Home

Jersey Number Changes - Traditions & Superstitions

This is a discussion on Jersey Number Changes - Traditions & Superstitions within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2018, 06:45 PM   #9
MVP

brent3419's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Jersey Number Changes - Traditions & Superstitions

for me my fastest wrs wear numbers in the 10s, my starting LBs wear numbers in the 50s, and my kickers normally wear numbers in the 40s.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
MLB: Boston Red Sox, Atlanta Braves
MLS: Seattle Sounders
NCAAFB: Miami (FL), Mississippi State, Arkansas
International Soccer: AC Milan, PSG, US National Soccer, German National Soccer
Old 09-11-2018, 07:14 PM   #10
Pro

NolesFanatic17's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
One think I am heavily considering starting is "honorary doubles." It's kind of a variation of Temple's thing. At Temple, a single digit number (1-9) is considered a big honor and has to be earned.

I plan to do something similar, but with doubles. So: 11, 22, 33, 44, 55, 66, 77, 88, 99 are all big honors to be bestowed upon a player. That way lineman can get into the action too. These aren't always necessarily bestowed upon the BEST player, but maybe the most meaningful. We all know how you can build an affinity for a player, and maybe he performs way above his ratings. That's kinda what these would be for, someone with a lot of heart.

Currently, in my Sonoma State dynasty, I have retired numbers. So far just #3, he was the first (and only so far) 4 year starter at QB, came in when the program was new and set tons of records. I plan to retire #5, Ryan Newhall. Best receiver in school history and set NCAA records as well. 3 straight 100+ catch seasons if I recall correctly. Set the NCAA record for career yards and catches.

Otherwise, I just kinda pick a number that feels good on a player.

What is the criteria you have for Retiring Numbers. I have some players currently on my North Alabama State team I think will earn that honor. I’ve got some ideas for criteria (must hold major records, be a All-conference or All-American at-least 2 years in program) my biggest thing is how long did you wait after the player left your program before the Number was retired

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-11-2018, 07:28 PM   #11
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Jersey Number Changes - Traditions & Superstitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolesFanatic17
What is the criteria you have for Retiring Numbers. I have some players currently on my North Alabama State team I think will earn that honor. I’ve got some ideas for criteria (must hold major records, be a All-conference or All-American at-least 2 years in program) my biggest thing is how long did you wait after the player left your program before the Number was retired

It’s really a feel thing, along with records and such. They have to have some serious impact aside from numbers alone. I currently don’t have a guy on the roster than I think will get the honor, but things do change. Transfers are ineligible, you’ve gotta choose my school from the start lol. Here’s my logic for my two so far:

For #3 (Brian Givens), the reasons were: first 3 star recruit (highest at the time), 4 year starter, set every school record, and was instrumental I building Sonoma State into a competitive program. If it wasn’t for him, my program wouldn’t have risen so fast. He took a leap of faith at Sonoma State over some other very decent offers.

His career passing numbers won’t likely be surpassed, unless it’s a 4 year starter as well, whereas plenty of his season ones have been broken. Still though, his importance was top tier.

I retired it 2 years after he graduated, but no one wore it for either of those seasons. Our offense really struggled without him the first year.

#5 (Ryan Newhall). I haven’t officially retired it, he just finished up last season, no one is wearing it though. 3 straight 100 catch seasons, holds every receiving record except single game catches and single game TD’s. Holds NCAA record for receptions and yards. A model of consistency in his 4 years. 3 different QB’s, and was the go-to for each of them. Was clutch over and over, and I could always rely on him. Was a 1st round pick.

He was just hat receiver who was always there and hugely instrumental in back to back national titles.

The thing with me is, for someone who is the same position, it will be nearly impossible to get a number retired because it’s nearly impossible to match these guys. So it’s very, very unlikely another receiver or quarterback will get their number retired in this dynasty. For that reason, I sometimes consider making them an honorary number, bestowed to a guy in their same position of QB or WR to be worn if they are worthy. Kinda like how the Cowboys bestow 88 on a guy

Major Boise State fan

Last edited by SilverBullet19; 09-11-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2018, 08:13 PM   #12
Pro

NolesFanatic17's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
It’s really a feel thing, along with records and such. They have to have some serious impact aside from numbers alone. I currently don’t have a guy on the roster than I think will get the honor, but things do change. Transfers are ineligible, you’ve gotta choose my school from the start lol. Here’s my logic for my two so far:

For #3 (Brian Givens), the reasons were: first 3 star recruit (highest at the time), 4 year starter, set every school record, and was instrumental I building Sonoma State into a competitive program. If it wasn’t for him, my program wouldn’t have risen so fast. He took a leap of faith at Sonoma State over some other very decent offers.

His career passing numbers won’t likely be surpassed, unless it’s a 4 year starter as well, whereas plenty of his season ones have been broken. Still though, his importance was top tier.

I retired it 2 years after he graduated, but no one wore it for either of those seasons. Our offense really struggled without him the first year.

#5 (Ryan Newhall). I haven’t officially retired it, he just finished up last season, no one is wearing it though. 3 straight 100 catch seasons, holds every receiving record except single game catches and single game TD’s. Holds NCAA record for receptions and yards. A model of consistency in his 4 years. 3 different QB’s, and was the go-to for each of them. Was clutch over and over, and I could always rely on him. Was a 1st round pick.

He was just hat receiver who was always there and hugely instrumental in back to back national titles.

The thing with me is, for someone who is the same position, it will be nearly impossible to get a number retired because it’s nearly impossible to match these guys. So it’s very, very unlikely another receiver or quarterback will get their number retired in this dynasty. For that reason, I sometimes consider making them an honorary number, bestowed to a guy in their same position of QB or WR to be worn if they are worthy. Kinda like how the Cowboys bestow 88 on a guy

For my DE that has set records I’m thinking of doing something along the lines of Retiring his Jersey but not the actual Number. Cause I actually plan on his number be a hand down number that goes with my schools history. I don’t have any recruits that start yet as all my original roster starters were Freshmen and haven’t left yet. But I may borrow some of your criteria ideas for my dynasty.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscaloosa
I don't use the editor, so I don't have duplicate numbers. At least, I thought that was the only way to have duplicates...

That is correct. The game will not allow you to create duplicate numbers on a team.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #14
Rookie

1-9: QB:s
11-19: P and K, and only on special occations a WR if their number range is full.
20-29: CB
30-39: RB and FS. RB:s
40-49: FB, TE and SS. Top FB is always #44.
50-59: LB. I always have max 10 LB's dressed, so if I have 11th player, I redshirt him and have him wear any number until he is active. Then give him a 50's number.
60-69: C and G. #66 and #60 are for centers only
70-79: T, and DT:s who can also play OL of needed
80-89: WR. #88 and #80 are for my top WR's.
90-99: DL. All DE's are 90's and if a DT needs another number, he gets a 70's number.

I never change numbers if i change players position. If I move a CB to FS, he is still wearing 20's. Same if I move OT to OG or other way around.

For some reason that makes things very simple, specially when filling in spots in special teams formation subs.

And for some reasons, I always edit Revolution helmets to something else. That helmet looks so ugly in the game.

Last edited by RoyMela; 09-12-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #15
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMela
1-9: QB:s
11-19: P and K, and only on special occations a WR if their number range is full.
20-29: CB
30-39: RB and FS. RB:s
40-49: FB, TE and SS. Top FB is always #44.
50-59: LB. I always have max 10 LB's dressed, so if I have 11th player, I redshirt him and have him wear any number until he is active. Then give him a 50's number.
60-69: C and G. #66 and #60 are for centers only
70-79: T, and DT:s who can also play OL of needed
80-89: WR. #88 and #80 are for my top WR's.
90-99: DL. All DE's are 90's and if a DT needs another number, he gets a 70's number.

I never change numbers if i change players position. If I move a CB to FS, he is still wearing 20's. Same if I move OT to OG or other way around.

For some reason that makes things very simple, specially when filling in spots in special teams formation subs.

And for some reasons, I always edit Revolution helmets to something else. That helmet looks so ugly in the game.

your numbering system is very NFL like lol

I also edit helmets away from “standard” and schutt the deeper into my dynasty I get, since they become outdated, but that’s something for a whole different thread

Major Boise State fan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #16
MVP

NFL recently brought back the 40s for linebackers, though.

I like when my TEs wear 30s and 40s. I'm often more prone to a SS wearing something in the 30s or 40s and the FS wearing something in the 20s, but I'm running a 4-2-5 right now and one of my guys is definitely #17.

I appreciate how methodical some people's versions of this are. And how you guys do your number retiring.

I'm thinking of incorporating a little bit of the classic soccer number rules, but the way positions interchange is debatable. For instance, your defensive line and your defensive backs are the same thing in round football, so there would be a lot of variance. So now I'm looking up position comparisons between the sports.

Found a cool quora article: https://www.quora.com/Which-position...-to-each-other

Last edited by nofx94; 09-12-2018 at 03:34 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »