Home

Getting Closer to getting NCAA Game Back

This is a discussion on Getting Closer to getting NCAA Game Back within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-28-2018, 02:01 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: Getting Closer to getting NCAA Game Back

They should put a clause in the scholarship that your likeness can be used and then we could have football and basketball back. I would like to NCAA baseball game. The players are already being compensated with scholarships, books, trainers, best tutors, chance to play for pros, etc...

PS3 NCAA 2014 Dynasty - Rags to Riches Online Dynasty - South Alabama
Old 03-01-2018, 02:28 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

I honestly think that if they just passed around waivers to all student athletes asking for them to sign away their rights to be in a video game that probably 75% of the players would sign it and be happy to just be in the game. Hell, most would probably do it for a copy of the game itself, if that were allowed.

But there is probably a way to give them some money in the deal and just set it aside for when their playing career is over.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:21 PM   #11
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBlue
I honestly think that if they just passed around waivers to all student athletes asking for them to sign away their rights to be in a video game that probably 75% of the players would sign it and be happy to just be in the game. Hell, most would probably do it for a copy of the game itself, if that were allowed.

But there is probably a way to give them some money in the deal and just set it aside for when their playing career is over.
I agree, most guys just want a game and are not concerned with the small check it would produce for them.

On the bold part, my understanding is that EA offered this idea, and the NCAA rejected it saying it still infringed on the "amateur" status.

Major Boise State fan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2018, 08:36 AM   #12
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:

How could EA or any other company pay NCAA players? Do you realize how many there are? Thousands in just one sport. They could never sell enough copies of one title to ever pay all of them. I don't think it is even realistic to think paying them would ever work.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:01 AM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusefan74
How could EA or any other company pay NCAA players? Do you realize how many there are? Thousands in just one sport. They could never sell enough copies of one title to ever pay all of them. I don't think it is even realistic to think paying them would ever work.
They already had the deal worked out. They were just waiting to see if the NCAA would permit it. And they paid millions in settlements, they apparently have deep pockets.

Here’s some good reading on the matter.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.co...ts-video-games

“Electronic Arts wanted to pay for the right to use complete player identities. It wanted every college roster and every roster of top teams from the past. It wanted every college player’s name. It wanted a license to publish everything about the players and their identities within college hoops. EA didn’t care if it had to pay the NCAA, the schools, the players, the former players, or some combination of them for that right.

This isn’t surprising at all if you think about it. EA is in the business of making video games. It’s not in the business of propping up amateurism. It doesn’t care about amateurism. Never has. Never will.

And consider EA’s slogan for its sports video games, “It’s in the game.” EA only wants to publish the most realistic sports games possible. Why is that? Because the most realistic games are the kinds of games that sell the best.

So why aren’t there college games with complete players’ identities? It’s because of the NCAA.

The NCAA told EA that the video game publisher couldn’t pay for the complete identity rights of college players. So that stopped EA from obtaining them. If the NCAA had let EA pay us, all of you gamers out there would have your college sports games. So don’t blame me. Blame the NCAA for refusing to change its rules in the face of basic common sense, not to mention consumer demand.”
Old 03-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #14
Rookie

FarFromEer's Arena

IMO, I think the best option for bringing back the game would be to go retro. Release it 5 years after the fact. NCAA football 2015 will be released in 2020. The game makers can then create real rosters by paying the athletes after they have utilized their NCAA eligibility. The schools make money by licensing the logos and stadiums and the coaches and athletes cash in on their likenesses. Any coach or athlete that doesn't want in on the plan, or has been granted extra eligibility by the NCAA, is swapped to a fictional player with a different number, hometown, height, weight, etc.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:15 PM   #15
MVP

Quote:
They already had the deal worked out. They were just waiting to see if the NCAA would permit it. And they paid millions in settlements, they apparently have deep pockets.

“Electronic Arts wanted to pay for the right to use complete player identities. It wanted every college roster and every roster of top teams from the past. It wanted every college player’s name. It wanted a license to publish everything about the players and their identities within college hoops. EA didn’t care if it had to pay the NCAA, the schools, the players, the former players, or some combination of them for that right.

This isn’t surprising at all if you think about it. EA is in the business of making video games. It’s not in the business of propping up amateurism. It doesn’t care about amateurism. Never has. Never will.

And consider EA’s slogan for its sports video games, “It’s in the game.” EA only wants to publish the most realistic sports games possible. Why is that? Because the most realistic games are the kinds of games that sell the best.

So why aren’t there college games with complete players’ identities? It’s because of the NCAA.

The NCAA told EA that the video game publisher couldn’t pay for the complete identity rights of college players. So that stopped EA from obtaining them. If the NCAA had let EA pay us, all of you gamers out there would have your college sports games. So don’t blame me. Blame the NCAA for refusing to change its rules in the face of basic common sense, not to mention consumer demand.”
I wonder if instead of paying players directly EA could do something along the lines of establishing a fund for medical research. Perhaps a CTE foundation to research and treat CTE in current and former football players would get college players, schools and conferences to sign waivers.

The issue then becomes how much it would cost but it might be a way to get the game back on the tracks while helping the athletes.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:48 PM   #16
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:

I tried to read it and I can't. As soon as the race thing came up I stopped. Nothing about this is race related, but that is the first thing mentioned.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »