Home

How is tiebreaker determined?

This is a discussion on How is tiebreaker determined? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-29-2019, 01:06 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How is tiebreaker determined?

There is a two-way tie in conference. In the same division. Both teams 10-2. Both teams 5-0 in division. The tied teams didn't play each other. No common opponent where one team lost and the other team won. Each team's two losses came out of conference to different teams.

How is the tiebreaker determined?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2019, 01:18 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: How is tiebreaker determined?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel30
There is a two-way tie in conference. In the same division. Both teams 10-2. Both teams 5-0 in division. The tied teams didn't play each other. No common opponent where one team lost and the other team won. Each team's two losses came out of conference to different teams.

Uh, how can two teams in the same division no play each other? The whole point of the divisions is to have a set group of teams where each team plays each other team.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:09 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:

There is no conference championship game, by NCAA rules. In a conference divided into two divisions, a team must play all teams in their division for the conference to have a championship game. In a conference that isn't divided into divisions, all teams must play each other (round robin). These are the rules in order to prevent the scenario you presented from happening. I've never seen this bug in this game.

Some of the BCS conferences would have the highest ranked team in the BCS Standings as the champion (rather than a coin flip) after processing several tie breakers without being able to determine a champion. That's probably the best approach here.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:56 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrane
There is no conference championship game, by NCAA rules. In a conference divided into two divisions, a team must play all teams in their division for the conference to have a championship game. In a conference that isn't divided into divisions, all teams must play each other (round robin). These are the rules in order to prevent the scenario you presented from happening. I've never seen this bug in this game.

Some of the BCS conferences would have the highest ranked team in the BCS Standings as the champion (rather than a coin flip) after processing several tie breakers without being able to determine a champion. That's probably the best approach here.

What about as far as the game (NCAA 14) actually operates? Anyone know that?
Old 01-29-2019, 06:04 PM   #5
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
What about as far as the game (NCAA 14) actually operates? Anyone know that?
The game operates as the NCAA does, for the most part. It does have quirks here and there, but generally all teams within a division play each other. I know the C-USA is a bit screwy at times. This scenario is actually impossible. If there's 12 teams in the conference (so 6 in each division), there would be no way two teams could be 5-0 within their division. That's every other opponent, so one of them would have to beat the other, otherwise they would only play 4 division games.

Tie breakers are usually handled using the following metrics (if still tied, they move to the next): conference record, division record, overall record, poll rankings, points for, points against

Major Boise State fan

Last edited by SilverBullet19; 01-29-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2019, 08:16 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
The game operates as the NCAA does, for the most part. It does have quirks here and there, but generally all teams within a division play each other. I know the C-USA is a bit screwy at times. This scenario is actually impossible. If there's 12 teams in the conference (so 6 in each division), there would be no way two teams could be 5-0 within their division. That's every other opponent, so one of them would have to beat the other, otherwise they would only play 4 division games.

Tie breakers are usually handled using the following metrics (if still tied, they move to the next): conference record, division record, overall record, poll rankings, points for, points against

I'm thinking some, if not a lot of it, is due to there being 7 teams in one division and 6 in the other; but I've never seen anything like it.

As a footnote I wasn't 5-0 in the division. I thought about it more and I was operating under a false premise but a new oddity emerged.

I think the 7 (uneven) and the 13 (unever) REALLY threw things off but I've never seen anything like it.

I ended up finishing 3-0 in division and all teams in my division either had 5 division games or 3. I don't think I've seen that before and I've been in A LOT of dynasties.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:50 PM   #7
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
I'm thinking some, if not a lot of it, is due to there being 7 teams in one division and 6 in the other; but I've never seen anything like it.

As a footnote I wasn't 5-0 in the division. I thought about it more and I was operating under a false premise but a new oddity emerged.

I think the 7 (uneven) and the 13 (unever) REALLY threw things off but I've never seen anything like it.

I ended up finishing 3-0 in division and all teams in my division either had 5 division games or 3. I don't think I've seen that before and I've been in A LOT of dynasties.
Yeah I've heard of several people having issues with the C-USA doing really weird conference scheduling, and I agree it's likely due to the 13 teams. Easy fix is to remove or add a team.

Major Boise State fan
Old 01-30-2019, 09:46 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
Yeah I've heard of several people having issues with the C-USA doing really weird conference scheduling, and I agree it's likely due to the 13 teams. Easy fix is to remove or add a team.

Yep easy fix for next season. This year I got left out of the conference title game.in an online dynasty because I was 3-0 in division while another guy (who I didn't play) was 5-0 so he went to the championship 😭😭😭 lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »