches like Saban and Bielema hate it so much)

EDIT: LMFAO! Tapatalk autocorrected "Saban" to "Satan"

Last edited by jello1717; 01-04-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I'm a run-first spread option guy and I always run it. I tried a RnS dynasty and I ran it there too. I'll huddle after a loss and when my guys need a rest, but that's about it. The only house rule I have involving the no huddle is that I always let the D get set 1st before I snap the ball.

I also let all coaches that are supposed to run the no huddle run it. The only change I make with it is to correctly use "aggressive" and "normal" no huddle setting. While aggressive sounds faster, it's slower as the skill guys frequently look to the sideline to do a "check with me." Normal no huddle coaches don't have they're guys do that so it's much faster paced. The game pretty much uses these in the opposite manner so I switch it up to give hyper no huddle coaches (Malzahn, Kelly, Meyer, etc) "normal" no huddle and slower no huddle teams (most no huddle teams) "aggressive" no huddle.

To my knowledge people have a few issues with no huddle.
1. They simply don't like it. To each their own.
2. They can't call their D plays quickly enough so it makes the game too hard for them. You'll get better in time and using a CPB helps a TON as you can put your plays in any order you want so you always know where all of your plays are located.
3. They say the CPU keeps calling the same plays over and over, I think usually in a row. I've experimented with this and paid attention to it, but I've never seen this issue. With that said, this is the biggest issue with the no huddle among those that have an issue with it so there's probably something to it, I've just personally never seen it, even after hours of experimentation.

yeah like you said, I've never seen the same play run over and over for no huddle offenses. And for defense, you have just enough time to call and audible and make quick adjustments, so if you know you're going to face a no huddle offense, just adjust your audibles for that game. It's not that bad. I don't know why peoples can't stand it
Old 01-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #7
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Oh yeah, and I have 1 more no huddle house rule. I only allow my DC to take 1 point in the no huddle skill and my OC can only take 2 points in it. 3 means my guys never get tired, 1 means they get gassed way too quickly. With 2 they still need to be subbed out frequently but can still go 5 or 6 plays in a row without breaking their backs constantly. I also lower all of my guys' INJ ratings and that, combined with my coords' no huddle settings equals a nice balance of injuries for my guys with WAAAAAY more injuries than default, but not too many.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:08 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

The only other issue I'm aware of (and a very minor one at that), is there is a known problem while running a no huddle offense where the Center will simply snap the ball to himself and start running up the middle of the field. Both User controlled and CPU do this.

I don't think people are quite sure what causes it yet, but this is a very minor issue in my opinion.

Other than that I think allowing no huddle is perfectly fine. The whole point is to throw the defense off by not allow substitutions, not allowing the defense to get properly aligned/get new play calls in to adjust to play calls, and etc.

I do see on occasion where the CPU runs the same play over and over, but this is typically against a team that is not running a no huddle offense. By this I mean those times when you are winning late in the 4th and the CPU is trying to score to catch up, so every team runs a no huddle to conserve time. So this might be an issue with the CPU teams not meant to be a no huddle team not understanding how to change the plays maybe?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »