Home

The NCAA is Investigating Whether or Not It’s Time to Bring NCAA Football Back

This is a discussion on The NCAA is Investigating Whether or Not It’s Time to Bring NCAA Football Back within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-22-2019, 11:43 AM   #57
MVP

mikeq672's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The NCAA is Investigating Whether or Not It’s Time to Bring NCAA Football Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxboy99
If we see one, perhaps it is bi-annually or less frequent.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Seeing that were all still playing the same one made 7 years ago, I dont think anyone would mind that haha.

If were being honest, thats probably how sports game should operate anyway, but profit is always going to trump quality.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:38 PM   #58
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: The NCAA is Investigating Whether or Not It’s Time to Bring NCAA Football Back

No matter how or how many times someone tries to explain it to me, it will never make sense to me why EA can’t just make a college game with COMPLETELY random rosters. No likenesses whatsoever. And allow the rosters to be edited.

Problem solved.

Heck, I’d just play with random rosters. Because after year four of dynasty, it doesn’t matter anyway.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 05-23-2019, 12:57 AM   #59
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
No matter how or how many times someone tries to explain it to me, it will never make sense to me why EA can’t just make a college game with COMPLETELY random rosters. No likenesses whatsoever. And allow the rosters to be edited.

Problem solved.

Heck, I’d just play with random rosters. Because after year four of dynasty, it doesn’t matter anyway.

This is what I don't understand. If the rosters are just randomly generated, or obviously don't use the likenesses of any real players, what litigation issues still stand for the schools to be afraid of?

― Plato
Old 05-28-2019, 05:40 AM   #60
MVP

The NCAA is Investigating Whether or Not It’s Time to Bring NCAA Football Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39

Problem solved.

I could never wrap my head around that either. Literally fill out every roster with the exact same ethnically-ambiguous 6’2 220lb guy with a 75 overall rating, every team, every position, then include roster editing & sharing and let us do the rest. I don’t know what I’m missing about why that couldn’t work.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:09 AM   #61
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

The lawsuits over likeness precipitated the end of the series. It stands to reason that is still the case.

Even if the NCAA somehow compensates players for their likeness, and got their consent for stuff like games there could still be lawsuits over the use. People will sue for anything. Lawsuits cost money.

If EA provides a roster share, in a way, they are providing the means to infringe on player likeness. Granted, the court case was over them shipping the game with essentially the real players without the names.

What happens when someone uploads Vince Young Texas roster and plays Reggie Bush and Leinarts USC squad and streams it? I know it's small, but little stuff like that could lead to the court room.

NCAA Football games shipped with basically the real rosters and it didn't sell great. It was profitable but it wasn't killing it, either. So maybe EA sees super generic and fictional rosters (my hope) as a nonstarter. Its just a complicated mess that at the end of the day may not be worth the legal hoops necessary to bring back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2019, 11:10 AM   #62
Rookie

nflman2033's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
I'm curious to see how NCAA would fit into an EA that is now driven by competitive play, MUT and other commercial interests. NCAA is a bit more niche and I don't think fits that model very well. Its user base is likely much more interested in authenticity and EA probably wouldn't want NCAA eating into Madden's market anyway.
This is a great point, there was a MUT type of game on NCAA 14, I am sure they will do that for NCAA, EA already has likeness rights for Madden, for current players and lots of legends. They will now get to double dip as they will get people putting in money to get the same players on NCAA as Madden but only have to pay once. They'll make a killing.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:27 PM   #63
MVP

mikeq672's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflman2033
This is a great point, there was a MUT type of game on NCAA 14, I am sure they will do that for NCAA, EA already has likeness rights for Madden, for current players and lots of legends. They will now get to double dip as they will get people putting in money to get the same players on NCAA as Madden but only have to pay once. They'll make a killing.
Some type of NCAA Ultimate Team with player cards working as recruits in an online franchise type game mode would be pretty f'in cool.

On second thought, Id rather just a regular online franchise haha

Last edited by mikeq672; 05-28-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:45 PM   #64
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
The lawsuits over likeness precipitated the end of the series. It stands to reason that is still the case.

Even if the NCAA somehow compensates players for their likeness, and got their consent for stuff like games there could still be lawsuits over the use. People will sue for anything. Lawsuits cost money.

If EA provides a roster share, in a way, they are providing the means to infringe on player likeness. Granted, the court case was over them shipping the game with essentially the real players without the names.

What happens when someone uploads Vince Young Texas roster and plays Reggie Bush and Leinarts USC squad and streams it? I know it's small, but little stuff like that could lead to the court room.

NCAA Football games shipped with basically the real rosters and it didn't sell great. It was profitable but it wasn't killing it, either. So maybe EA sees super generic and fictional rosters (my hope) as a nonstarter. Its just a complicated mess that at the end of the day may not be worth the legal hoops necessary to bring back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
I agree.

The whole random roster thing would have been better originally. Especially these lawsuits started popping up.
Even with random rosters, schools are still afraid of litigation. At the very least, I'm sure they would want no roster share.

But I'm sure EA would want to bring back the series. But also has to wonder if it is worth it. Only was selling 2 million copies a year at most. The licensing costs and development costs alone will cost a lot. Plus I don't know if it as simple as using Madden code for game engine and building off of NCAA 14.

I don't think real players and coaches actually push the needle. It'll help for the NCAA. More exposure and recruiting, but I don't think it raises sells. They would need a very popular online mode at the least. The whole Anti Loot box bill, could affect things

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »