Home

The 3-3-5 and the 4-2-5

This is a discussion on The 3-3-5 and the 4-2-5 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
The 3-3-5 and the 4-2-5

Is it possible to recruit to have both of these defensive formations? I know it is just a video game, but does anyone here use both of these successfully? Any recruiting tips? Or does recruiting for both these formations sort of go against each other?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2019, 07:50 PM   #2
Pro

Re: The 3-3-5 and the 4-2-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegefbfan
Is it possible to recruit to have both of these defensive formations? I know it is just a video game, but does anyone here use both of these successfully? Any recruiting tips? Or does recruiting for both these formations sort of go against each other?

Whatever your base playbook is is what your recruiting needs will follow. You can edit your playbook and add or take away any formation that you want, but your recruiting needs will be based off of your base playbook. I have a 3-3-5 playbook and I have quite a few 4-2-5 formations
Old 12-15-2019, 07:59 PM   #3
Rookie

Rieux's Arena

It'd be comparable to recruiting for the 4-3 and the 3-4 at the same time - with that you have the 2nd DT vs. the 2nd MLB, with the two nickel books you'd be chasing both the 4-2-5's 2nd DT and the 3-3-5's ROLB(s). In that respect it might actually be more difficult than recruiting for both the 3-4 and 4-3, since the 4-2-5 omits ROLBs entirely, where with the 4-3/3-4 you're just looking for one more DT or MLB along with the ones you already have - so I guess it'd be possible if you really wanted to do it, but you'd definitely want to use the 4-2-5 as your _base_ since the 3-3-5 would effectively add an extra position to recruit. With the 4-2-5 you could just recruit that extra OLB and stick him over at ROLB, backed up by your LOLB backups - the extra trickiness would come from how the depth chart is biased in favor of the 4-3/3-4.

I'm sure other tricky situations would arise too, but I don't see why it wouldn't be at least possible.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:07 PM   #4
Rookie

OBinKC's Arena

The only similarity that I see with the two is the fact that you need two athletic safeties to play the SS positions. But that’s the only thing that translates between the 3-3-5 and 4-2-5.

Like was said already, you’d have to recruit 2 DTs and 2 OLBs. But it doesn’t stop there. The types of D linemen aren’t the same. With the 3-3-5, you need bigger, run stopping DEs and need your LBs to generate pressure, whereas with the 4-2-5 you want pass rushing DEs to utilize the strength of having the four full-time pass rushers.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:49 PM   #5
Pro

Hey guys thanks for laying that info out there so plain for me. I usually spend so much time recruiting for a great offense. Since playing with challenging sliders (at least for me), I need to start paying more attention to defense. I just won the national title with Florida State, but got torched through the air for 493 yards. Only thing that saved me is the opposing offense went for it on 4th down in red zone twice and got stuffed. Hopefully, I can run these two formations and see which works out best.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2019, 06:28 PM   #6
Rookie

Rieux's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegefbfan
Hey guys thanks for laying that info out there so plain for me. I usually spend so much time recruiting for a great offense. Since playing with challenging sliders (at least for me), I need to start paying more attention to defense. I just won the national title with Florida State, but got torched through the air for 493 yards. Only thing that saved me is the opposing offense went for it on 4th down in red zone twice and got stuffed. Hopefully, I can run these two formations and see which works out best.
If you haven't seen this guide for running the 3-3-5 I can highly recommend it. It's for 13 but I've found its breakdowns of forms and plays to still apply in 14. I've always been much more of an offense-first guy myself, never really enjoyed nor had success at playing D, but that guide was a big help. Of course it doesn't help with the 4-2-5 aspect. Good luck and have fun!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »