Home

Why is NCAA 06 considered the best PS2 Version?

This is a discussion on Why is NCAA 06 considered the best PS2 Version? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-22-2020, 09:14 PM   #17
Pro

esayem's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Why is NCAA 06 considered the best PS2 Version?

Most of what I like about 06 has already been mentioned. Funny enough, I was on GameCube when it came out and I had to play it on my roommate’s PS or Xbox, whatever he had.

I ended up getting a slim PS2 because I missed college hoops and NCAA football. I had 07 and played the absolute **** out of it against a bunch of college friends. It was an amazing experience. I had one series with a guy that was like 45-43 when school was out in the spring. We’d use the random team feature and have to either choose a team or if we got to the third one we had to take them!

07 was a great game vs another human, but it lacked some features I liked on 06. 07 has the jump the snap, which doesn’t bother me as much as other people, but it does have the kick return camera I don’t like and you can’t turn it off. It doesn’t happen vs a human, just the CPU.

Also, a minor thing I despise: all the games after 06 don’t show a realistic attendance figure. Your attendance will show you’re only getting 15k in a 40k stadium, yet the place is packed. 06 is the last game with dynamic attendance.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:48 PM   #18
MVP

A few very vocal supporters of it, and a memorable soundtrack. It's also remembered as manys "last" ps2 NCAA, since 07 and 08 were considered buggy. IMO Several other games in the series do various things better than 06, and one puts together a better overall package.
I am building a website that will host classic sport gaming rosters from years past. We have lost many great rosters for good over the past several years due to expired links. If your interested in contributing, please PM me and let the work live on forever!
Old 05-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #19
MVP

joshrmlb's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanausual
EA took a major departure with the marketing of NCAA 06
what do you mean?
Old 05-26-2020, 03:17 PM   #20
Pro

volwalker's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture Rot
A few very vocal supporters of it, and a memorable soundtrack. It's also remembered as manys "last" ps2 NCAA, since 07 and 08 were considered buggy. IMO Several other games in the series do various things better than 06, and one puts together a better overall package.
Curious to hear which games you think are better than 06.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #21
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwalker
Curious to hear which games you think are better than 06.
I'm not even gonna go there. Talking about NCAA 06 around volwalker is like talking about one of his children. I respect both the game and the user too much.
I am building a website that will host classic sport gaming rosters from years past. We have lost many great rosters for good over the past several years due to expired links. If your interested in contributing, please PM me and let the work live on forever!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2020, 04:51 PM   #22
Pro

volwalker's Arena

Quote:
I'm not even gonna go there. Talking about NCAA 06 around volwalker is like talking about one of his children. I respect both the game and the user too much.
No, I really want to know. Maybe I'm missing something with the other games I don't know about. 06 has its flaws like any other game so it's nowhere near perfect.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:26 PM   #23
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwalker
No, I really want to know. Maybe I'm missing something with the other games I don't know about. 06 has its flaws like any other game so it's nowhere near perfect.
In my opinion, the player models in 2004-2005 are better. In 2006, it started the trend of all player models seeming the same size. In 2006, player body size/muscles are glitched, and jump around no matter where you set them, and you cant max them out. I like the brighter look of the graphics all around in 2004-2005. In 2004-2005, players vertical was actually a factor as they leap for jump balls. Pass coverage is more realistic (if more prone for abuse), low players arent glued to their assignment. I'm not a person who cheeses or abuses that stuff, so it plays better for me. Impact player addition was a negative, not a positive for 2006. Ratings seem to be like more varied and SEEM to matter more in 2004-2005. There are probably more things I'm forgetting. Frame Rate is better/smoother on 2004 than 2006. That's it really. 06 is still a great game.

Last edited by Culture Rot; 05-26-2020 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:41 PM   #24
Pro

volwalker's Arena

Quote:
In my opinion, the player models in 2004-2005 are better. In 2006, it started the trend of all player models seeming the same size. In 2006, player body size/muscles are glitched, and jump around no matter where you set them, and you cant max them out. I like the brighter look of the graphics all around in 2004-2005. In 2004-2005, players vertical was actually a factor as they leap for jump balls. Pass coverage is more realistic (if more prone for abuse), low players arent glued to their assignment. I'm not a person who cheeses or abuses that stuff, so it plays better for me. Ratings seem to be like more varied and SEEM to matter more in 2004-2005. There are probably more things I'm forgetting. Frame Rate is better/smoother on 2004 than 2006. That's it really. 06 is still a great game.
Thanks for your honesty. I disagree with most of it but that's okay, we're all different. I do agree in the player models as in 04 and 05, everyone looked bigger which I liked but that is just a preference and player models have no real effect on the gameplay itself so it doesn't matter.

If 04's dynasty mode wasn't so bare bones I would play it more. And 05 is not as bad as gamers think it is. Both of those games have big issues in Dynasty Mode among other things but otherwise, again, I would play them more, especially 04.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »