Home

Getting Closer to getting NCAA Game Back

This is a discussion on Getting Closer to getting NCAA Game Back within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2018, 12:32 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Getting Closer to getting NCAA Game Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusefan74
How could EA or any other company pay NCAA players? Do you realize how many there are? Thousands in just one sport. They could never sell enough copies of one title to ever pay all of them. I don't think it is even realistic to think paying them would ever work.
They wouldn't just get money from sales. They would make money from the schools and/or NCAA by putting them in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #26
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusefan74
It doesn't matter what other hurdles there are. There is no way that any game company could afford to pay all the players in the NCAA. Also paying players is not gonna happen anytime soon it seems, and it shouldn't.
There is nothing wrong with paying the players for their likeness. It is stupid that the players do not get paid for their image. It's not like this is going to effect recruiting, where some players would get paid more than others. The pay would be regulated.

Also, you wouldn't have to pay every player. They could just pay the 70 man rosters on all the power 5 schools. For the other schools, just put generic players in there.

Pay each player $100 plus a copy of the game. That would be roughly $420,000.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #27
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
The cancellation of the game had nothing to do with EA wanting the real players. They cancelled because big conferences and schools started pulling out during the whole lawsuit thing about the players. EA was fine with randomizing rosters and losing the NCAA license (they had announced the series would be rebranded as College Football 15 before cancelling).
Yeah, I know the mounting legal fight and schools/conferences wanting out was the reason the game got canceled. I was just pointing out that EA wanted the real players at one point. The NCAA wouldn't allow it, though.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:39 PM   #28
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigahs
There is nothing wrong with paying the players for their likeness. It is stupid that the players do not get paid for their image. It's not like this is going to effect recruiting, where some players would get paid more than others. The pay would be regulated.

Also, you wouldn't have to pay every player. They could just pay the 70 man rosters on all the power 5 schools. For the other schools, just put generic players in there.

Pay each player $100 plus a copy of the game. That would be roughly $420,000.
So you are gonna pay just 70 players on a team that has more then that. I don't think that is gonna go over real well with the guys left off the 70 man roster in the game.

Then you are only gonna do power 5 schools, why? There is no doubt that the non power 5 schools players are gonna be upset about this. Which could lead to it effecting recruiting, if they know they are gonna make money. Not to mention a bunch of potential customers that their favorite school is not a power 5 school and refuse to buy the game because there team is not the real players.

And last but not least...what one of these guys are gonna except just $100 for their likeness. Maybe at first, then all of a sudden they will be wanting more, and then they won't be in the game at all because they aren't getting enough.

So, so, many holes in trying to pay college players to be in a game. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with people being paid for their likeness, but there are just so many problems trying to do it with college athletes.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:58 AM   #29
Pro

I really don't see it as being that difficult to accomplish.

Unless I made a mistake, when looking at the numbers: Dating back to NCAA Football 11, every year of the game has sold roughly 2 million copies. A new game costs 60 bucks. Let's say retailers pay EA $45 (may be more like $50) per copy to leave room for their profit - that's roughly 90 million in sales. There are currently 130 teams. Estimating each of them with 100 players, that's 13,000 players total. Give every player 1,000 dollars and that's 13 million in total player payouts per year. So, every player, even if they aren't and never will be a star, has the potential to get 4,000 dollars from their "likeness" being involved in the game. How much do these kids really expect to be paid for this?

Now, I know that out of that 90 million that EA makes there are tons of people and sub-companies who have to be paid, sure, but after taking out the players' money they are left with roughly 77 million dollars. So, we're expected to believe that $77,000,000, give or take, isn't enough to pay everyone else and still turn a huge profit? Tell yee what, I'll switch day jobs with them.

Or am I missing something?
Old 03-07-2018, 01:28 PM   #30
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscaloosa

Unless I made a mistake, when looking at the numbers: Dating back to NCAA Football 11, every year of the game has sold roughly 2 million copies. A new game costs 60 bucks. Let's say retailers pay EA $45 (may be more like $50) per copy to leave room for their profit - that's roughly 90 million in sales. There are currently 130 teams. Estimating each of them with 100 players, that's 13,000 players total. Give every player 1,000 dollars and that's 13 million in total player payouts per year. So, every player, even if they aren't and never will be a star, has the potential to get 4,000 dollars from their "likeness" being involved in the game. How much do these kids really expect to be paid for this?

Now, I know that out of that 90 million that EA makes there are tons of people and sub-companies who have to be paid, sure, but after taking out the players' money they are left with roughly 77 million dollars. So, we're expected to believe that $77,000,000, give or take, isn't enough to pay everyone else and still turn a huge profit? Tell yee what, I'll switch day jobs with them.

That sounds about right, in so far as any of us really know. I still think EA or 2K would go the fictional route over paying every single player. They'd sign the biggest college players like the Heisman winner or something. But the majority of the rest would I think volunteer their likeness. Hopefully we hear something later this summer once the NCAA announces whatever changes they're making. That'll tell us what tyoe of structure could conceivable lead to a return of college sports games.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:15 PM   #31
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
That sounds about right, in so far as any of us really know. I still think EA or 2K would go the fictional route over paying every single player. They'd sign the biggest college players like the Heisman winner or something. But the majority of the rest would I think volunteer their likeness. Hopefully we hear something later this summer once the NCAA announces whatever changes they're making. That'll tell us what tyoe of structure could conceivable lead to a return of college sports games.
Man, I hope so. After all these years of EA NCAA, I would actually prefer a fictional 2K game in which we could build the rosters for. That would be epic. I can remember some great times playing NFL2K on Dreamcast.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2018, 09:52 PM   #32
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscaloosa

I think my idea could work - EA proposes contributing $ to CTE medical research in exchange for waivers from conferences, schools and athletes.

Currently the athletes get nothing. This would potentially benefit the athletes more than a few bucks they will spend quickly. If I was an executive at EA I'd at least set up a meeting with conference commissioners and give a presentation with medical personnel there to explain the research.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »