Home

Man coverage errors

This is a discussion on Man coverage errors within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2004, 09:09 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Man coverage errors

I typically control my MLB. However, in man coverage I've been noticing a lot of mistakes in coverages. For instance, the coach cam says my MLB is matched up with the lone back in the backfield, however after the snap, I'll see the OLB go and cover him instead of the TE he was assigned to. This typically gives the TE a few steps on me since I didn't know my OLB would leave his assignment. I know blown coverages are part of football, but it happens way too often, but not regularly such that I can predict any patterns yet. How do you guys cope with this? Do you just run exclusively zone? Do you make sure you have at least a safety deep to cover your butt?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2004, 10:02 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

RubenDouglas's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Man coverage errors

is HFA on or off? maybe they are rattled.. or maybe its a small glitch with their new HFA system.

Ive seen it happen and i always had played with HFA on, but now that i switched I havent seen any big mistakes like that on defense.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:15 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

HFA or camera shake? I have both turned on.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:20 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

RubenDouglas's Arena

OVR: 28

i would try turning off HFA. and maybe camera shake.

HFA, to me, is where the problem may lye. Play a similiar game, to that of where you say some coverage errors, with HFA now turned off.. it might work.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:39 AM   #5
rns
Rookie

OVR: 2

This is a big error that I really don't like. They switch off on assignments when one receiver goes fromt he outside to the inside after the snap and another goes from the inside to the outside. So if that HB swings to the outside to receive and one of the receivers on that side does a drag or slant over the middle, you (the LB) have to pick up that receiver over the middle while the corner will go chase the HB. Luckily I have a fast MLB and have gotten use to expecting the corner to abandon his assignment and I'll intercept his assignment over the middle while he chases the HB. Don't like it, but have gotten use to it. I still prefer to take control of a blitzer who has no coverage assignment, so that I don't have to worry about a suddenly uncovered receiver whenever one of the corners decides to switch off and cover my assignment.

The easiest way to see this in action is goign to practice and playing as defense against a wheel route pass play. Call double coverage for the outside receivers, and when teh receivers cross their routes most of the time teh double coverage will switch off and cover the slot receiver. This is really annoying because if you want to specifically double the most dangerous receiver, all they have to do is call a play where he criss crosses with another receiver's route, and he'll suddenly be single covered.
Or, you end up with nonsense situations where your LB is assigned to the TE, but during the play a switch-off occurs and he ends up single covering the wideout while your bigtime corner is wasting his talent chasing after the slow TE... I think man coverages in rl do switch off occasionally, but that scenario should never happen.

It doesn't bother me as much now that I usually can see where it happens, or I otherwise only control blitzers when I call a man coverage, or, I try to follow my assingment much closer than usual so that a switch off doesn't occur. It is kind of stupid though.
I used to like to gamble and leave the HB or TE uncovered to double up on a receiver... but that's kind of out now, because the guy covering the receiver you're trying to double up on will tend to leave that man to go cover the guy you left. I guess that's responsible defense, but it's not what I want
When I control a blitzer, I can do my defensive "hot routing" by taking him into coverage, playing zone, doubling up on a receiver, etc, without risking screwing up the man coverage.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2004, 10:49 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

I've seen this several times and it, in a word, sucks. Especially so when you're attempting to double their best WR and then it gets switched and your doubling a TE leaving their best WR covered by your LB. Yet another reason this game is getting less and less playing time.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:56 AM   #7
rns
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan
I've seen this several times and it, in a word, sucks. Especially so when you're attempting to double their best WR and then it gets switched and your doubling a TE leaving their best WR covered by your LB.
Exactly.. I been burned by that too. I can sort of fix it by being the safety and carrying through with the doubling manually. But if you're coach mode like you (I think), then you're screwed.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:01 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rns
Exactly.. I been burned by that too. I can sort of fix it by being the safety and carrying through with the doubling manually. But if you're coach mode like you (I think), then you're screwed.
Yessir buddy, screwed!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »