Home

Getting Closer to getting NCAA Game Back

This is a discussion on Getting Closer to getting NCAA Game Back within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2018, 09:53 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Getting Closer to getting NCAA Game Back

With all of the college hoops scandals coming out, it appears that the NCAA is going to revamp the rules in the off season and players will be getting compensated in some way. At the very least they will be able to profit off of their likeness. I would not be surprised if we saw a new game this time next year.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...amid-fbi-probe
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2018, 11:15 AM   #2
Rookie

MDSavageBeast's Arena

Re: Getting Closer to getting NCAA Game Back

This would be so huge. I can only imagine a CFM for a college game. The possibilities are endless.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:03 PM   #3
Rookie

FarFromEer's Arena

Emmert's comments are to mean changes are coming with regards basketball and agents, not schools or the NCAA paying players. He said “We need to act and have changes in place before tipoff of next season. Failure to do that will really erode everyone’s confidence in what this wonderful game is truly all about.” "Tipoff" is basketball only. This article seems to explain it better:

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.c...ge-basketball/

Sorry, but pay-for-play isn't coming any time soon. Yes, players can now get a “cost of attendance” stipend, but that is tied to cost of attendance vs. scholarship value. There is no connection between the stipend value and any outside funding source (sponsorships, likeness usage, or donations).

Last edited by FarFromEer; 02-26-2018 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-26-2018, 09:36 PM   #4
MVP

The only way I see another college game happening is if a controlling entity like an athletes union organizes the athletes and pushes for full cost of scholarship and other benefits. Then a game could sign a deal with the union.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:16 AM   #5
Rookie

FarFromEer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
The only way I see another college game happening is if a controlling entity like an athletes union organizes the athletes and pushes for full cost of scholarship and other benefits. Then a game could sign a deal with the union.
Except that college football players cannot unionize because they are students, not employees:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/18/s...-unionize.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
Pro

I think (and hope) one of these "fill in the blank" football games will make the market long before an actual NCAA game is produced again. With the dedication of this community we could make our own college football landscape with one of those games. I'd love to see what our roster and editor guys could do with a game that is designed to be customized. The thought of a "football minecraft" makes me salivate. I just hope the companies can get the money up and get the game right.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:05 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfeenathan
Except that college football players cannot unionize because they are students, not employees:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/18/s...-unionize.html
I remember when that happened and I haven't seen anything since on the topic but that NLRB ruling was limited in scope and applied to individual schools unionizing.

Not saying it is going to happen but it is possible if they work out the details and I see it as the only way to get another NCAA game in the future. The reason professional sports have games but not college now is precisely for this reason.

I do believe a generic game with generic schools and generic players would pass legal muster but the fact no such game has been made for current generation machines is an indication the developers don't see a demand.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:44 AM   #8
Rookie

There certainly won't be a true college football game with real programs any time soon. For that to actually happen one would have to be worked on behind the scenes and pretty much ready to roll by the time any decision in the favor to have it comes out. You would have to think that any college game is about 3-5 years away at any given time.

And the easiest route that seems to be willing to occur in our favor is that schools themselves negotiate with EA or another developer and allow their team and stadium to be used within a game, much like what has happened with NBA2k series. You may not get all of the schools, but if they got enough of the power teams it might be a product worth making again for some company.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »