Home

Power coast offense

This is a discussion on Power coast offense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-07-2018, 01:57 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Power coast offense

If by power coast offense you mean like Jim Harbaugh. Then I would say Stanford would probably be a template for the offense.

I said this is in the offensive strategy thread but think it is important TE's are going to be your hybrid player. You need a good blocking and receiving TE to really make this offense go in my opinion. He can take the defense out of man coverage(by beating lb's and safeties) and dominate DB in the run game.

Obviously strong running blocking lineman are important if your going to run this offense. Also the FB is basically needs to be a faster version of a guard in this offense. Not necessarily as good of a run blocker but he needs to be able to hold up because you will be in a lot of I and offset-I formations running the ball.

But again I would look at Stanford's personnel and use that as template to building your team. You may want to look at teams like Michigan State and Iowa for TE templates. Those teams are also agood run first prostyle teams.

Hope this helps
Old 02-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnum
Wouldn't that be the exact description of a Smashmouth or Power Running Offense? Where is the West Coast influence? The entire concept of the WCO is based on establishing a short passing game to open up the run and still generally using base personnel (in contrast to Spread Offenses).
There are similar concepts, but they aren't the same thing. Smashmouth can be run out of bone formations, and typically features the fullback as a ballcarrier more than Powercoast would. A lot of option teams would be considered smashmouth.

The main difference comes from the passing game though. Power coast is just a west coast offense, with power running concepts. A power coast passing game still features a majority of snag and stick. The qb is typically only taking 3 and 5 step drops. Slants and passes to backs in the flat are a staple.

Smashmouth is "3 yards and a cloud of dust". The passing game is built off of playaction, and then taking shots downfield. The goal is to get vertical, and take the top off of the defense, when the safties come up, in your typical smashmouth O. You'll have QB's taking 7 step drops, and the ball travels a much greater distance, in the air, on average.

Example:
Jim Harbaugh = Power Coast
Rex Ryan = Smashmouth (Mike Mularkey, if you want an OC/HC example)

A Power coast is just an offshoot of the West Coast.

Last edited by jyod21; 02-16-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #11
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Doing something like this out of the gun and if you can get a mobile QB it's awesome.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2018, 08:20 PM   #12
Rookie

Willie Taggart has run this offense. I would imagine USF playbook is probably this. A disciple of the Harbaugh's ( played and coached under Jack, Coached with Jim) he runs what is called the " gulf coast offense" a modified version he created from what he learned from the Harbaugh's and what he learned from Art Briles.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:01 PM   #13
Rookie

I’ll tell you this when I’m running this offense it’s about power and fast passes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2021, 10:18 AM   #14
Rookie

Any updates on this offense?

Old 02-03-2021, 08:42 PM   #15
Rookie

Well!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2021, 08:30 PM   #16
Rookie

Why no sabers!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »