Home

wow, ncaa 2005 is getting tore up

This is a discussion on wow, ncaa 2005 is getting tore up within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2004, 08:21 PM   #9
MVP

warnerwlf98's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: wow, ncaa 2005 is getting tore up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aukevin
I don't think this game is bad, I like it more than last year. The HFA is awesome. My only complaint is the dropped passes. Every game I get all these dropped passes and it frusterates me to no end. But that isn't keep me from enjoying this game more than any other game.

Exactly. I got used to the tougher pass D. It's just that those drops are really frustrating. When you actually find an open receiver, you should be rewarded - instead, you earn a drop sometimes.

-OS Radio Show

(I don't remember who said this but PM me who did say it, and I'll quote him properly)
Old 08-26-2004, 08:56 PM   #10
L*n*m*n.

MAC65UNITY's Arena

OVR: 6

I have to say I love almost everything about this game but the things I hate will not stop me from playing or saying i am taking it back or some crap like that.
Just make adjustments and move on. For example i was used to tulsa's playbook and loved alot of the plays but this year i based my custom playbook after it and alot of plays were taken out and new ones put in,did I freak out?NO I learned the new plays and now love them just as much as I did last years.I wish alot of the people who bash this game stop and think of different ways to play the game instead of the 2004 or past games way. It is a new year and a new game learn to play it NEW!
Nothing will ever be perfect but to say this game has not improved YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!look at HFA and the new way to recruit,a smarter pass defense,a tad bit improvement on graphics,custom playbooks basically there are more positives to me than negatives but I know everyone sees it different but as for me I LOVE THIS GAME IT IS GRRRRREATTTT!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2004, 08:59 PM   #11
umd
MVP

umd's Arena

OVR: 16

I loved this game last year. Won't pick it up again this year for even a game. I'm not talking offline. I LIVE online and NCAA 05 online is a game killer for me and a league killer -- no sliders kills this game online.

Always having to be guarding against the deep ball, analog blitz still there, HFA is a nice touch but overdone, the drops, the ridiculous swings in player ratings, the features that are missing from online/league play last year like weather and neutral field -- why would EA take that out? So they can reintroduce it as new like custom playbooks and eventually in dynasty mode playoffs? Sometimes I just dont get it.

this game took a few steps back online - online mind you. Offline I'm indifferent - things that plague online can be adjusted offline with sliders. But online and for leagues EA screwed it up - and its showing. Not as many successful leagues as last season, not as many guys i know that LOVED online leagues last year (who play sim straight football) even lasting past 6 weeks or one season online.

Like many of their in game receivers EA dropped the ball...unless its the 1 for 7 long ball, bomb TD they were shooting for...cause that they nailed dead on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2004, 08:13 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1

I love NCAA football... but that doesn't color my observations about this year's game. And while it has some improvements, it also has some serious problems - including some aspects (such as audio gliches, video slow down, wrong animation used etc) which worked fine in 2004, but not in 2005.

HFA and Composure are great IDEAS, but NOT correctly implimented IMHO. HFA effect is too extreme and should primarly concentrate on causing additional penalties & negating some audibles. And while Composure is certainly "in the game", it was already being used... a player's composure (or lack of it) is already factored into the individual stats! It's basically "double counting" the effect of composure on a players abilities. I actually rather like both HFA & Composure, but they really need to be toned down substantially.

Gameplay... good grief, let's not kid ourselves, the game is a bust on the default settings - didn't EA Sports play test this? A game should work reasonably well "out of the box" instead of requiring three weeks of slider adjustments. But then again, NCAA 2005 is not a simulation, it is a game.

Finally, I should state that I do like (and like tremendously) playing this game, but Madden is a much more professionally produced game and it plays so much better. It just makes me hope NCAA 2006 will be the really great game that NCAA 2005 could have been.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:18 AM   #13
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerstorer
I love NCAA football... but that doesn't color my observations about this year's game. And while it has some improvements, it also has some serious problems - including some aspects (such as audio gliches, video slow down, wrong animation used etc) which worked fine in 2004, but not in 2005.

HFA and Composure are great IDEAS, but NOT correctly implimented IMHO. HFA effect is too extreme and should primarly concentrate on causing additional penalties & negating some audibles. And while Composure is certainly "in the game", it was already being used... a player's composure (or lack of it) is already factored into the individual stats! It's basically "double counting" the effect of composure on a players abilities. I actually rather like both HFA & Composure, but they really need to be toned down substantially.

Gameplay... good grief, let's not kid ourselves, the game is a bust on the default settings - didn't EA Sports play test this? A game should work reasonably well "out of the box" instead of requiring three weeks of slider adjustments. But then again, NCAA 2005 is not a simulation, it is a game.

Finally, I should state that I do like (and like tremendously) playing this game, but Madden is a much more professionally produced game and it plays so much better. It just makes me hope NCAA 2006 will be the really great game that NCAA 2005 could have been.

I'm not sure what to think of this game either, I have been on the NCAA bandwagon for two years now and this game just doesn't seem right this year, I'm not sure how to explain it correctly, I know that people will say it has more atmosphere this year, but I disagree I thought the games I played in 2004 were more exciting. In addition I don't know if it's just me but I felt more in control of my DB's last year (I actually felt like I could make a play myself) This year the control feels a little looser almost like it controls more like last year's Madden game (although not quite that bad). I actually feel like this year's Madden plays more like last year's NCAA and that this year's NCAA plays more like last year's Madden. Anyone agree?
Old 08-27-2004, 09:51 AM   #14
MVP

Badgun's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeercy
A game in which the CPU QB's can't consistently throw for 50%+ no matter the setting is not fun. 14-38 is not acceptable!
Wait a minute...enter the obligatory 4 or 5 guys that tell you that you just need to spend hours, maybe days in practice mode, you need to learn how to read defenses, or you're just one of those guys that likes to go 28-30 for 400 yards and win every game 58-0. It's not the game, it's you. :y4:
Old 08-27-2004, 11:35 AM   #15
Itsy Bitsy Spider

kodiak's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerstorer

Well first off I disagree about composure already being in the game. Before this year, a QB could throw 2 int's and would suffer no ill effects. Same with a DB, you could pick on him on 3 straight drives, yet he would show no signs of declining confidence either. So I am glad that they did something to reflect that. Now, with that being said, the system is not perfect. It is overdone at times, but with this being the first year, I did not expect a smooth transition. Now it its not better next year, then I will be upset.

Your points on gameplay will get no argument from me. I will just say that I moved past it although I never did experience the big slowdown problem(except on Live) or the horrible CPU passing numbers. They would be below 50% from time to time but never horrible numbers. But I have taken it for what it is this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2004, 12:32 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 3

I disliked 2005 at first , but I'm having really good games with some modified fisherjr sliders -- the computer completes 40-50% of its passes (a couple games below, a couple above), I complete 45-60%. The running this year is terrific.

I still don't care for 2005's presentation, which is at times downright bad. Witness the SI picture of a Heisman-candidate QB tackling a DB who just intercepted his pass. But even the king of presentation, ESPN 2K5, has glitches -- the phantom Cardinals, erratic movement, etc. I also think the shaking screen is absurd, but at least I can shut that off.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »