Home

Is Madden Paving The Way For A Future NCAA Football Game?

This is a discussion on Is Madden Paving The Way For A Future NCAA Football Game? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 5
Is Madden Paving The Way For A Future NCAA Football Game?

I’m not sure if this has already been covered somewhere, but I’m wondering if someone could explain the difference between what we were able to do with the NCAA video game rosters, and what Madden does with allowing people to create draft classes? If Madden can allow people to create the draft classes, why can’t people create rosters for NCAA?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Is Madden Paving The Way For A Future NCAA Football Game?

It would be nice if Madden let us create college rosters and teams like 2k does. Then we can load whatever teams you want and play a season with college teams
Old 09-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by franko3219
I’m not sure if this has already been covered somewhere, but I’m wondering if someone could explain the difference between what we were able to do with the NCAA video game rosters, and what Madden does with allowing people to create draft classes? If Madden can allow people to create the draft classes, why can’t people create rosters for NCAA?
I see your point here: if people are creating real life players without compensating them, why not an NCAA game?

In reality, this has been going on for years. New rosters for NCAA 14 are being created by those dedicated to the game for each season. Real names, hometowns, height, weight, etc. Then they're available for download to anyone. Just like those creating draft classes in madden, those who make NCAA rosters are not being paid.

The way I see it, the two aren't so different. Draft class editing is new to Madden, but kind of not so new in the grand scheme of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine34
It would be nice if Madden let us create college rosters and teams like 2k does. Then we can load whatever teams you want and play a season with college teams
Meh. Personally I have no interest in a 32 team college league. I want my 130 FBS teams (or however many there are now lol), and I'd love FCS too. Even if they're fictional, I want the full range of opponents. Otherwise, to me, it's a waste of time.

Plus the NFL won't allow it. They want their 32, and no others.

Major Boise State fan

Last edited by SilverBullet19; 09-05-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:16 PM   #4
Cupcake Coach

R1zzo23's Arena

OVR: 16

Following along with the mods thread for M19 PC version, I can only imagine how amazing an NCAA Football 19 game would be if they allowed the community to do all the work with just the Madden engine to start. I mean the amount of code they have unearthed under the hood of the game that will directly affect the gameplay alone is remarkable. Add in a customized progression/regressions system as well as recruiting and the game would be unbelievable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-05-2018, 11:14 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

The big difference between this is simply. NCAA out the box each year even though not using the players name, used thier likeness. The court can't stop us as players editing. The issue came when NCAA made the player height weight and number and so forth and put it in default in the game. Let's use Johnny Manzeil for example. They used a white QB, same height weight as Johnny, same number 2 and probably same state. That's the no no. If NCAA would just have simply has randomized rosters from the get go.. meaning using any random number height weight and color or skin.. they would have been fine and had soemwhere in the load screen that all players were randomly generated and any likeness that may have occurred where simply by chance as a warning. They could have continued. The lure of wanting everything so authentic as can be with rosters is what killed them. When all they had to do was simply give us generic randomized rosters on the disc with some sort of "warning of then not using likeness" and it would be avoided.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2018, 03:43 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 3

Couldn't a clause be in their scholarship or some other document(to cover nonscholarship players) they sign be put in their that allows their likeness to be used and the loophole be closed? It's too bad that the NCAA won't allow EASports to give the players a free copy of the game and maybe a console to play it on.

PS3 NCAA 2014 Dynasty - Rags to Riches Online Dynasty - South Alabama
Old 09-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #7
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliam
Couldn't a clause be in their scholarship or some other document(to cover nonscholarship players) they sign be put in their that allows their likeness to be used and the loophole be closed? It's too bad that the NCAA won't allow EASports to give the players a free copy of the game and maybe a console to play it on.
In theory, yes that would be a possibility. Giving them a free copy and an xbox to play it on should not be an issue. These kids are given gift packages worth $500+ or so for bowl games, so what's a $60 game? Then again, EA offered to put the money in a trust fund and pay them only once they graduated... the NCAA still said no.

It's a matter of getting the NCAA, conferences, and schools back on board. With the lawsuit coming, the NCAA pulled their name from the game, so NCAA 15 would have just been "College Football 15," which would have been fine. After that though, conferences started pulling out. If I recall, SEC and Big 10 were the first. Then schools did too, like Ohio State.

Once they had no NCAA license, little to no conferences, and started seeing schools pull out, combined with the lawsuit, the game was scrapped. They saw the writing on the wall. If they still had all the schools, people would not care if the conferences changed from "PAC 12" to "West Coast Conference," but no one would want to play if that West Coast Conference had just 8 of the 12 real schools. I wish they just would have done what Gridiron Champions is doing and make it fully customized, but that's another conversation.

It's really a shame, because supposedly 15 was going to have a major overhaul to dynasty, like stadium/facility customization.

I agree they should have the discussion, but the NCAA won't allow it. I read an article that PAC 12 reps have tried to bring up allowing compensation for likeness in yearly conferences with the NCAA for a few years now, and it always gets put off to be discussed later. Essentially, PAC 12 is our biggest advocate on the inside for a game at this point.

I don't think we will see another game until the whole likeness/profiting issue is resolved, and resolved in favor of the players being paid. It's slow moving, but I think it's moving closer and closer to players winning the battle for being able to profit from their image. They've made it to a decent stipend at this point, but all it's going to take is one lawsuit where the player wins. For example, Manziel filing a suit against A&M for profiting off his #2 jersey and he doesn't get a cut just because they don't put his name on it. Granted, that all depends on the language of their scholarship paperwork, but one win...the floodgates will open.

Major Boise State fan
Old 09-07-2018, 11:49 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

It just make a me mad that yes NCAA pulled it's rights out, but EA still had schools and conferences on board. Could just been titled College Football 15 etc. All they had to do was have generic random rosters. Would have solved everything. The push to have everything so authentic is what killed it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »