Home

How would you differentiate coaches?

This is a discussion on How would you differentiate coaches? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-21-2023, 02:25 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
How would you differentiate coaches?

As the title says, how would you go about making coaches feel different?

We've already seen EA's attempts with their coaching skill trees in both the NCAA series and now recent Madden games, but is it enough for you? Would you want more than the HC, OC, and DC to be in the game even if fictional? Would you want negative traits among coaches? Do you want their impacts to be known like "+3 to Short Accuracy", or would you rather there be more ambiguity? Do you want to see a tendency system fleshed out?

Coaching is one side of the game I feel has never really been fleshed out enough in football games and it is something I really think is important in college sports and I feel EA really should focus on in the upcoming college game. I want to see how others feel and what they'd want to see from the coaching side of things.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2023, 02:59 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: How would you differentiate coaches?

For me, the coaching systems have been welcome, but they've never been approached like how I wish they were.

The key points for a coaching system for me are:

1. All on-field coaching spots
2. Ambiguity
3. Coaching tendencies
4. Coaching progression and regression
5. Positive and negative effects

1. All on-field coaching spots.
Spoiler

2. Ambiguity.
Spoiler

3. Tendencies.
Spoiler

4. Coaching progression and regression.
Spoiler

5. Positive and negative effects.
Spoiler

It's a long post and I apologize, but this is an area of the game I really wish was one of the main focuses as I believe it can truly make the dynasty experience go from being good to being at the top of its class. These types of details are what make text sim games like Out of the Park feel alive, dynamic, and amazing despite having no on-field gameplay. If you could get this level of depth to a coaching system and have it impact the game on and off the field, you already have one of, if not the best, career modes in all of sports gaming history.

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 02-23-2023 at 02:29 AM.
Old 02-22-2023, 03:10 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

That has been one of my bigger gripes. A coach's impact should be a lot more noticeable. I always felt like Madden/NCAA needed a true tendency system. Not just for players, but for coaches as well. In a perfect world for me, they would implement a system like thr old 2k VIP system. It wasn't perfect, but the intention of the system would really bold well for modern gaming. You could go really in depth with a system like that to how a coach handles specific situations

A VIP system would be my preferred method. But, I also think you can implement a system by just building off of what they already had in place. I believe in NCAA 14, each coach had a profile that had info like playbooks and schemes. I feel you can just expand the profile to differentiate coaches. For example, a conservative vs aggressive meter, Man vs zone, Blitz vs rush w/ 4, Run vs Pass, Substitution %, Trick plays %, etc. I feel like with the current system, you have to cover all the bases or it'll have all the coaches performing similarly. I actually think they do implement good features, they just don't fully flesh them out after year 1 or 2. Like with the Player Traits(Cover ball, hit stick, etc) in Madden. You could have a full tendency system if they would have added more aspects of the game. They could have added something like Throw Away trait. Where QBs who have "No" throw Away will hold onto the ball and try to force passes.
Old 04-04-2023, 01:56 PM   #4
Rookie

OBinKC's Arena

OVR: 0

I don’t ask for much when it comes to handling the coaching features. Perhaps I’m a little jaded as the dynasty eventually becomes too easy and any new perks only make it easier. BUT, the one thing I would like to see is for a head coach to be the one to hire his coordinators, and you have to run their specific playbook. Maybe have a way to incorporate custom playbooks as long as it doesn’t deviate from the coordinator’s play style, idk.

I would love to think about the more intricate ways to incorporate coach personalities and tendencies, but with the way EA strips more and more features with each new Gen, I’d first like to start with the basics.
Old 04-04-2023, 02:48 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBinKC
I don’t ask for much when it comes to handling the coaching features. Perhaps I’m a little jaded as the dynasty eventually becomes too easy and any new perks only make it easier. BUT, the one thing I would like to see is for a head coach to be the one to hire his coordinators, and you have to run their specific playbook. Maybe have a way to incorporate custom playbooks as long as it doesn’t deviate from the coordinator’s play style, idk.

I would love to think about the more intricate ways to incorporate coach personalities and tendencies, but with the way EA strips more and more features with each new Gen, I’d first like to start with the basics.
I'd be down with that. But they would have to incorporate a system that recognizes playcalling HC. The easiest way I can think of is to split it to 3 types of HCs. The Playcalling HC, Recruiting Ace HC, or the CEO HC and each has their own perks/bonuses and downsides. If you're not a Playcalling HC, then you'll have to use the OC/DC playbook. The perk to that coach is that you get additional boosts to the side of the ball you "call" plays on.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »