Home

Which one to play?? (finally able to get PS2 emulator playing well)

This is a discussion on Which one to play?? (finally able to get PS2 emulator playing well) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-10-2018, 11:49 AM   #17
Rookie

redwo1f's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Which one to play?? (finally able to get PS2 emulator playing well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esayem
What about 10?
lol, sure muddy the water!

But yes, having a look at it now too (hey, wow - option plays where the QB keeps and can actually run for yardage! (nice to see))

Actually somebody mentioned above that they think it is the same as '11. I would disagree. It honestly looks to be a tweaked '09 engine (and that is actually a good thing)...definitely going to run more games with it for a better look.
...and I suppose I better eventually look at '08 too for good measure, lol.

So - I have dropped '05 (drops), '06 (actually a real mess CPU vs CPU unadjusted), '07 (momentum here just ruins it) ...leaving '09, '10, '11 still in the running for the moment (and maybe '08 if I have a look at it).
Old 10-10-2018, 01:40 PM   #18
Rookie

Nice man! I just picked up a PS2 off Ebay with a crap ton of the NCAA games and some older madden ones. Super excited about it!!
Old 10-10-2018, 04:49 PM   #19
Rookie

I played NCAA 10 on PS2 up until about a year ago when I finally decided to get a PS3 and 14. I loved that game so much and never bothered getting 11 which looked basically the same. There are a lot of things I like better about 10 than 14 (real FCS teams, better option play, medical redshirts, conference invites). Custom conferences and updated rosters are the only reasons I got NCAA 14 or I would still be playing 10 right now.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:41 PM   #20
MVP

joshrmlb's Arena

OVR: 9

What exactly does the emulator do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrmlb
What exactly does the emulator do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Basically let's you play upscaled ps2 games on the PC.

Also, redwo1f what exactly do you mean by 06 is a mess with CPU vs CPU? I could give you my settings I've worked on for 2 years, if you want.

Last edited by Brock; 10-10-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2018, 07:22 PM   #22
Rookie

redwo1f's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock
Basically let's you play upscaled ps2 games on the PC.

Also, redwo1f what exactly do you mean by 06 is a mess with CPU vs CPU? I could give you my settings I've worked on for 2 years, if you want.
Well I mean of all the recent NCAA's I have been running un-adjusted (non-slider adjustments yet - a ton of experience with that a la madden's past over at Madden Mania), to get a feel of the base gameplay engine, '06 appears the least solid - lots of problems stat wise with it everywhere (though they all have issues somewhere or another)...just '06 appears unadjusted to be the least statistically realistic.

...I am basically having a good look at most to get a feel for the game play engine AI vs AI (which, imho, is actually the truest test of the game play engine (I am gunna end up coach moding anyways so it's also very relevant to me as well). I plan on slider adjusting in the near future, but want to go with the one I think offers the overall best on field game play engine (requiring the least tweaking). That isn't to say that '06 can't be decent...but it appears to need a lot of work. Also, the long ball can be manipulated somewhat, but that ISN'T a good problem to be fixed with sliders because adjustments needed to help to mitigate it a bit are going to have more general impact all around unfortunately. Things like high sacks or high int's are very manageable if NCAA is anything like older maddens - I am happier doing projects such as that, rather than tackling big big issues that have influences all throughout the slider sets. Plus I know I am not going to have my little team helping to run specific games and helping me to get 32, 48, and even 64 games of data in to average for each slider set before making adjustments (like the past over at MM) - I don't have the resources nor that patience for a major project anymore. Just want something that is pretty decent out of the box that I can tinker with a bit to make better and approach statistical realism (and I know the vast major work their team and players with controllers - I do not. I coach and also spectate AI vs AI games...so I am looking at and seeing different things).

So there you have it. I am probably least impressed with '06 out of the box on the field...and it's a damn shame '07 got momentum messed up because there is real promise there.

Anyway, that is may take and what I am doing...

Last edited by redwo1f; 10-10-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:05 PM   #23
PS2/PSP Modding

antdroid's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwo1f
Well I mean of all the recent NCAA's I have been running un-adjusted (non-slider adjustments yet - a ton of experience with that a la madden's past over at Madden Mania), to get a feel of the base gameplay engine, '06 appears the least solid - lots of problems stat wise with it everywhere (though they all have issues somewhere or another)...just '06 appears unadjusted to be the least statistically realistic.

...I am basically having a good look at most to get a feel for the game play engine AI vs AI (which, imho, is actually the truest test of the game play engine (I am gunna end up coach moding anyways so it's also very relevant to me as well). I plan on slider adjusting in the near future, but want to go with the one I think offers the overall best on field game play engine (requiring the least tweaking). That isn't to say that '06 can't be decent...but it appears to need a lot of work. Also, the long ball can be manipulated somewhat, but that ISN'T a good problem to be fixed with sliders because adjustments needed to help to mitigate it a bit are going to have more general impact all around unfortunately. Things like high sacks or high int's are very manageable if NCAA is anything like older maddens - I am happier doing projects such as that, rather than tackling big big issues that have influences all throughout the slider sets. Plus I know I am not going to have my little team helping to run specific games and helping me to get 32, 48, and even 64 games of data in to average for each slider set before making adjustments (like the past over at MM) - I don't have the resources nor that patience for a major project anymore. Just want something that is pretty decent out of the box that I can tinker with a bit to make better and approach statistical realism (and I know the vast major work their team and players with controllers - I do not. I coach and also spectate AI vs AI games...so I am looking at and seeing different things).

So there you have it. I am probably least impressed with '06 out of the box on the field...and it's a damn shame '07 got momentum messed up because there is real promise there.

Anyway, that is may take and what I am doing...
IMHO none of the games work well with the default sliders in any mode. 06 is still my top choice. I do kind of wish it had medical redshirts but not a big enough deal because everything about it outweighs the newer editions. For 10/11, I really dislike the presentation and the choice of fonts. It looks like a teenager made it thinking it looked really cool, but it does not, at least in my opinion. And unfortunately, the presentation is a big part of the game since I have to stare at it for 1-2 hours at a time non-stop.

Updated rosters for any of the games from 05-11 is pretty easy to do now with the conversion tool I made. I put the rosters out for 06 and 11 since they are the most popular but a simple renaming of the files will make them work with any other game in the 05-11 era of PS2 games. I think i can do it for xbox but have had only 1 tester so far and was able to do it for Madden but not yet for NCAA series.

The momentum meter of the newer games is really annoying too. Its worst in 07 which is frustrating for an otherwise great game.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:59 AM   #24
Pro

esayem's Arena

OVR: 3

For those that care about stadiums:

UCF’s campus stadium first appears in 09.

Miami moves from the Orange Bowl to the Dolphins stadium in 09.

The Fiesta Bowl is played in Glendale in 09.

Stanford gets their renovated stadium in 10.

Unfortunately, the Cotton Bowl is never moved to Arlington in 10 and 11, nor is the Big XII championship (instead it is in the Alamodome, which looks like a warehouse). It is in the Madden PS2 versions, which makes no sense as to why they didn’t move it.

You’ll also want to sim the national title game in the more recent installments. EA got lazy and used the same graphics in the rotating stadiums. So if the championship was played in the Rose Bowl the year of the game, in your third season the Rose themed championship logo will be all over the Fiesta or Orange Bowl etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »