Home

Stamina Ratings/Player Rotation

This is a discussion on Stamina Ratings/Player Rotation within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-31-2018, 11:25 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Stamina Ratings/Player Rotation

I've been searching through threads and posts about Dynasty House Rules, and sliders and all that and am VERY happy with where my game is right now. Only thing I could think to improve would be the stamina ratings. I've read about these before and haven't really been able to hammer anything down. I've got the injuries pretty good from the slider set of lowering each players injury ratings to see more injuries creating a need for quality depth. I'd like to do something similar with the stamina, so if anyone already has these, or has any input that would be appreciated. I'm looking at lowering each freshman or newcomer individually to see more rotation at the RB, WR and all defensive positions, the problem is how much should each be lowered. Thanks in advance for any input.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2018, 12:02 PM   #2
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Re: Stamina Ratings/Player Rotation

In my experience, the best method is to use formation subs. For example my #2 RB has 4-5 formations where he is in. It seems a lot of guys do this and just turn off fatigue.

Messing with the sub in/out from the coach menu is far too touchy, and results in too much subbing even with a minor adjustment so your #2 winds up in the game more than your #1.

Lowering stamina/fatigue just makes your players gassed by the 3rd quarter.

Major Boise State fan
Old 05-31-2018, 12:19 PM   #3
Rookie

I've done that before, but my only problem with that is I use "corso pick" for play calling so I don't fall into the money plays. I've debated creating limited playbooks but run into the same problem...I don't choose formation, and corso pick NEVER uses the full playbook either, it seems to really like the draws and screens, and even worse in the 2 minute drill it only picks 4 verts...so that's another problem, but its the only solution I've been able to find. any suggestions on this too? if I pick my plays for 2 minute drill i'll go right down the field...but otherwise its 4 verts only...so I've hit an impass.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:33 PM   #4
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKEjcl41
I've done that before, but my only problem with that is I use "corso pick" for play calling so I don't fall into the money plays. I've debated creating limited playbooks but run into the same problem...I don't choose formation, and corso pick NEVER uses the full playbook either, it seems to really like the draws and screens, and even worse in the 2 minute drill it only picks 4 verts...so that's another problem, but its the only solution I've been able to find. any suggestions on this too? if I pick my plays for 2 minute drill i'll go right down the field...but otherwise its 4 verts only...so I've hit an impass.
I don't do Corso picks. You have to make a conscious decision to open up the playbook, that's really the only way to do it in my mind. You find new plays thst work and some that don't every game, which is realistic. I try really hard to avoid using the same play more than 3-5 times in a game. If you're moving down the field too easily, there's a few ways to fix it:

-adjust your sliders for more difficulty
-Take a good look at if you're calling money plays, and consciously avoid them
-Try new playbooks for an added challenge

A realistic simulation is always my goal. It's a constant adjustment every season, whether via sliders or playbooks.

Major Boise State fan
Old 05-31-2018, 01:21 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
I don't do Corso picks. You have to make a conscious decision to open up the playbook, that's really the only way to do it in my mind. You find new plays thst work and some that don't every game, which is realistic. I try really hard to avoid using the same play more than 3-5 times in a game. If you're moving down the field too easily, there's a few ways to fix it:

-adjust your sliders for more difficulty
-Take a good look at if you're calling money plays, and consciously avoid them
-Try new playbooks for an added challenge

A realistic simulation is always my goal. It's a constant adjustment every season, whether via sliders or playbooks.

thanks for the response. The sliders are set where I like them, and its pretty difficult, so I don't wanna mess with that...but I also want a sim game...again I don't want to limit my play calling to only running plays that work 3-5 times...if a play pops up that I know works, then its a nice sight and its a go to in key situations...its a rock/hard place kinda thing, and maybe there is no answer, I like the idea of new playbooks as i'll change that to the coordinators default, just wondering what others do to combat this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2018, 02:30 PM   #6
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKEjcl41
thanks for the response. The sliders are set where I like them, and its pretty difficult, so I don't wanna mess with that...but I also want a sim game...again I don't want to limit my play calling to only running plays that work 3-5 times...if a play pops up that I know works, then its a nice sight and its a go to in key situations...its a rock/hard place kinda thing, and maybe there is no answer, I like the idea of new playbooks as i'll change that to the coordinators default, just wondering what others do to combat this.
It all depends on whats important to you: winning or realism?

For me, it's become realism. When I was younger it was winning title after title with no regard lol. 50-100 point wins, cool! 4 titles in a row? NICE! Now that's boring and no fun. Hell, a 28 point win is boring. I'll gladly lose a few games if its more realistic.

Realistically, once you call a play 5 times or so a defense will see it coming and adjust. If I run the same play action 5 times, by the 4-5th the DB's would stick on their man, LB's and DL would skip the rb and just grab the sack. If I run the same counter 5 times, no one would bite on the fake step.

Its all approximation. I don't tally plays, but if I go "hmm I think I've run this a lot" then I skip it.

It's hardest to avoid money plays if you cherish the win more than anything, I get that for sure. For many of us, a significant challenge is more important. Look at the long running dynasties and you'll see many of us go years between true title runs. Geezy hasn't had one in several years, Beast10 took like a decade of ups and downs to build his program, I've had one run in 7 years and lost the title game. It honestly keeps the game more fun.

I like using coordinator playbooks. The tough part is if you get new coordinators all the time, you have a new playbook every season. I finally turned to a custom playbook, and limit the amount of money plays I even put in it. If they're not in the playbook, I can't even try to use them! lol

A HUGE difference for me was taking out almost all read option plays. They're too easy. I have like 2 in the whole playbook. I also won't recruit a scrambling QB because the more mobile the guy is, the easier the game is.

EDIT: If you limit money plays, then by the time you're in a key situation (like down in the 4th) and bust it out for like the first time...its a gamechanger AND realistic because you haven't given the defense a look at it yet! For example, personally, if someone was watching film of my games for prep, they would be able to notice I probably don't run play action until the 2nd half in a close game...because it's a great way to revive a stale offense.

Major Boise State fan

Last edited by SilverBullet19; 05-31-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:59 PM   #7
Rookie

I'm gonna try your play calling style, and try to make an effort to get different guys involved. Thanks for your input, anyone else have suggestions?
Old 06-01-2018, 12:39 AM   #8
Get off my lawn

JHamilton9's Arena

I don't use formation subs very often. Most of the time, I use it on defense with the linebacker in nickel and dime situations.

At the beginning of drives, I'll pause the game and adjust the depth chart. I'll move my HB1 to third on the depth chart and bump up HB2 and HB3. I pretty much get carries to all three during the game, and I'll even throw in HB4 every once in a while. I like to rotate my DL in the same way, usually changing out the whole unit.

It also depends on the makeup of my team. In some seasons, I'd be heavy on the rotations, some seasons would have me using a two QB system, and some would have me focus on developing my starters. It made it interesting each season because there wasn't any one plan I could rely on.

As for play calling, I've done it a couple of different ways. I've used the "Ask Corso" screen, but it definitely limits you on the plays they select. As a coach, this might be ideal if I have a young or low AWR QB.

If I have an experienced QB, I believe the whole playbook should be open for him. That means I print out a sheet of all the plays in each formation in my playbook. Then, I limit myself to how many times I can call a play. I can call it twice a game: once in regular formation and once having it flipped. I cross out the play on my chart and don't call it for the rest of the game- including no-huddle.

I've thought about messing with the stamina ratings, but I've pretty much left them alone. With my substitutions and play-calling, just about everybody gets into the game- with maybe QB3 and QB4 not playing. Plus, I've never had a player want to transfer because of "lack of playing time."

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »