Home

'NCAA Football' video game made unlikely by NIL recommendation

This is a discussion on 'NCAA Football' video game made unlikely by NIL recommendation within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2020, 11:58 AM   #9
Rookie

TomSellecksMustache's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: 'NCAA Football' video game made unlikely by NIL recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by esayem
Then just make up fake players. I don't know why they are so stuck on making an accurate four-year roster when you play a season and a fifth or more of the players are randomly generated. I'd much rather have the accurate logos and stadiums than anything else.

I actually thought the side stories in Madden for college players were cool; the twin linebackers at Notre Dame and the hotshot QB from Houston (I think). Plus, they can be more creative with off the field issues with fake players; academic scandals, improper benefits, all the stuff the NCAA loves to stand against.

The NCAA and the universities are leaving money on the table.

I posted a few years ago when the game got shutdown that EA should work with the school's to update stadiums, logos, uniforms etc. I'd gladly pay each year to get an updated game like that.

Don't do anything with rosters, leave that to us.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:41 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by esayem
Then just make up fake players. I don't know why they are so stuck on making an accurate four-year roster when you play a season and a fifth or more of the players are randomly generated. I'd much rather have the accurate logos and stadiums than anything else.

I actually thought the side stories in Madden for college players were cool; the twin linebackers at Notre Dame and the hotshot QB from Houston (I think). Plus, they can be more creative with off the field issues with fake players; academic scandals, improper benefits, all the stuff the NCAA loves to stand against.

The NCAA and the universities are leaving money on the table.

Absolutely correct. While initially excited to play the season after purchasing the game, I think most people end up playing dynasties for the most part. Five years into the dynasty and only the schools, uniforms, stadiums, and bowl games are still "real".

I'd rather play with real players than fabricated ones, but I'd much prefer playing a new version with fabricated players than playing older versions of the game. There have been so many rule changes that makes these older versions more unrealistic than they were when they were released. I can't remember the last time I saw a clipping penalty in a real game, but I seem to get two or three a game in the video game. Concussions are minor injuries in the game. No playoff unless you use an editor. Just playing these older versions is a reminder how much the game has changed in the past seven years.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:37 AM   #11
Just started!

OVR: 0

I agree preventing collective bargaining will make it harder for the game to be developed but I still think it is something EA should pursue. My thoughts:

1. The NCAA wants to retain as much power as possible over players - hence preventing them from bargaining collectively.

2. Even though EA cannot bargain collectively with players, they still have an opportunity to develop the game.

3. After the rules are finally implemented, EA simply needs to make a standard offer to each individual D-1 football player. Every player's offer is the exact same. Hypothetically, $1,000 to use your name and likeness in the game.

4. EA needs to make clear it is a non-negotiable offer - accept it or reject it. If accepted, you are in the game with your name, likeness, height, weight, hometown, stats, etc. If you reject, a standard, generic player with standard generic stats, from a fake location, wearing jersey number 0 would fill your spot on the roster. I don't see how that could ever be infringing on a player's name/likeness

5. I suspect the vast majority of players would accept that offer for a few reasons - being in a video game would be awesome, they love the video game like we do, every one else will be in it and you don't want your teammates in it and not you, it's either $1,000 or $0, the list goes on.

6. Really, this rule by the NCAA gives EA a lot of leverage in the negotiation. The players can't collectively negotiate so EA should be able to set the price they are willing to pay and that be the end of it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2020, 10:05 AM   #12
Rookie

ndfan1993's Arena

OVR: 2

Why do people continue to feel this game or any other College games were cash cows?

We are in the minority here on those that purchased the game. Most players bought the game played it online - never went through dynasty - and traded it in for Madden. They bought the game BECAUSE of the rosters and the ability to play online for that 2 month window.

...and the comment about the 99% of players...that may very well be true but all it took was really 1, Ed O'Bannon, to throw a wrench into everything.

There is a reason why the NCAA is shying away from this - their lawyers have told them to due to it being pandora's box.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:31 AM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolFan01
I agree preventing collective bargaining will make it harder for the game to be developed but I still think it is something EA should pursue. My thoughts:

1. The NCAA wants to retain as much power as possible over players - hence preventing them from bargaining collectively.

2. Even though EA cannot bargain collectively with players, they still have an opportunity to develop the game.

3. After the rules are finally implemented, EA simply needs to make a standard offer to each individual D-1 football player. Every player's offer is the exact same. Hypothetically, $1,000 to use your name and likeness in the game.

4. EA needs to make clear it is a non-negotiable offer - accept it or reject it. If accepted, you are in the game with your name, likeness, height, weight, hometown, stats, etc. If you reject, a standard, generic player with standard generic stats, from a fake location, wearing jersey number 0 would fill your spot on the roster. I don't see how that could ever be infringing on a player's name/likeness

5. I suspect the vast majority of players would accept that offer for a few reasons - being in a video game would be awesome, they love the video game like we do, every one else will be in it and you don't want your teammates in it and not you, it's either $1,000 or $0, the list goes on.

6. Really, this rule by the NCAA gives EA a lot of leverage in the negotiation. The players can't collectively negotiate so EA should be able to set the price they are willing to pay and that be the end of it
That's 11,500,000 for the players. That's a lot of money. You can't do fake names anymore because they see customs as their likeness.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:08 PM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSellecksMustache
How about you just say that X amount of the revenue goes into a pot and then that pot is divided equally to each school that is in the game. From there each school divides their share equally among their players.
What the NCAA could do is negotiate with any game company wishing to make a college game for an amount each athlete will be paid. Then write up some boilerplate legal language added to the scholarship allowing each athlete to opt in or out.

Those who opt in get the cash and are included in the game. Those who opt out are excluded from the game.

That would require the NCAA to display some competence which is outside their ability.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:08 PM   #15
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ken
That's 11,500,000 for the players. That's a lot of money. You can't do fake names anymore because they see customs as their likeness.
It is but it isn't. A quick google search showed 500,000 copies of NCAA '13 were sold. Spread the 11,500,000 between them and its $23. Add in all the pay to play modes EA unfortunately does now and it still seems as if it should be profitable.

As for customizing names/faces/etc, you could remove that as you would have the actual people. Then no one could make the players who rejected the offer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2020, 09:49 PM   #16
Get off my lawn

JHamilton9's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolFan01
It is but it isn't. A quick google search showed 500,000 copies of NCAA '13 were sold. Spread the 11,500,000 between them and its $23. Add in all the pay to play modes EA unfortunately does now and it still seems as if it should be profitable.

Thinking like a businessman, having to go from $0 to $23 per copy just for the NIL would be a complete non-starter for me. Especially if estimates said I was only going to sell 500,000 copies, which used to go for $49.99 a pop.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »