Home

Media Hates Winners

This is a discussion on Media Hates Winners within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-25-2019, 06:38 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Media Hates Winners

Does anyone know why the BCS Rankings penalize you for being too...good? I am 7-0 (one of 5 undefeated teams) and ranked 5th. I was ranked 1st in Week 2 but have slowly dropped to 5th as the weeks have gone on. Here is a comparison of the remaining undefeated teams:

...................Record...BCS....T25 W's....PPG....PPG Allowed
Notre Dame....8-0........1..........4.........41.7......19.5
Virginia Tech...7-0........2..........2.........38.5......21.9
UCLA.............8-0........3..........1.........41.3......19.6
Baylor............6-0........4..........1.........38.3......19.2
Nebraska........7-0........5..........4.........71.2......12.7

I lead the country in T25 W's along with the best offense and best defense. Here are the remaining schedules:

Notre Dame: at Navy, UMass, at #16 SCar, at USC
Virginia Tech: at #18 BC, Pitt, at Miami, Ga Tech, at UVA
UCLA: Or St, Ariz, at #12 ASU, USC
Baylor: at TTU, at #14 Texas, at #10 OU, #11 ISU, K-State, Kansas
Nebraska: Illinois, at Northwestern, Wisc, Purdue, at #21 Iowa

Baylor has the toughest remaining slate, it's safe to assume they will drop at least one game. Assuming ND, VT, UCLA, and myself all win out - which two teams would be in the BCS National Title Game [i don't use the playoff]? I almost certainly need two of the three [ND, VT, and UCLA] to lose at least one game and for myself to take care of business. My resume is the strongest along with my stats. Not to mention the Heisman frontrunner.

My main question: WHY DO I FALL IN THE RANKINGS DESPITE DOMINATING WEEK IN AND WEEK OUT? IS IT AN NCAA GLITCH, AND IF SO, HOW DO I WORK AROUND IT? THANKS!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2019, 01:01 AM   #2
Get off my lawn

JHamilton9's Arena

Re: Media Hates Winners

Were the Top 25 wins against teams that were in the Top 25 at the time, or are those teams currently in the Top 25?

Using real-life games from this season: LSU's win over Texas looked impressive at the time, but Texas has dropped a few more games and won't have a chance to win the Big 12. Utah lost to a then-unranked USC, but USC has won a few more games and are now ranked. Now, Utah's loss doesn't look as bad.

Also, I believe your total "Opponents Record" also plays a part in it, even though it includes the records of the teams you have yet to play.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:34 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton9
Were the Top 25 wins against teams that were in the Top 25 at the time, or are those teams currently in the Top 25?

Using real-life games from this season: LSU's win over Texas looked impressive at the time, but Texas has dropped a few more games and won't have a chance to win the Big 12. Utah lost to a then-unranked USC, but USC has won a few more games and are now ranked. Now, Utah's loss doesn't look as bad.

Also, I believe your total "Opponents Record" also plays a part in it, even though it includes the records of the teams you have yet to play.
They are current T25 W's. That is how I see it as in real life, too.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:40 PM   #4
Rookie

Media Hates Winners

Yeah I know it’s stupid. But EA’s rankings are 100% based on week by week current rankings... meaning your win against 11-1 #2 Georgia in week 1, means nothing at the end of the year because at the time they were un ranked. And you actually finish ranked behind them at #3 even though you’re also 11-1. Also note that dominating means nothing either. As a top 5 team, If you beat the #23 team 70-0. You will stay put. But if you beat the #10 team 17-16, you will fly up in the top 5. Because it’s an algorithm strictly based on top 10 wins week by week when you get into the top 5.

Assuming all teams are undefeated
#3 LSU will jump #2 OSU and #1 Clemson

If they beat #10 Alabama by any margin. But if they beat #16 Alabama, even if the final is 70-0, they will still remain at 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by DonJonpin; 11-26-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:11 AM   #5
MVP

Son of Sam99's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJonpin
Yeah I know it’s stupid. But EA’s rankings are 100% based on week by week current rankings... meaning your win against 11-1 #2 Georgia in week 1, means nothing at the end of the year because at the time they were un ranked. And you actually finish ranked behind them at #3 even though you’re also 11-1. Also note that dominating means nothing either. As a top 5 team, If you beat the #23 team 70-0. You will stay put. But if you beat the #10 team 17-16, you will fly up in the top 5. Because it’s an algorithm strictly based on top 10 wins week by week when you get into the top 5.

Assuming all teams are undefeated
#3 LSU will jump #2 OSU and #1 Clemson

If they beat #10 Alabama by any margin. But if they beat #16 Alabama, even if the final is 70-0, they will still remain at 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dang, I did not know this!

Its always beneficial to have a big game against a highly ranked team late in the season to get a late jump in the polls. Obviously this is especially easy in a conference with a lot of teams ranked consistently. Conversely, something we've all probably experienced, a late loss, even to a highly ranked team will drop you below teams with fewer losses.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »