Home

How well has this game aged?

This is a discussion on How well has this game aged? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2017, 07:47 PM   #9
MVP

whughes's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How well has this game aged?

This game definitely has its flaws, but it's still one of the best ever imo. At $8 it's a steal, id still pay $25 for this game and have no qualms about it

Fan of:
Chicago Bears
U of M Wolverines
CMU Chippewas

Old 04-21-2017, 08:06 AM   #10
Just started!

College football is usually a young man’s game, but occasionally an old timer finds his way onto the field. With this fall’s schedule finally in full swing, let’s take a look at four players who didn’t let their relatively advanced ages keep them off of the gridiron.
1. TOM THOMPSON, AUSTIN COLLEGE
In November 2009, Thompson cemented his place as the grand old man of college football when he booted an extra point for the Austin College Kangaroos in a game against Division III power Trinity. Thompson, a 61-year-old graduate student at Austin, had been a backup kicker in high school, but he dusted off his kicking skills for the first time in four decades to make the big boot. The story would have been something right out of a movie if not for the final score; Trinity waxed Austin 44-10.
2. ALAN MOORE, HOLMES COMMUNITY COLLEGE/FAULKNER UNIVERSITY
Moore kicked as a freshman at Jones County Junior College in 1968. At the end of the season he headed off to fight in the Vietnam War, and once his tour of duty was over Moore never managed to get back onto the gridiron. Until last fall, that is. After getting laid off from his job in 2009, Moore moved to Mississippi to be near his grandchildren and found he once again had the urge to kick. He bought kicking shoes, built a goal post in his daughter’s yard, and started practicing. After a failed attempt to rejoin his old squad at Jones County, the 60-year-old kicker with 40-plus-yard range suited up for Holmes Community College for the 2010 season. This year—at age 61—Moore made the squad at Faulkner University in Montgomery, Alabama.
3. MIKE FLYNT, SUL ROSS STATE
Back in 2007, Flynt told his pals that his biggest regret was getting kicked off of his college football team. When a friend challenged Flynt to do something about it, the 59-year-old grandfather sprang into action. After establishing that he still had remaining eligibility, Flynt set about rejoining the team at his alma mater, Division III Sul Ross State in Texas.Flynt wasn’t your average 59-year-old ex-jock, either. He had spent his career working as a strength and conditioning coach at schools like Tennessee and Nebraska, so he’d stayed in shape. He ended up making the Sul Ross State squad as a linebacker.
4. TIM FRISBY, SOUTH CAROLINA
When Tim Frisby tried out for South Carolina’s squad in 2004, he wasn't exactly an old man. But he wasn’t exactly the typical walk-on, either. At age 39, he was a former U.S. Army Ranger who had served in the first Gulf War and in Kosovo. He had six children. (Gamecocks coach Lou Holtz joked that putting Frisby on the roster would at least boost attendance if his whole family came to games.)

Stranger still, Frisby wanted to try out for one of the fastest spots on the roster: wide receiver. Luckily, his years in the military had preserved both his NCAA eligibility and his body; Frisby still ran a 4.6-second 40-yard dash. In 2005 Frisby notched his first career catch, a nine-yard reception, and won the team’s offensive GPA award with a 3.6 mark in his journalism major.The NCAA doesn’t keep age stats, but at the time researchers pegged Frisby as the oldest man to ever play Division I football. Both Holtz and his successor, Steve Spurrier, insisted that Frisby was on the team as a deserving possession receiver, not a novelty, but the man his teammates called “Pops” got to have some fun with his unusual age. He made it on the couch for both Letterman and Leno in that first season!
Old 04-21-2017, 11:03 AM   #11
Rookie

Kodos's Arena

OVR: 5

It has easily been my most-played game each year since the game came out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2017, 09:42 PM   #12
Rookie

dsk1317's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY4Life
PSN currently has the game on sale this week for $8 (PS+). I miss the NCAA series and running my Dynasty. Thinking about purchasing again. Are people still enjoying this game almost 4 years from the original launch. I know it's on previous Gen, but does it feel very dated?

Thanks!
Is the game still on sale for $8? If it is, I'll pick up a PS3 tomorrow.

Sent from my XT1080 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-22-2017, 05:45 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Not too bad. The graphics are meh, but what can you expect from that gen of consoles? I've gotten back into a new dynasty with some house rules that have made the game feel different in a good way. I also sim all special teams plays that way there are punts inside the 20 more often and blocked kicks occur. This also makes me not want to rely on my kicker unless he's actually well rated because you never know if he'll make it or even get blocked in the sim.

― Plato
Old 04-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #14
Rookie

OBinKC's Arena

I took a break from video game football for a couple years, so I never played the two newer Maddens. I think this is the reason I don't think the game feels too old. The graphics of PS4/XB1 might spoil you, but I think as far as gameplay goes, they did a good job building NCAA 14 for the long haul (save for not having a tournament).

Last edited by OBinKC; 04-24-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:02 PM   #15
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

My remedy for a game that might feel aged:
Go and play (or watch YouTube videos) of NCAA Football '96 for half an our or so. Then pop in NCAA '14....it will look fantastic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2017, 09:56 PM   #16
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

For $8, that's a steal.

I really like this game and wish I had more time to play it, but admittedly, games on my Switch and PS4 take up most of my time these days.

The NCAA series from 11 on have held up really well, though. Such a shame this series was discontinued (refuse to say it's dead).
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »