Home

The NCAA is Investigating Whether or Not Itís Time to Bring NCAA Football Back

This is a discussion on The NCAA is Investigating Whether or Not Itís Time to Bring NCAA Football Back within the NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football
Top 5 NES Sports Games That Still Hold Up Today
Should Casual Fans Buy NHL 20 While Itís On Sale?
Fight Night Round 3 Video: Father Takes on Son in Boxing Game That Defined an Era
What game would you most like to see return next-gen? -- Click here to cast your vote now!

Old 05-15-2019, 10:52 AM   #17

Instant C1a55ic's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: The NCAA is Investigating Whether or Not Itís Time to Bring NCAA Football Back

I hope it happens, and soon.

Since about NCAA 12, I could safely say I enjoyed playing football games, as there was a challange. Madden doesnt challange me anymore. Building superteams is way too easy, and has been since as far back as Madden 06. There are zero factors in player decision making, other then money. At least in college they take into effect the coaches, proximity to home, and wither or not they get national exposure. it is much more of a challange to take Kent state for example, and build them into a powerhouse. Heck, even the option that it will never happen is still very real. I could easily take the worst team in the NFL and make them a powerhouse in 1-2 years.

50 Cent....

Cuz he's only good for 2 Quarters!!!!!
NFL - Denver Broncos
MLB - Colorado Rockies
NHL - Colorado Avalanche/Winnipeg Jets
Old 05-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #18
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: The NCAA is Investigating Whether or Not Itís Time to Bring NCAA Football Back

Unfortunately, I think it's possible we've all been had. Here's the specific language from the actual NCAA release:

Quote:
This group will bring together diverse opinions from the membership ó from presidents and commissioners to student-athletes ó that will examine the NCAAís position on name, image and likeness benefits and potentially propose rule modifications tethered to education.
This sounds less clear to me than the ESPN article makes it sound. The NCAA wants to "tether" these changes to education. What exactly does that mean? Have people misinterpreted the NCAA's intent on this subject?

Maybe there's other information I'm missing on the topic. I feel like, though, this doesn't necessarily mean they are giving free-market opportunities to athletes. Obviously, we know for certain they aren't open to directly paying athletes:

Quote:
According to the board, the group will not consider any concepts that could be construed as payment for participation in college sports.

"While the formation of this group is an important step to confirming what we believe as an association, the groupís work will not result in paying students as employees."
They are definitive there, but I don't think there was any expectation otherwise. Further:

Quote:
As part of its efforts, the working group will study modifications of current rules, policies and practices. In particular, it will focus on solutions that tie any changes to education; maintain the clear demarcation between professional and college sports; and further align student-athletes with the general student body.
Again talking about tying modifications to education. They also want to maintain a "clear demarcation" between amateurs and the pros. That doesn't sound encouraging. The final line means almost nothing to me. Sounds like some sort of corporate jargon.

Anyway, I hope this is as positive as the media outlets have made it seem, but to me, the actual press release from the NCAA makes this considerably less transparent.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 0

Who will compensate the players? The NCAA? The reason it works for professional sports is because the game company signs a deal with the player's union.

I'd love to see it but count me as a skeptic. For one thing the original O'Bannon decision was ridiculous. The players likeness was not used - they were generic likenesses with dozens of players having the same face. Height, weight, and the uniform number are a player's likeness?

If the colleges compensate the players and no outside entity has to pay then it might work. If EA sports has to compensate 85 scholarship players and possibly walk on players for every school which has football I doubt that is financially viable.

I'd love to see it for next gen machines but I remain a skeptic. Until then NCAA 14 is the best game ever made on the ps3 and I'm fine with continuing my teambuilder dynasty until and unless the legal logjam is opened up.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:11 PM   #20
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20
Not sure why EA would spend all that money when they could just randomize rosters and give the community edit abilities.* Something they foolishly didn't do last time by stealing likenesses, which is why the NCAA franchise doesn't exist right now.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:21 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 3

Is there a possibility that someone like 2k could make a game? Iíd love to have that as an option. Anyone majors developer that could make a solid game Iíd be interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #22
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Man, this would be fantastic. I'm not even a fan of college football but I loved this series. Hell, this game turned me into a quasi-college football fan 20+ years ago. Once it went away, I almost completely stopped following the sport.

To me, this is the best sports video game series ever. It was so much fun and the replay value and enjoyment of dynasty mode was unmatched.

This would also allow me to go back to my old habits of buying Madden once every few years. One hell of a bonus!

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 05-15-2019, 04:31 PM   #23
All Star

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
Not sure why EA would spend all that money when they could just randomize rosters and give the community edit abilities.* Something they foolishly didn't do last time by stealing likenesses, which is why the NCAA franchise doesn't exist right now.
That would be the most cost effective move. That is what they should have done in first place. Just made rosters completely randomized. They could have just used school strength to rate players.
I don't see them trying to go after each individual player. That would be very cost ineffective and have to devote a lot of resources.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarcguy
Is there a possibility that someone like 2k could make a game? Iíd love to have that as an option. Anyone majors developer that could make a solid game Iíd be interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
If I'm correct, any developer could make any college sports game if the rule allows it but I don't see many developers wanting to jump in the college sports market. Only college sports that are marketable for a video game are football and basketball. But I don't think college sports video games are profitable(outside of NCAA Football). So I don't see developers jumping into the college sports unless they really want too. 2k dropped out of college football after 2k3 and college basketball after 2k8. 2k could have continued with college football after 2k5 if they really wanted too. But I could see them jumping back to college basketball
Old 05-15-2019, 05:12 PM   #24
All Star

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Man, this would be fantastic. I'm not even a fan of college football but I loved this series. Hell, this game turned me into a quasi-college football fan 20+ years ago. Once it went away, I almost completely stopped following the sport.

To me, this is the best sports video game series ever. It was so much fun and the replay value and enjoyment of dynasty mode was unmatched.

This would also allow me to go back to my old habits of buying Madden once every few years. One hell of a bonus!
I agree. This series got me into college football in my teen years. But since the series ended, I haven't been in the mood to watch college football regularly like I used too.
I always preferred NCAA to Madden. Madden was the moneymaker but NCAA was the better product to me. NCAA devs had the freedom to follow their own path. A lot of people are still want Madden to add the Coach Carousel feature that NCAA implemented 6 years. Game wasn't perfect, but it captured the college atmosphere. It was a lot rewarding starting out as at a 1 Star school as a coordinator and working your way up to a HC of a 5 star school or as a HC and building a 1 star school into a 5 star school. While in Madden, you could take a team 17' Browns and be a Super Bowl team by year 2 or 3.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football »