Home

Defense

This is a discussion on Defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-05-2019, 01:50 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Defense

How important is the Block Shedding rating to players actually beating blocks?

I know, I know, it seems obvious it should, but I am not sure that it matters more than other factors. For instance, I see plenty of plays where the outcome looks really scripted, and ratings don't seem to matter. If I suspect a run and come out with run heavy defenders, like a 4-4, sometimes whatever play the CPU calls just dominates my whole defense. I might see the OL some how create a huge hole, every player is dominated, several are pancaked, and the RB bursts through for at least 10 yards. This will happen no matter how high the BSH ratings are for my front 8.

In fact, it seems to me that the most important factor is just whatever the CPU script says the outcome will be on a given down, and given the offensive and defensive play calls. All of the player ratings seem to be a far second to whatever the play outcome is supposed to be.

I should add that this is what I see playing on Heisman. Is it different playing All American? Is it less scripted on AA, or is all of NCAA 14 that way?
Old 03-05-2019, 09:24 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Defense

Sliders and house rules are vital to get gameplay that generally feels competitive without being cheesy. There will always be games here and there that do.

If you’re running dynasty, one thing that you have to be mindful of is recruiting. When your team is stacked, everything is easy no matter your sliders.

You can edit playbooks. That’s helpful. Ultimately once you play long enough you figure out some things about what opponents do. I find myself adjusting throughout the game and it’s really cool to see the chess match.

Now after saying all that, here’s what I’ll say about gameplay:

You need to know what each coverage is designed to do. On top of that, you need to know how each coverage plays in the game itself. Once you do that you can kind of figure out who to control and what to do.

I personally don’t control my player at first. I let the CPU make the first move unless I know what the CPU is doing. If I bring DB pressure, it’s almost always from the short side. I usually control the MLB. Doing that allows me to play zone and break off the zone if the QB scrambles. In this game, once the QB tucks the ball and runs, they really don’t throw it so you don’t have to worry about vacating the zone.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »