Home

The NCAA is Investigating Whether or Not It’s Time to Bring NCAA Football Back

This is a discussion on The NCAA is Investigating Whether or Not It’s Time to Bring NCAA Football Back within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2019, 10:21 PM   #9
Rookie

theonlybstew's Arena

OVR: 0
How convenient.* A couple independent companies are working on college FB games, now major companies are joining the race. ;-)

PS4
NBA 2k22
WWE 2K22
NHL 22
MLB 20 THE SHOW
SONIC CLASSICS

PS3
NCAA FB 14
Old 05-14-2019, 10:22 PM   #10
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: The NCAA is Investigating Whether or Not It’s Time to Bring NCAA Football Back

I have said this for many years and never understood any attempts at an answer...

Why doesn’t EA or whoever, just make a college football game where they have everything BUT the players? Make a completely randomly generated roster for all teams. The problem before was that while the game never said... Tim Tebow... the quarterback from Florida was #15, threw left handed and had eerily similar attributes that Tebow would have had. So, well, just DON’T do that.

But still allow rosters to be edited. Problem solved it would seem. I just don’t get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 05-14-2019, 10:31 PM   #11

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: The NCAA is Investigating Whether or Not It’s Time to Bring NCAA Football Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I have said this for many years and never understood any attempts at an answer...

Why doesn’t EA or whoever, just make a college football game where they have everything BUT the players? Make a completely randomly generated roster for all teams. The problem before was that while the game never said... Tim Tebow... the quarterback from Florida was #15, threw left handed and had eerily similar attributes that Tebow would have had. So, well, just DON’T do that.

But still allow rosters to be edited. Problem solved it would seem. I just don’t get it.

The CFB backed out after the lawsuit. Prior to that prior likeness issue, EA was easily able to negotiate a deal to have every team in the game.

Once they backed out, it meant that any video game would have to individually negotiate with every single team to be in the game.

So not only would you have had a game with generic players, you would have also had a game with generic teams.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2019, 10:37 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

I would LOVE for NCAA to return. I believe it is time for a return. Since the ruling could be decided as late as this October, I'm sure EA will quickly gauge NCAA interest of bringing back a college football game. So potentially 2021 we could see a NCAA game. I believe it could be easy transition for EA to jump straight back into the college football game. Since NCAA would presumably use Madden's Engine and all that, they wouldn't have to build a new game from scratch. They could build off of NCAA 14 as far as features and atmosphere. Since NCAA wouldn't have the same pressure as Madden, devs would have more creative freedom. NCAA could immediately be a good game based on the easy transtion. If a return is possible, I wonder if they wait to develop for the next console generation. With the possibility of new consoles late next year, the first new NCAA game could be on the new generation. It still would be an easy transition due to Madden already developing for the new generation.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:45 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
The CFB backed out after the lawsuit. Prior to that prior likeness issue, EA was easily able to negotiate a deal to have every team in the game.

Once they backed out, it meant that any video game would have to individually negotiate with every single team to be in the game.

So not only would you have had a game with generic players, you would have also had a game with generic teams.
Exactly.

I wonder if it does happen, would the CFB be willing to get back on board. That could be a deciding factor. Because even if they change the rule, if CFB doesn't get back on board, I don't see a return of NCAA football. I don't see EA getting every team to give up their likeness
Old 05-14-2019, 10:51 PM   #14

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Exactly.

I wonder if it does happen, would the CFB be willing to get back on board. That could be a deciding factor. Because even if they change the rule, if CFB doesn't get back on board, I don't see a return of NCAA football. I don't see EA getting every team to give up their likeness
I actually don't think that will be an issue. Their only fear was litigation. They will take money any way they can get it (as does any business).

The only fear would be potential for litigation which this could potentially negate based on language.

I was really only commenting on why there hasn't been generic games to this point as there was literally no means to do so with legitimate teams.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:07 AM   #15
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

I'm curious to see how NCAA would fit into an EA that is now driven by competitive play, MUT and other commercial interests. NCAA is a bit more niche and I don't think fits that model very well. Its user base is likely much more interested in authenticity and EA probably wouldn't want NCAA eating into Madden's market anyway.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2019, 07:02 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39

I've always thought this as well. Like your example of Tebow, instead of making him Caucasian in the game, could the developers made him African American instead with/without attributes like being left handed and not be sued? Or just totally randomize the in game players all together?

For me, the uniqueness and all the types of offenses (pistol, option, wishbone, air raid...) and the developers being able to replicate all the school's stadiums, even the small ones, was what attracted me to NCAA. Yeah, having the actual names of the players instead of just the numbers was nice to have but it wasn't necessary for me to enjoy the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »