Home

Defensive Line - Run defense tips? ('14)

This is a discussion on Defensive Line - Run defense tips? ('14) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Defensive Line - Run defense tips? ('14)

Playing defense in dynasty, I'm the left end. My LE is highly rated, but I always have trouble playing the run. It seems like I'm always stuck on the right tackle and get easily pushed out of the way despite having excellent stats. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Does anyone have any defensive tips specifically for the run?

Also, as a side note, I often overrun the QB in sack situations. Any tips here would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2017, 08:12 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Defensive Line - Run defense tips? ('14)

Curious if anyone has any tips.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:57 PM   #3
Recruiting App

PocketScout's Arena

OVR: 12

I am in the process of moving so don't have all my old versions of the game with me. In one of the manuals (maybe 09-12 area) it showed the right stick moves for the defensive linemen.

I think they were Spin, Bull rush and swim. Direct you DE where you want him to go with the left stick. Once contact has been established with the olinemen flick the right stick (left, down, or right) and it will preform one of the moves listed above (I keep doing it over and over again on the right stick, don't know if it helps but that's my habit). Off hand I don't remember which move is tied to which direction but they all still work in 14. The better block shredding rating you have the easier it will be to get free.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:18 PM   #4
Recruiting App

PocketScout's Arena

OVR: 12

Ok just fired the game up to test it.

Right stick ---> Move
Up --> Spin Move
Left --> Swim Left
Right --> Swim Right
Down --> Bull Rush

If you are strong enough and the olinemen is weak you can flick Bull Rush right as you engage and just push in straight into the ground with a free path to the QB. On interior linemen I will engage then watch where the play is going then Swim to the side I need to to get free for the play. As DE I am on my Swims or Bull Rush as soon as the ball is snapped trying to get to the QB. If the OL has me held up and the Swim isn't working I try to Spin out.

EDIT: Also if you are engaged you can keep flicking down on the right stick to try and drive the olinemen back into the QB. Seems to gain much more ground then just using the left stick.

Last edited by PocketScout; 08-22-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:30 PM   #5
MVP

whughes's Arena

Everything pocketscout said is correct. I had a nose tackle who had absolutely terrible block shedding skills but close to 99 strength. If you hold the left stick towards the qb and continuously flick the right stick down you will drive the offensive lineman back. I got several sacks just by pushing the offensive lineman into the quarterback and knocking him over or triggering the stumble animation

Fan of:
Chicago Bears
U of M Wolverines
CMU Chippewas

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2017, 04:34 PM   #6
Rookie

sXeInYoFace's Arena

OVR: 3

In regards to the over-pursuit of the QB in sack situations, I believe if you hold the A button (I play on Xbox) down as you are controlling your DE, it triggers the defensive assist. This basically steers your controlled player towards the ball carrier. You still have control of your player but defensive assist points him in the right direction. I should also add that I play NCAA13 but I think defensive assist is in NCAA14 also. Hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:34 AM   #7
Pro

blackscorpion11's Arena

OVR: 13

Left stick at 6 o'clock, right stick at 4 o'clock just before you contact the offensive lineman..this should trigger a swim move.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:23 PM   #8
Pro

There is a youtube video about some of this. The guy says on PS3, move the right stick to the left I think. This has rarely worked for me. I am wondering what button and stick combinations to use to get a DE around to the QB. Do I use R2 to sprint and right stick to bull rush while I use the left stick for the direction I want to move?

Any help?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »