Home

The NCAA is Investigating Whether or Not It’s Time to Bring NCAA Football Back

This is a discussion on The NCAA is Investigating Whether or Not It’s Time to Bring NCAA Football Back within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2019, 02:47 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: The NCAA is Investigating Whether or Not It’s Time to Bring NCAA Football Back

One thing I believe people aren't thinking about is the problem a new NCAA game would entail, which is it would inherit modern Madden's janky, ugly gameplay. To this day, NCAA 14's gameplay engine blows current Madden's out of the water, imo.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #50

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: The NCAA is Investigating Whether or Not It’s Time to Bring NCAA Football Back

Read the last page of this thread (40 ppp) for some insight on this deal. This is the dev of Maximum football and he's spoken to reps from the NCAA regarding the recent news:

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...post2049786028

Doesn't sound promising.

(Please don't clog up that thread with conversation, keep it in this thread but wanted to share his perspective and conversation for reference)
Old 05-20-2019, 07:13 PM   #51
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Read the last page of this thread (40 ppp) for some insight on this deal. This is the dev of Maximum football and he's spoken to reps from the NCAA regarding the recent news:

Doesn't sound promising.

(Please don't clog up that thread with conversation, keep it in this thread but wanted to share his perspective and conversation for reference)
He doe provide useful information. I liked his honest insight.
Not sure if NCAA would allow players to be in video games even if they find a way to resolve the NIL issues. Even if they do allow it, EA would have to get the license and hope that NCAA & conferences/teams are willing to take that litigation risk. That'll be the thing that determines if we ever see licensed game. If we're lucky just only be no roster sharing. Because we ever do see a new game, NCAA will most likely have a larger say of what can and can't be in the new game

So yes, it is a uphill battle even if they 'resolve' the NIL issue. But all we can do is be hopeful
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2019, 08:17 AM   #52
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
80 million in revenue is nothing to sneeze at, but I was surprised by the 2 million units sold. I figured the game did twice that, at least. This was a very well received game with the real schools, teams, and essentially, players. Maybe the college football gaming market isn't as large as we think.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-21-2019, 09:05 AM   #53
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
80 million in revenue is nothing to sneeze at, but I was surprised by the 2 million units sold. I figured the game did twice that, at least. This was a very well received game with the real schools, teams, and essentially, players. Maybe the college football gaming market isn't as large as we think.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Madden was making that in MUT shortly after NCAA stopped. As much as we want college sports games, they weren't selling like that. 2k dropped college sports because it wasn't selling well enough. They could have continued with CFB 2k because I know Gamebreaker had a 2003 version the next year or when they lost the license. NCAA Basketball stopped because of sales reasons. College football is one of the top regarded sports in America but as far as games, it wasn't up there. It was outselling NBA Live because Live was a disaster at that time.

I don't know whether NIL could be an issue for casuals. They don't want to play with QB #13 or have to have auto generated rosters. EA knew what they were doing. I remember a NCAA interview years ago with Ben Haumiller. There was a game with with South Carolina playing. He was talking how WR #1 was one of the best WRs in the country. He knew he was talking about Alshon Jeffery, he just didn't say the name. What would need to happen to help with sales is really taking advantage of ESPN and NCAA. They really them to promote the game as much as possible. Using the game to highlight upcoming games.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #54
Rookie

Maverick04's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I have said this for many years and never understood any attempts at an answer...

Why doesn’t EA or whoever, just make a college football game where they have everything BUT the players? Make a completely randomly generated roster for all teams. The problem before was that while the game never said... Tim Tebow... the quarterback from Florida was #15, threw left handed and had eerily similar attributes that Tebow would have had. So, well, just DON’T do that.

But still allow rosters to be edited. Problem solved it would seem. I just don’t get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I agree 100%! However, it is time for a game with licensed players, etc. Most people rely on a “handful” of roster editors to help them have the best gaming experience, and while most of them actually enjoy that process, the grind is real. For OCD sports gamers, like myself that do a lot of editing on my own, you may be several weeks into the season or even past midseason before you feel at peace with how you have things set up for dynasty, etc, especially if the game in on a yearly life cycle that’s tough as far as game longevity. The groups of roster editors deserve a game they can enjoy and play like all other college sports fans, not something they are constantly having to work on.

Last edited by Maverick04; 05-21-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:12 PM   #55
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis

Doesn't sound promising.

I wouldn’t expect a different answer from them this early into that news breaking. I’m sure they’re not even wanting to think about that right now.. later on? I could definitely see a different (Atleast more promising) response.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2019, 06:58 PM   #56
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23

NCAA Football back to Bill Walsh has provided me with a series of lifelong friendships. It’s omission leaves a hole in my life. That said, if the NCAA gave the green light tomorrow, I’m still not certain EA would make a game. NCAA hoops series were cancelled before all of this court cases came to light. NCAA football didn’t really sell like people believe it did. I think it comes down to if the licensing cost can make sense going forward. I think we’re many years from seeing another game. If we see one, perhaps it is bi-annually or less frequent.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
2017: 93-69 - Swept by Red Sox in World Series
2018: 100-62 - Swept by Dodgers in NLCS
2019: 14-11

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »