Home

Why is NCAA 06 considered the best PS2 Version?

This is a discussion on Why is NCAA 06 considered the best PS2 Version? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2020, 11:59 PM   #41
Pro

esayem's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Why is NCAA 06 considered the best PS2 Version?

I see the deep ball thrown in 06, but I haven't experienced it overused by the CPU. I feel like I've been burned on it at times when I least expected.

The deep ball is a threat in real life though. Remember when Shoelace for Michigan would just blindly huck ducks up into the atmosphere and his great receivers made plays?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2020, 08:28 AM   #42
Rookie

OBinKC's Arena

OVR: 0

You guys are really doing a good job tempting me to dust off the old PS2 and find a copy of NCAA 06. I’m kinda torn between if I would actually buy ‘06 or ‘07. Volwalker has a good YouTube video on the overview of ‘07 and I appreciate his unbiased look at the pros of that game for being such an ‘06 fan. So that title is tempting too.

Back when those games came out, I was much more into Madden than NCAA (the only NCAAs I ever had were ‘97, ‘98, ‘99, and ‘02). So my question is, because I remember how both Madden ‘06 and ‘07 played, did they play like their pro counterparts of each respective year? If so, I’d have to give the nod to ‘07 but I’d like opinions from anyone who knows.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:27 PM   #43
Pro

esayem's Arena

Are Madden 06 and 07 much different? They both had that QB flashlight, right? I've been meaning to start a Franchise in 06 to correspond with my Dynasty.

The main differences I find between playing NCAA 06 and 07 are the returner cam and the jump the snap features included in 07. There is a workaround for the cam, but not jump the snap.

Aesthetically, 07 has updated uniforms, but it has the exact same 1-AA/FCS rosters as 06. It also doesn't portray accurate crowd sizes in Dynasty (neither do any of the following games), and it lacks the much heralded "girlfriend picture" in Race for Heisman mode.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:43 PM   #44
Rookie

OBinKC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by esayem
Are Madden 06 and 07 much different? They both had that QB flashlight, right? I've been meaning to start a Franchise in 06 to correspond with my Dynasty.

The main differences I find between playing NCAA 06 and 07 are the returner cam and the jump the snap features included in 07. There is a workaround for the cam, but not jump the snap.

Aesthetically, 07 has updated uniforms, but it has the exact same 1-AA/FCS rosters as 06. It also doesn't portray accurate crowd sizes in Dynasty (neither do any of the following games), and it lacks the much heralded "girlfriend picture" in Race for Heisman mode.
Thanks for the info. I do like nuances such as crowd sizes and do not like jump snap features that don’t work. Fake snaps work against the jump snap in newer versions, but I’m assuming they hadn’t gotten all of the bugs out in the first version.

As far as the Maddens, they did play similarly, but I just remember Madden 07 playing a little smoother and there weren’t many routes that exploited the defense like there were in 06. My memory could just be cloudy by this point, though, lol. Thanks again!
Old 06-05-2020, 06:06 PM   #45
Pro

volwalker's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBinKC
You guys are really doing a good job tempting me to dust off the old PS2 and find a copy of NCAA 06. I’m kinda torn between if I would actually buy ‘06 or ‘07. Volwalker has a good YouTube video on the overview of ‘07 and I appreciate his unbiased look at the pros of that game for being such an ‘06 fan. So that title is tempting too.

Back when those games came out, I was much more into Madden than NCAA (the only NCAAs I ever had were ‘97, ‘98, ‘99, and ‘02). So my question is, because I remember how both Madden ‘06 and ‘07 played, did they play like their pro counterparts of each respective year? If so, I’d have to give the nod to ‘07 but I’d like opinions from anyone who knows.
My series on 07 will feature a ton of exhibition games so I can record my thoughts on 07 as I play it more and more and in time start up a dynasty. I need to play many games to test out a bunch of stuff. Over the next few years I'd like to do that for other games too.

Last edited by volwalker; 06-05-2020 at 06:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2020, 08:15 PM   #46
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

I've been playing '11 more than anything else. The AI recruiting is annoying (the recruit all the QBs and hardly any linemen), the coverage on the secondary truly feels like a dice roll at times as opposed to rating based, and UCLA's uniforms are hideous........

But the updated playbooks (auto-motion and more emphasis on the spread) keep me glued to it.

As far as 06, the only thing that keeps me from it is the title game being one of the 4 BCS games. Other than that, I loved 06.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 06-05-2020, 09:44 PM   #47
Pro

esayem's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
I've been playing '11 more than anything else. The AI recruiting is annoying (the recruit all the QBs and hardly any linemen), the coverage on the secondary truly feels like a dice roll at times as opposed to rating based, and UCLA's uniforms are hideous........

But the updated playbooks (auto-motion and more emphasis on the spread) keep me glued to it.

As far as 06, the only thing that keeps me from it is the title game being one of the 4 BCS games. Other than that, I loved 06.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Good points. The uniforms in 11 are messed up. SMU has like three logos on top of one another on their uniforms. Other teams are messed up beyond belief as well. UCLA is unplayable.

You’re right, 06 is the last game with a bowl game being the title game. I actually kind of like that though, so to each their own. You’ll notice in the later games when the championship rotates, it uses the same logo as whatever that season is. So you’ll have a Rose Bowl natty logo in Florida. Ugh.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:25 AM   #48
lvl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by esayem
Good points. The uniforms in 11 are messed up. SMU has like three logos on top of one another on their uniforms. Other teams are messed up beyond belief as well. UCLA is unplayable.

You’re right, 06 is the last game with a bowl game being the title game. I actually kind of like that though, so to each their own. You’ll notice in the later games when the championship rotates, it uses the same logo as whatever that season is. So you’ll have a Rose Bowl natty logo in Florida. Ugh.
The recruiting is absolutely awful in ‘11. Makes it unplayable.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »