Home

Why is NCAA 06 considered the best PS2 Version?

This is a discussion on Why is NCAA 06 considered the best PS2 Version? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2020, 08:56 PM   #25
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Why is NCAA 06 considered the best PS2 Version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwalker
Thanks for your honesty. I disagree with most of it but that's okay, we're all different. I do agree in the player models as in 04 and 05, everyone looked bigger which I liked but that is just a preference and player models have no real effect on the gameplay itself so it doesn't matter.

If 04's dynasty mode wasn't so bare bones I would play it more. And 05 is not as bad as gamers think it is. Both of those games have big issues in Dynasty Mode among other things but otherwise, again, I would play them more, especially 04.

I will admit, I played 2004 more than any other game. My favorite recruiting story is I was coaching Cal in a Dynasty and 2004 was the year Oregon State was really good. So I had to battle them in recruiting. We were going head to head for the #1 Cornerback in the country and I led until the final week of recruiting and they snagged him at the end. I went into the next season saying when we play Oregon State I'm a make it a point to throw at him and pick on him all game. He picked me off 3 times lol...true freshman. By far the best recruit I've seen in my years playing NCAA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2020, 09:26 PM   #26
Pro

volwalker's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
I will admit, I played 2004 more than any other game. My favorite recruiting story is I was coaching Cal in a Dynasty and 2004 was the year Oregon State was really good. So I had to battle them in recruiting. We were going head to head for the #1 Cornerback in the country and I led until the final week of recruiting and they snagged him at the end. I went into the next season saying when we play Oregon State I'm a make it a point to throw at him and pick on him all game. He picked me off 3 times lol...true freshman. By far the best recruit I've seen in my years playing NCAA.
There are some issues in 04 that keep from playing it but if I had to invest serious time into another game, it would be 04.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:34 PM   #27
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
There are some issues in 04 that keep from playing it but if I had to invest serious time into another game, it would be 04.
I have 06 on OG Xbox and I love it. The only thing I love about it is the variety in games. I started a Dynasty and am letting CPU vs CPU play out and I have seen blow outs, close games, high scoring and low scoring games.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:45 PM   #28
Pro

esayem's Arena

I believe it’s 04, and the games prior where conference schedules don’t rotate. I also prefer the ability to scramble on 06 without pressing an extra button. That said, I’d probably still play some 05, and spent a ton of time on that game.

Nothing tops my dynasties on NCAA 2000 though. That game had so many great features that following games lacked.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:13 AM   #29
Pro

volwalker's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by esayem
I believe it’s 04, and the games prior where conference schedules don’t rotate. I also prefer the ability to scramble on 06 without pressing an extra button. That said, I’d probably still play some 05, and spent a ton of time on that game.

Nothing tops my dynasties on NCAA 2000 though. That game had so many great features that following games lacked.
Yeah, some things in 04 like lack being able to flip the direction of the run, conference schedules not rotating, CPU zone defenses backpedaling way too far back allowing for easy short completions, bare-bones dynasty, and two-button QB scramble keep me from playing it more.

05 is not as bad as some think but the gameplay speed is painfully slow compared to 04 and 06. It also had the drops problem which I didn't see as much. It also had the signing class glitch where a non Power-5 school would always land a top 10 class which didn't make sense. However, I need to play this game more so to what else, both good and bad, I can find.

I remember the ole ps1 games but barely, I remember playing 2001. Didn't those games have the playoff feature?
Old 05-27-2020, 09:53 AM   #30
Pro

esayem's Arena

Quote:
Yeah, some things in 04 like lack being able to flip the direction of the run, conference schedules not rotating, CPU zone defenses backpedaling way too far back allowing for easy short completions, bare-bones dynasty, and two-button QB scramble keep me from playing it more.
Are you talking about calling an audible? Is there a quick flip on 06? I didn't think there was.

Quote:
05 is not as bad as some think but the gameplay speed is painfully slow compared to 04 and 06. It also had the drops problem which I didn't see as much. It also had the signing class glitch where a non Power-5 school would always land a top 10 class which didn't make sense. However, I need to play this game more so to what else, both good and bad, I can find.
I seem to remember North Texas becoming a powerhouse because they had a couple of overrated running backs and played in the horrible Sun Belt. Throw the wealth of Texas talent on top of that, and they became a super power within a few seasons.

Quote:
I remember the ole ps1 games but barely, I remember playing 2001. Didn't those games have the playoff feature?
They did, it used the bowl games as the host sites. Those games also allowed the user to edit every single team's schedule in dynasty, they had accurate 1-AA stadiums, and like 20 pro stadiums. You could schedule neutral site match-ups too. They seem like such easy features to implement into a game, I have no idea why that stuff never carried over.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:02 AM   #31
Pro

volwalker's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by esayem
Are you talking about calling an audible? Is there a quick flip on 06? I didn't think there was.

I seem to remember North Texas becoming a powerhouse because they had a couple of overrated running backs and played in the horrible Sun Belt. Throw the wealth of Texas talent on top of that, and they became a super power within a few seasons.

They did, it used the bowl games as the host sites. Those games also allowed the user to edit every single team's schedule in dynasty, they had accurate 1-AA stadiums, and like 20 pro stadiums. You could schedule neutral site match-ups too. They seem like such easy features to implement into a game, I have no idea why that stuff never carried over.
Yes, in 06, hit Triangle and left or right on the d-pad to flip the direction of the run to either side. This works for most run plays but not all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2020, 11:45 AM   #32
Pro

esayem's Arena

Quote:
Yes, in 06, hit Triangle and left or right on the d-pad to flip the direction of the run to either side. This works for most run plays but not all.
Wow, still learning about this game. I think in the more recent games you just need to flick the joystick to the side.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »