Home

Dynamic Player Progression System - No Editor Needed

This is a discussion on Dynamic Player Progression System - No Editor Needed within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-28-2020, 07:55 PM   #49
MVP

young22's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Dynamic Player Progression System - No Editor Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawkeye
Thanks man, it was quite a bit of time and math for my novice skills lol. Glad you are enjoying it.

Feel free to let me know if you have any suggestions or if you notice anything weird happening to the balance of your rosters after a few years. I try to monitor mine for realism and longevity but I’m sure I miss things.

I think I will type up a slightly refined version later this summer. No major changes, just a little tweak here and there.
Definitely will bro, if I have any ideas I'll post them here, I'm sitting here trying to think of a system for which QBs get an AWR boost as I sim to 2019 to start a new dynasty. I'm so excited to play this game again. I may or may not report on my dynasty over in the dynasty forum, if I do you'd get a pretty detailed look at how my team progressed year to year.

One thing I liked with the system I was using in my dynasty last summer (no idea what I've done with the notebook I had it written in), is that sometimes I'd roll for a player to get a boost to his position's secondary skills. So like I'd get a nice receiving back, better blocking WR, maybe a QB becomes a better ballcarrier, coverage backer, etc. It wasn't frequent, but I had a 3 star back become basically the MAC version of LeVeon Bell after his redshirt year because of this. Any way you could incorporate that?

Last edited by young22; 05-28-2020 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:02 AM   #50
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Councilmann_Jamm
Check out Hellisan ideas as well in this thread:

Manual random number based offseason improvement
I appreciate you man! Thanks for doing that. I would say that KHawkeye's creation is perfect for something like what they're doing - cut and dried rules that are followed and work toward an OVR rating that should be consistent, etc. Whereas what I put together requires a lot more user oversight. I never end up just editing whatever rating I want, but let's face it, if it says AWR gains and it's a +12 OVR increase ... You're not going to just edit the AWR from 50 to 99 to get a +12 jump... Or whatever it would require. And that's when you go the backup skill etc. or possibly go to a little "all-around" increases like the cpu has (you become very familiar with what the game does editing players). It works, but it's just not something applicable to a computer program, at least not easily. :-)

Thanks again though for the drop. Keep up the great work KHawkeye, excited to have this in the hands of people right in their games at some point, if everything works out!

#doeasjobforthem
Old 05-29-2020, 09:57 PM   #51
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by young22
Definitely will bro, if I have any ideas I'll post them here, I'm sitting here trying to think of a system for which QBs get an AWR boost as I sim to 2019 to start a new dynasty. I'm so excited to play this game again. I may or may not report on my dynasty over in the dynasty forum, if I do you'd get a pretty detailed look at how my team progressed year to year.

One thing I liked with the system I was using in my dynasty last summer (no idea what I've done with the notebook I had it written in), is that sometimes I'd roll for a player to get a boost to his position's secondary skills. So like I'd get a nice receiving back, better blocking WR, maybe a QB becomes a better ballcarrier, coverage backer, etc. It wasn't frequent, but I had a 3 star back become basically the MAC version of LeVeon Bell after his redshirt year because of this. Any way you could incorporate that?
I like it. I might look into this before I drop the final version.

My worry is that it will make my 7 page “rule book” even longer, which may turn some people away, but since my goal is realism, it might be worth doing.

Here’s how I envision what you are saying:
For each position, there are 3 “archetypes,” and whatever level of positive progression the player is assigned, the user can choose which archetype is going to be affected (even though this is user-choice, this is realistic to me because real-life coaches tell athletes what skill sets they should focus on).

For example, for QB’s they could get a “scrambler,” “pocket passer,” or “balanced” progression, whatever the user chooses. If the user chooses “pocket passer,” there will be more pronounced progression for attributes like “throw power” and “throw accuracy” and smaller gains in speed, agility, etc. If the user chooses “scrambler,” there will be more pronounced gains in speed, agility, and acceleration, and only small gains in throw power and throw accuracy.

For a player that regresses, they should regress based on whatever archetype they are so that it forces the user to make the regression impactful.

I’ll definitely look into this. It’s going to be a lot of number crunching lol but might be worth it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2020, 10:38 PM   #52
MVP

young22's Arena

Quote:
I like it. I might look into this before I drop the final version.

My worry is that it will make my 7 page “rule book” even longer, which may turn some people away, but since my goal is realism, it might be worth doing.

Here’s how I envision what you are saying:
For each position, there are 3 “archetypes,” and whatever level of positive progression the player is assigned, the user can choose which archetype is going to be affected (even though this is user-choice, this is realistic to me because real-life coaches tell athletes what skill sets they should focus on).

For example, for QB’s they could get a “scrambler,” “pocket passer,” or “balanced” progression, whatever the user chooses. If the user chooses “pocket passer,” there will be more pronounced progression for attributes like “throw power” and “throw accuracy” and smaller gains in speed, agility, etc. If the user chooses “scrambler,” there will be more pronounced gains in speed, agility, and acceleration, and only small gains in throw power and throw accuracy.

For a player that regresses, they should regress based on whatever archetype they are so that it forces the user to make the regression impactful.

I’ll definitely look into this. It’s going to be a lot of number crunching lol but might be worth it.
Definitely worth it for the nerds like us haha. Might turn some people off, but the hardcore dynasty guys will love it. I can kind of wrap my head around the numbers just glancing at "The Anatomy of Overall", so if you need some help let me know and I'll have a crack at it. If anyone can figure out a system for that, you'd have the ideal manual progression rulebook.

I think your system is what will finally let me have a slow grind to the top, and then actually have a good ebb and flow without crippling myself recruiting-wise. It's always stopped me from getting more than 6-7 years in, the fact that sooner or later, I'm sitting at 99/99/99 with blue chip guys waiting in the wings. Started a 2013 dynasty with Vanderbilt, it should take me a decade if not more to win a national title. The team isn't very good, and there's too many traditional powers in the SEC.

For QB Awareness, what I thought of was a combo of 2 of your ideas. Roll a number 1-5 for each freshman, I used 1 when I was doing some simming earlier, but also give the boost to every freshman QB rated a 77 or higher. I picked 77 as the cut off, but thinking about it now I'd probably go 79, maybe 80. Seemed pretty fair to me, if a guy comes in with 90 thp, 85 tha, I want him to be a starter early. There are actually a TON of really good freshmen who just lack awareness. Saw one with 88 spd, 84 thp, 96 tha but 47 awareness, like come on. That dude is like the perfect QB for a spread offense.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:58 PM   #53
MVP

young22's Arena

Quote:
So the idea behind it is to keep the CPU competitive for four quarters. Their appears to be a “comeback engine” in the game that makes it way too easy to make a 28 point comeback or blow teams out. If you have fatigue OFF in the main menu, and ON in your dynasty, it seems to help a little.

The biggest thing you can do to keep the CPU competitive is reset fatigue at halftime. Immediately after halftime, go to settings (house rules), turn fatigue OFF for a play or two, then go back and turn it ON for the rest of the game. In my experience, you still have an advantage over the CPU in the fourth quarter, but not nearly as much as if you leave fatigue on the whole game and never reset it.
I believe I was the first person to post about a fatigue reset, about 2 or 3 years ago. I say that just so you know I did this for ages because I was so tentative to make the jump to fatigue off. I did it last year and I haven't looked back since. The CPU is on your a-- for 4 quarters. They call plays better. They stick to a gameplan. Running teams run the ball down your throat instead of switching to the pass when they get tired. I've also noticed FAR less 4-Verts/HB Slip Screen on 3rd down. Autosubbing doesn't work great anyway, and you can easily just formation sub and switch between packages in the playcall screen. If you want, you can even do formation subs for the CPU real quick in game, plus the only positions you really see rotating a ton are running backs and defensive linemen anyway.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:48 AM   #54
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by young22
I believe I was the first person to post about a fatigue reset, about 2 or 3 years ago. I say that just so you know I did this for ages because I was so tentative to make the jump to fatigue off. I did it last year and I haven't looked back since. The CPU is on your a-- for 4 quarters. They call plays better. They stick to a gameplan. Running teams run the ball down your throat instead of switching to the pass when they get tired. I've also noticed FAR less 4-Verts/HB Slip Screen on 3rd down. Autosubbing doesn't work great anyway, and you can easily just formation sub and switch between packages in the playcall screen. If you want, you can even do formation subs for the CPU real quick in game, plus the only positions you really see rotating a ton are running backs and defensive linemen anyway.
I’ll have to give it a try. The “comeback” engine is so obvious with fatigue on, and I do think the reset helps, but it is still predictable that I can erase a 14 point deficit pretty fast in the 4th quarter.

One thing that has always bothered me with fatigue on is wide-receivers playing defensive back in the 4th quarter. My leading WR recently had a pick-6 to seal a game, and as funny as it was, it was immersion breaking.

For some reason, I have always had stuck in my mind that I had to have fatigue on for realism, but maybe I’ve been thinking about it wrong this whole time.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-30-2020, 09:04 AM   #55
MVP

tc020791's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
I’ll have to give it a try. The “comeback” engine is so obvious with fatigue on, and I do think the reset helps, but it is still predictable that I can erase a 14 point deficit pretty fast in the 4th quarter.

One thing that has always bothered me with fatigue on is wide-receivers playing defensive back in the 4th quarter. My leading WR recently had a pick-6 to seal a game, and as funny as it was, it was immersion breaking.

For some reason, I have always had stuck in my mind that I had to have fatigue on for realism, but maybe I’ve been thinking about it wrong this whole time.

Thanks for the tip!

I play with fatigue on. Half way through year 4, using JoshC’s sliders. Haven’t had one of those things happen. Not even close. Have never seen a WR play DB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2020, 09:50 AM   #56
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc020791
I play with fatigue on. Half way through year 4, using JoshC’s sliders. Haven’t had one of those things happen. Not even close. Have never seen a WR play DB.
It happens all the time in mine, especially against spread teams.

Last night when I was playing the other team was driving down the field to tie the game in the fourth quarter and I have 3 WR’s playing DB lol.

I know it has something to do with my auto sub sliders, but I can’t seem to find a set that works for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »