Home

NCAA Editor help (Object reference not set to an instance of an object)

This is a discussion on NCAA Editor help (Object reference not set to an instance of an object) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-31-2020, 07:10 PM   #1
MVP

DavidTheGreat20's Arena

OVR: 4
NCAA Editor help (Object reference not set to an instance of an object)

For the past few seasons of my dynasty, I have used the Dynasty Editor and mjavon's Dynamic Dynasty tool to help the CPU draft declaration logic as the normal one in-game is extremely flawed with many standout juniors never declaring.

Recently, however, I haven't been able to use the tool because of an error that keeps popping up that I don't have a solution for. I'm unable to open the file in the Dynasty Editor (or any editor, for that matter) because of it. I'm using Bruteforce and doing all the right things (decrypt -> change USR-DATA to an .MC02 file), but I get this error message when I try to open it:

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at NCAA_Dynasty_Editor.TableManager.AddPlayerAttribut es(ListView lv, PlayerData cPD, Int32& x)
at NCAA_Dynasty_Editor.TableManager.PopPlayerAttribut es(ListView lv)
at NCAA_Dynasty_Editor.Form1.PopCurrentView(Boolean refresh)
at NCAA_Dynasty_Editor.Form1.tc_SelectedIndexChanged( Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.TabControl.OnSelectedIndexCha nged(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.TabControl.WmSelChange()
at System.Windows.Forms.TabControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.8.4180.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_B
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
NCAA Dynasty Editor
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/david/Desktop/NCAA14%20Editing%20Tools/NCAA%20Dynasty%20Editor.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.8.4150.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.8.4001.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 4.8.3752.0 built by: NET48REL1
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Core
Win32 Version: 4.8.4180.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_B
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
OptaneShellExt
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Intel/OptaneShellExtensions/OptaneShellExt.dll
SharpShell
Assembly Version: 2.2.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.2.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Intel/OptaneShellExtensions/SharpShell.DLL
log4net
Assembly Version: 1.2.15.0
Win32 Version: 1.2.15.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Intel/OptaneShellExtensions/log4net.DLL
PinningServiceApi
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Intel/OptaneShellExtensions/PinningServiceApi.DLL
System.ComponentModel.Composition
Win32 Version: 4.8.3752.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.ComponentModel.Composition/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.ComponentModel.Composition.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Is a fix possible for this? I am using a different computer than I originally started using the tool on, which worked in the past, but doesn't anymore. What is the source of my problem, and how can I fix it?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2020, 02:04 AM   #2
Get off my lawn

JHamilton9's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NCAA Editor help (Object reference not set to an instance of an object)

Recently, a number of players seem to be having the same issue as you. Some are on XBox and some are on PS3. I'm going to ask a bunch of questions because I hope this could possibly turn into a successful troubleshooting thread. And one other users can follow.

As for you, which version of BruteForce are you using? I am wondering if the latest versions of BruteForce (and the latest versions of Modio for Xbox users) are causing problems with decrypting the file.

Next, if you click "Continue" on the editor pop-up error message, are you able to click on different tabs in the NCAA Dynasty Editor (Teams, Coaches, Organization, etc.) and have them populate in a minute or two? If so, which tabs are populating? I am wondering if there is a problem with reading one specific table or if it is a much bigger issue.

Finally, have you used only the editor to make the edits? Or maybe you export the csv file, make your edits, then import it back into the file. I recently discovered an issue with NFL Head Coach 09 where exporting the Player csv file, making edits, and importing it back could cause the file to have an error message. It turns out, anybody with a ", Jr." or ", Sr." with their last name or an international player with ", Canada" added to their hometown would add an extra column to the file and create that specific error message.

I'm trying to see if I can recreate the error message since I haven't had any recent problems opening several dynasties.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:31 PM   #3
MVP

DavidTheGreat20's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton9
Recently, a number of players seem to be having the same issue as you. Some are on XBox and some are on PS3. I'm going to ask a bunch of questions because I hope this could possibly turn into a successful troubleshooting thread. And one other users can follow.

As for you, which version of BruteForce are you using? I am wondering if the latest versions of BruteForce (and the latest versions of Modio for Xbox users) are causing problems with decrypting the file.

Next, if you click "Continue" on the editor pop-up error message, are you able to click on different tabs in the NCAA Dynasty Editor (Teams, Coaches, Organization, etc.) and have them populate in a minute or two? If so, which tabs are populating? I am wondering if there is a problem with reading one specific table or if it is a much bigger issue.

Finally, have you used only the editor to make the edits? Or maybe you export the csv file, make your edits, then import it back into the file. I recently discovered an issue with NFL Head Coach 09 where exporting the Player csv file, making edits, and importing it back could cause the file to have an error message. It turns out, anybody with a ", Jr." or ", Sr." with their last name or an international player with ", Canada" added to their hometown would add an extra column to the file and create that specific error message.

I'm trying to see if I can recreate the error message since I haven't had any recent problems opening several dynasties.
- I'm using Bruteforce 4.7.4

- I just checked using the Dynasty Editor and while the "Players" tab is the one having the error, I can open "Teams", "Coaches", "Organization", "Places to Play" and "Awards" just fine

- I use the editor to export/import the .csv files for further editing. I wish I can see if there are players with the edits you say are causing the errors, but I can't open them

Old 06-03-2020, 02:32 AM   #4
MVP

DavidTheGreat20's Arena

A quick update on the editor~

I went ahead and tried a different Dynasty file to open in the editor, and I was able to open, export and import the Players tab successfully. However, the error still persists in my main Dynasty file

Old 06-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #5
Get off my lawn

JHamilton9's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTheGreat20
- I'm using Bruteforce 4.7.4
I'm attaching my version of Bruteforce 4.4.2 just to see if it is Bruteforce creating the problem.

Quote:
- I just checked using the Dynasty Editor and while the "Players" tab is the one having the error, I can open "Teams", "Coaches", "Organization", "Places to Play" and "Awards" just fine
The problem is narrowed down to the Players tab. It could be a problem with the table (PLAY), the editor, and/or the XML file. I'm going to mess around with this stuff and see what happens.

Quote:
- I use the editor to export/import the .csv files for further editing. I wish I can see if there are players with the edits you say are causing the errors, but I can't open them
I probably should have asked how many seasons you have played in the dynasty and if it was a created roster. You would have had problems with the first season if you were exporting/importing csv player files with extra commas in their first or last name.

But here's an older version of Bruteforce to try out...
Attached Files
File Type: rar Bruteforce_Save_Data_v4.4.2.rar (4.22 MB, 8 views)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2020, 04:07 PM   #6
MVP

DavidTheGreat20's Arena

Did a couple tests, here are my results:

- Bruteforce doesn't seem to be an issue as 4.4.2 still can't open the file. The only one affected is the Players tab, just like 4.7.4.

- I believe the issue lies in the Players tab

- I can open the file fully in the Skulletor EA DB editor, but I'm trying to use the Dynasty Editor as it allows me to export/import .csvs for the dynasty tool.

- Once again, I don't have an issue opening other Dynasty files

- I am currently in the offseason between 2028 and 2029. I've used the editor starting in the 2022-23 offseason and have used it until 2026 which was the last season that I could open the file without any problems.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:37 PM   #7
Get off my lawn

JHamilton9's Arena

Here's a theory I am working on... and I am probably going to talk/write long and dumb because I'm trying to logically process this through my head.

Gamers use the editor for several seasons, then there seems to be a problem populating the players. For some, it starts around season 6. Other people seem to be getting problems in future seasons.

So what changes?

The school records, bowl games, and recruits have tables and their size is always static. New records will replace the old ones, you can't add bowl games through the editor, and you have the same number of available recruits every season.

But the number of players in the player table changes every year. When one first starts a dynasty, nobody has the maximum 70 players. Alabama may have 69, while a school like Wyoming may have 66. Central Michigan may have 68 in their second year, but then they'll be down to 65 in their third season.

What happens to CMU's players 66, 67, and 68 in that third season? They aren't removed from the game. Their player IDs are there, but their team IDs are changed. Instead of having Central Michigan's team ID, their new team IDs are 1023 (none).

Let's say in season four, CMU jumps up to the maximum 70 players. At that point, the IDs from the old 66th, 67th, and 68th players will be used and those old players will be "removed." But from season 4 on, every player ID in Central Michigan's range will be used. The only 2 team IDs in that range will be Central Michigan's or 1023.

So I'm thinking, that once every "slot" for every team is taken, the editor can no longer populate the Players tab for that dynasty. The editor can't read the Player table at its maximum size or the editor "thinks" the Player table is larger than it really is.

Granted, I am not looking at the code for the editor and this is all assumptions. Right now, I'm just doing a lot of testing and making note of the differences. Back to the lab again
Old 07-10-2020, 10:47 PM   #8
Rookie

Hey JHamilton9, first off, as a fellow Demon Deacon... Go Deacs!

But, more importantly, I wanted to chime in that I'm also having this reported issue (my error log is slightly different but still the same issue regardless). For your own troubleshooting purposes, I wanted to say that this popped up in only my third season of this dynasty. I was in the Preseason phase and tried to load the MC02 file and got the error. I was able to load the Recruits tab so I still could run the dynasty tool for that, but the Players tab was nonfunctional.

Anyway, if you're still trying to figure this out, just wanted to add my experience in.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »