Home

How well has this game aged?

This is a discussion on How well has this game aged? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2017, 10:46 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 7
How well has this game aged?

PSN currently has the game on sale this week for $8 (PS+). I miss the NCAA series and running my Dynasty. Thinking about purchasing again. Are people still enjoying this game almost 4 years from the original launch. I know it's on previous Gen, but does it feel very dated?

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2017, 11:25 AM   #2
MVP

RolePlayer's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How well has this game aged?

It's awesome, Whenever you goto the dynasty section of this site it is mostly NCAA 14 so this game i still popular
Old 04-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
YaBoyRobRoy

LopaKa's Arena

OVR: 7

I'm still loving it. If you play Madden 17 then NCAA 14 will feel a bit outdated as far as graphics and gameplay are concerned, but dynasty mode is a blast and if you can get past the graphics then it's still fun.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:51 AM   #4
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY4Life
PSN currently has the game on sale this week for $8 (PS+). I miss the NCAA series and running my Dynasty. Thinking about purchasing again. Are people still enjoying this game almost 4 years from the original launch. I know it's on previous Gen, but does it feel very dated?

Thanks!
This game has its share of problems... like all games do, but it's the level of the problems that most concerns me. For example, you're in dynasty mode and the other team punts, there's a 99% chance the punt will bounce and go through the end zone - which is annoying that they didn't give the CPU better awareness on punting - anyway, you'll start your drive at the 20.

If you go 13 plays or 16 plays and score a TD, that's an 80 yard drive. But on EA's drive chart after you score, it will say: 16 plays, 74 yards and however much time that drive took.

When they couldn't even get basic math correct, that's troubling!!!

Another problem... say you're driving and your back or receiver gets the ball, could be a pass or a hand-off, and he fumbles. However, the CPU decides it wants to look at the replay and they determine that your guy was down BEFORE fumbling the ball.

Now let's say, again, that the drive started on the 20, but your guy fumbled on the other team's 28. After you score a TD, instead of saying you went however many plays and 80 yards, it will say that you went only 28 yards. They have it configured to start your drive over after the fumble which wasn't even a fumble!!!

You want worse? Okay, you're on defense and you intercept a pass and start at midfield. Let's say you take 8 plays to score a TD. Now, on the drive chart it will say 9 plays, 46 yards and whatever time you took from the clock. An interception doesn't and shouldn't count as the start of a drive. A drive is put together by the offense. But the powers that be at EA couldn't figure this out.

Another major problem... the CPU will never take time off the clock or even attempt to unless they're winning a very close game late. They made this for people that only play 5 minute quarters. They never even figured that some people would play longer quarters. I play 15 minute quarters and always win the time of possession battle like 46 to 14 or if I'm playing a no huddle offense, then I'll win 51 to 9 or 52 to 8. That's horrible!

So, while the game is still fun and definitely worth $8.00, just know that there are some things about it that are maddening. I mean, this game came out in 2013, less than 4 years ago, and the problems with simple math and counting a turnover as the start of a new drive just drive me crazy.

It's sad that EA had to crap the bed and ruin it for us all, because one would hope that by now, they'd have a pretty good game out. It certainly is worth $8.00, just know that there are some really frustrating problems with it as well.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:54 PM   #5
Rookie

This is a great game. Unfortunately in my OD the dreaded xp glitch is showing up which is ruining it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2017, 03:20 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Overall it's a great game, but while we're venting...

The CPU punting is brutal. I now try to fair catch balls inside the 20 or let longer punts that would be caught at the 35 bounce and go inside the 20 to even things out. Human punting is bad too. There are almost no minimal or moderate bounces...it's always an extra 20 yards and into the end zone.

No matter what sliders I try, the CPU offense is largely inept. They can't run the ball and can barely throw it. That is, until I'm up by 3 or 4 TDs in the 4th quarter. Junk time TDs - TDs pile up in the fourth quarter like no tomorrow.

Jump balls - deep ball, one-on-one coverage, 80% of the time it's an interception, 10% catch, 10% incompletion.

Nickelback is lined up on the left side of the field, but he is covering the flat on the right side. This blows up a lot of screen plays and results in some unrealistic INTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
This game has its share of problems... like all games do, but it's the level of the problems that most concerns me. For example, you're in dynasty mode and the other team punts, there's a 99% chance the punt will bounce and go through the end zone - which is annoying that they didn't give the CPU better awareness on punting - anyway, you'll start your drive at the 20.

If you go 13 plays or 16 plays and score a TD, that's an 80 yard drive. But on EA's drive chart after you score, it will say: 16 plays, 74 yards and however much time that drive took.

When they couldn't even get basic math correct, that's troubling!!!

Another problem... say you're driving and your back or receiver gets the ball, could be a pass or a hand-off, and he fumbles. However, the CPU decides it wants to look at the replay and they determine that your guy was down BEFORE fumbling the ball.

Now let's say, again, that the drive started on the 20, but your guy fumbled on the other team's 28. After you score a TD, instead of saying you went however many plays and 80 yards, it will say that you went only 28 yards. They have it configured to start your drive over after the fumble which wasn't even a fumble!!!

You want worse? Okay, you're on defense and you intercept a pass and start at midfield. Let's say you take 8 plays to score a TD. Now, on the drive chart it will say 9 plays, 46 yards and whatever time you took from the clock. An interception doesn't and shouldn't count as the start of a drive. A drive is put together by the offense. But the powers that be at EA couldn't figure this out.

Another major problem... the CPU will never take time off the clock or even attempt to unless they're winning a very close game late. They made this for people that only play 5 minute quarters. They never even figured that some people would play longer quarters. I play 15 minute quarters and always win the time of possession battle like 46 to 14 or if I'm playing a no huddle offense, then I'll win 51 to 9 or 52 to 8. That's horrible!

So, while the game is still fun and definitely worth $8.00, just know that there are some things about it that are maddening. I mean, this game came out in 2013, less than 4 years ago, and the problems with simple math and counting a turnover as the start of a new drive just drive me crazy.

It's sad that EA had to crap the bed and ruin it for us all, because one would hope that by now, they'd have a pretty good game out. It certainly is worth $8.00, just know that there are some really frustrating problems with it as well.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #7
Rookie

Double post
Old 04-20-2017, 04:58 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 4

I think the game is brilliant with the editor. sure it's ugly and sometimes choppy, but with the right tuning you have a great, fun game

I just finished the 2195 season, had a thrilling Detroit Bowl win over WVU as Marshall which earned me a job at Oregon. Meanwhile, Tennessee won its 3rd NC of the decade

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »