Home

Detroit's recruiting commandments (House Rules) for a better dynasty

This is a discussion on Detroit's recruiting commandments (House Rules) for a better dynasty within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2018, 09:42 AM   #1
Meow

DetroitStyle's Arena

OVR: 29
Detroit's recruiting commandments (House Rules) for a better dynasty

I came up with the following house rules to provide a fun challenge in dynasty mode. What's different about these? Feel free to use your FULL coaching tree however you please! The object of these were to limit you to only what we expect the CPU to do.

Spoiler tags below will provide an explanation for each rule. So here we go!

1) Thou shalt only add as many players to your recruiting board as you can evenly distribute max points.

Spoiler

2) Thou shalt give MAX points to all recruits on the board.
Spoiler

3) Thou shalt only target players who have you in their Top 10 and/or are in a pipeline state. You may however target 1 reach player from anywhere per season. If this reach player commits (to your team or not) he may NOT be replaced by another reach player and must be replaced by the above.
Spoiler

4) Thou shalt evenly distribute MAX points in the offseason. If you have 10,000 offseason points and want 3 recruits that's ~3,500 points per recruit (rounding is acceptable).
Spoiler

That's it! 4 simple recruiting commandments. Feel free to use your skill tree to your own strategy and get at it!

Some other thoughts.

Scouting: A lot of people like going with no scouting, but it's in the game...we need to use it! But with my house rules scouting becomes relevant. Take this example:

You have 10 recruits on the board and 5,000 points to spend. Well if you scout your max points you can give to recruits shrinks! With the board limited to 10 recruits you need to be very careful how much you scout or you may loose valuable point time on recruits you want. You can also feel free to scout and replace recruits as you wish as long as they fit the requirements.

If you spend all your time scouting and have very few top 10 interest or pipeline recruits available you may hurt yourself.

Preseason scouting becomes important too. You can use that time scout your reaches!

*NOTE* There's no limit to scouting. You can 5 players to your board, scout them and not like their results, and then replace them with 5 different players. As long as their is max players per points (as noted in Commandment 1) on your board by the time you advance the week your golden! But again, spend time scouting and lose out on how many recruits get MAX (allowable not calculated) points!

Last edited by DetroitStyle; 09-22-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2018, 10:35 AM   #2
Pro

parent22's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Detroit's recruiting commandments (House Rules) for a better dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitStyle
I came up with the following house rules to provide a fun challenge in dynasty mode. What's different about these? Feel free to use your FULL coaching tree however you please! The object of these were to limit you to only what we expect the CPU to do.

Spoiler tags below will provide an explanation for each rule. So here we go!

1) Thou shalt only add as many players to your recruiting board as you can evenly distribute max points.

Spoiler

2) Thou shalt give MAX points to all recruits on the board.
Spoiler

3) Thou shalt only target players who have you in their Top 10 and/or are in a pipeline state. You may however target 1 reach player from anywhere per season. If this reach player commits (to your team or not) he may NOT be replaced by another reach player and must be replaced by the above.
Spoiler

4) Thou shalt evenly distribute MAX points in the offseason. If you have 10,000 offseason points and want 3 recruits that's ~3,500 points per recruit (rounding is acceptable).
Spoiler

That's it! 4 simple recruiting commandments. Feel free to use your skill tree to your own strategy and get at it!

Some other thoughts.

Scouting: A lot of people like going with no scouting, but it's in the game...we need to use it! But with my house rules scouting becomes relevant. Take this example:

You have 10 recruits on the board and 5,000 points to spend. Well if you scout your max points you can give to recruits shrinks! With the board limited to 10 recruits you need to be very careful how much you scout or you may loose valuable point time on recruits you want. You can also feel free to scout and replace recruits as you wish as long as they fit the requirements.

If you spend all your time scouting and have very few top 10 interest or pipeline recruits available you may hurt yourself.

Preseason scouting becomes important too. You can use that time scout your reaches!

*NOTE* There's no limit to scouting. You can 5 players to your board, scout them and not like their results, and then replace them with 5 different players. As long as their is max players per points (as noted in Commandment 1) on your board by the time you advance the week your golden! But again, spend time scouting and lose out on how many recruits get MAX (allowable not calculated) points!
This looks cool, I will try these.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #3
Rookie

I was actually doing something very similar to this when I had 14. Only working on ten players at a time. Could not replace them until i signed them or they signed else where. Really gave you a disadvantage because you had to try and sign them quick enough or you lose out on a lot of other guys. Also I could only sign how ever many seniors I had leaving. Good stuff man!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-24-2018, 09:33 PM   #4
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3

Solid rules. Will probably adopt these if I ever start a dynasty back up.

I'd probably stick with the no scouting rule though. I personally like the feeling come signing day seeing if I have gems or busts coming to the team.

One other variation I might consider is do the "# of players leaving" rule that a lot of people do but either A) I have to divide those players by amount of recruiting points available and distribute them evenly (so if you have 15 guys leaving and 15 people on the board nobody will be maxed out) or B) I have to max out 10 guys and just leave the other 5 on the board
Old 09-27-2018, 06:48 PM   #5
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

I actually adhere to something similar myself. I've only ever gone for people who have me top 10, and actually mostly stick to top 5.

I don't keep it to only the amount I can max out, but I do narrow it down quick.
I usually start with 20 recruits. By week 2-3 I wind up eliminating about 5, or at very minimum letting them sit in the queue without many points while I focus on 10. Once I get commits and have points, I start assigning them to the guys lower on the list.

By offseason, I usually only have 1-2 guys left that I'm going for anyway. I only recruit my graduating seniors +3 to account for transfers and early draft guys. So if I have 12 seniors, I can only sign 15 recruits, for example.

I have found just using a few general provisions like this is the best. If you start limiting the amount of 3/4/5 star recruits, or where you can recruit them from, etc, it becomes very convoluted and hard to abide by. At least for me that is.

My other general provision is no redshirting 5 star players. I also avoid athletes at QB, as scrambling QB's make the game easy.

Major Boise State fan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2018, 12:50 PM   #6
Rookie

I used a 300 mile radius around the college city to decide where I can recruit. Since i'm using Kansas the states that touch that circle are Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska and Oklahoma. That makes it pretty hard to recruit as there aren't a lot of top tier recruits in those states -- Illinois and Oklahoma are probably the best. So from there i just use my judgement; would it be realistic if I recruited this guy and he showed interest in my school? That's about all I've needed through my first recruiting class with Kansas.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:56 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP
I'd probably stick with the no scouting rule though. I personally like the feeling come signing day seeing if I have gems or busts coming to the team.
I do this as well, highly recommend it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »