Home

Find Them Gems... Help

This is a discussion on Find Them Gems... Help within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-04-2019, 04:47 PM   #9
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Find Them Gems... Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbigmike
Bench press and squat help a lot to find gems on the offensive line. BP of 430 and above equates to a strength rating of 80 or above (460 is 85, 490 is 90, 515 is 95).

Squat for an OL gives you his run blocking. 620 squat is an 80 RBK, 665 is 85, 705 is 90 and 720 is 92, which I haven't seen anything above that (haven't even seen in the 90's actually) for an offensive lineman.

If you pay attention to the squat number and the bench and then look at the OL's player type (pass block, run block or balanced) it'll help a lot. Balanced means the player's pass block will be nearly inline with their RBK, so if you know a balanced OL has a squat of 630, you know his RBK is 81 and his pass block will be right in that neighborhood.

If the offensive lineman is a pass block tendency, his PBK will be higher than his RBK.

If he is a run block tendency, then he has higher RBK than PBK by a substantial amount. Like, he could be an 83 RBK and 73 PBK or something like that.

This can easily make recruiting too easy so I try not to use it too much but if you're struggling to get the right offensive linemen into your squad, this helps separate the loads of 3-star OL that all look the same before you pay attention to the squat and bench numbers.

This can be used for other positions, as well. Squat ratings on defensive lineman recruits gives you their tackling rather than their blocking numbers (for obvious reasons). So a 620 squat for a DL would equate to a 80 tackle.

For skill positions (running back, wide receiver, defensive backs, etc), squat will equate to either their break tackle or their tackle, I believe. Don't quote me on that with regards to the defensive skill positions, I am not 100% on that. So a squat of 350 for a skill position on offense is an 80 break tackle and on defense is an 80 tackle.
Do you have a source for this info?

(Table didn't work for me fwiw, but I was able to copy and paste into excel to view it in a more organized manner. I just removed it from the quote so that it wasn't taking up extra space)
Old 02-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP

(Table didn't work for me fwiw, but I was able to copy and paste into excel to view it in a more organized manner. I just removed it from the quote so that it wasn't taking up extra space)
Sorry for the table not working. The source is I've seen it in the past on the boards. Jello1717 did a lot of work and posted it throughout various threads but I don't think it was a thread dedicated to this particular topic, so it's hard to find, but I'll see if I can drum up where I saw it originally.

I also use his dynasty tracking spreadsheet and he has the table in there for easy use.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:57 PM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbigmike
Bench press and squat help a lot to find gems on the offensive line. BP of 430 and above equates to a strength rating of 80 or above (460 is 85, 490 is 90, 515 is 95).

Squat for an OL gives you his run blocking. 620 squat is an 80 RBK, 665 is 85, 705 is 90 and 720 is 92, which I haven't seen anything above that (haven't even seen in the 90's actually) for an offensive lineman.

If you pay attention to the squat number and the bench and then look at the OL's player type (pass block, run block or balanced) it'll help a lot. Balanced means the player's pass block will be nearly inline with their RBK, so if you know a balanced OL has a squat of 630, you know his RBK is 81 and his pass block will be right in that neighborhood.

If the offensive lineman is a pass block tendency, his PBK will be higher than his RBK.

If he is a run block tendency, then he has higher RBK than PBK by a substantial amount. Like, he could be an 83 RBK and 73 PBK or something like that.

This can easily make recruiting too easy so I try not to use it too much but if you're struggling to get the right offensive linemen into your squad, this helps separate the loads of 3-star OL that all look the same before you pay attention to the squat and bench numbers.

This can be used for other positions, as well. Squat ratings on defensive lineman recruits gives you their tackling rather than their blocking numbers (for obvious reasons). So a 620 squat for a DL would equate to a 80 tackle.

For skill positions (running back, wide receiver, defensive backs, etc), squat will equate to either their break tackle or their tackle, I believe. Don't quote me on that with regards to the defensive skill positions, I am not 100% on that. So a squat of 350 for a skill position on offense is an 80 break tackle and on defense is an 80 tackle.

Edit: here it is in table form, hopefully.

Just in case the table didn't work for everyone, here's the majority of it screen capped from the tracking spreadsheet I use:
Attached Images
File Type: png Table.png (28.4 KB, 143 views)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2019, 09:11 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP

I found this thread regarding the table I posted/talked about. This was from a thread about what 40 times equal in speed ratings.

But, it's very testable: create some recruits in a dummy dynasty and then go into recruiting and scout them and you'll see what the recruiting program grades them as (for bench/40 time/squat, etc) and what they are after recruiting.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:16 PM   #13
Pro

As for redshirting, like I’ve said in the majority of your posts, it’s up to you. I don’t redshirt people who will be on the two-deep depth chart most of the time. A lot of people redshirt as many as possible because it builds depth, but it also isn’t as realistic and makes long-term play less entertaining to me.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:37 AM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xToXiCxSAVAGEx
As for redshirting, like I’ve said in the majority of your posts, it’s up to you. I don’t redshirt people who will be on the two-deep depth chart most of the time. A lot of people redshirt as many as possible because it builds depth, but it also isn’t as realistic and makes long-term play less entertaining to me.

I redshirted on xbox and ps2 because of composure. You could have a redshirt junior with full composure but a true senior with medium composure.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:32 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by xToXiCxSAVAGEx
Never really thought about this, what would be considered "realistic" practices for redshirting? I always redshirt over half my roster, but I don't know how they do it in real life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2019, 07:10 PM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Dozier
Never really thought about this, what would be considered "realistic" practices for redshirting? I always redshirt over half my roster, but I don't know how they do it in real life.
Most teams don't redshirt a player who is a year from starting. So if you have a senior center and a true freshman you might play the freshman. The following year because of min requirements you will have a true frosh or walkon and I try to avoid having two players at the same position same year (wr, ot , og and cb) are my exceptions to that.

A highly rated recruit may play as a true freshman knowing if you redshirt them as a freshman they may leave as a RS sophomore or RS junior so you might as well get as many years of them as you can.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »