Home

Playbook Suggestions -- 1995 Nebraska

This is a discussion on Playbook Suggestions -- 1995 Nebraska within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2018, 08:53 PM   #1
Rookie

JH823Opsport's Arena

OVR: 3
Playbook Suggestions -- 1995 Nebraska

I'm using Metallicarl's "Who's Number One" roster for NCAA 14 and I'm torn between whether I should use Air Force, Option Run, or Run Balanced (the latter 2 are generic) as 1995 Nebraska's playbook. Which of these do you think would work best? Or which other playbook would you suggest for them?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #2
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Playbook Suggestions -- 1995 Nebraska

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH823Opsport
I'm using Metallicarl's "Who's Number One" roster for NCAA 14 and I'm torn between whether I should use Air Force, Option Run, or Run Balanced (the latter 2 are generic) as 1995 Nebraska's playbook. Which of these do you think would work best? Or which other playbook would you suggest for them?
I made an option custom playbook off of the Option Playbook. I basically just used I-Formation and set up majority option plays and power runs out of the I.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:48 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 0

Custom all the way.

Check out this thread:

http://www.nutopiasports.com/forum/i...n-offense.384/

Also, look at the actual 96 Nebraska playbook for inspiration:

http://www.footballxos.com/download/...-playbook-pdf/
Old 08-14-2018, 08:51 PM   #4
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH823Opsport

I have a ton of posts about this years ago and did just a ton of research in how to make it work in NCAA 14 and here are your options:

1) Use Air Force - It gets you closest to mid-90s Nebraska in terms of inside/outside zone run and option while still having enough pass concepts to not be screwed when playing online.

2) Custom playbook

#2 is obviously the best option, but you really need to be careful with your formations and concepts because in order to get everything you need, your playbook is going to be at/near the maximums.

The formations you need are:

Ace Big
Ace Big Twins
Ace Slot/Normal
Ace Y Trips
Ace Trips (not necessary, but it is so much easier to recruit WR than TE and you *need* a 3x1 closed formation like this or Big Twins)

I Slot
I Normal
I Twins
I Twins Flex (yes, you need both*)
I Y Trips
I Tight
I Twin TE (can be omitted)

Power I
Maryland I Tight/Heavy

Flexbone Normal

Shotgun Spread (if you have a really athletic QB) or Spread Flex (if your HB is your primary ball carrier)

Your concepts in every formation essentially need to be dive/inside zone, stretch/outside zone, toss, FB dive, triple option, speed/load option. Nebraska rarely/never ran actual triple option, but there is just no way to replicate Nebraska's option game in NCAA without using triple option. It sucks, but it is what it is. Especially with speed/load option being kinda broken.

Now the reason you need both I Twins and Twins Flex is because the toss play that is in Twins Flex is, for lack of a better word, epic. The ability to flip it and the effectiveness of the block, especially if you motion the outside (off) WR to crack block will make it a 8+ YPC play for you. 41/49 Toss was THE play that made Nebraska go in the 90s and so you need to make it work in NCAA 14 to replicate the offense properly. Unfortunately, most toss plays in the game don't work. The best are the tosses in I Twins Flex, I Y Trips and I Tight.

All of that said, there is a little wiggle room with formations depending on what you want to do. A lot of those one back formations Nebraska used in real life actually had the IB placed at 4 yards and utilized a wingback to run orbit motion as a pitch back for option. You can't use Ace to do that, so you need Flexbone. Flexbone has a few good formations you can make work to really implement a true wingback (late 80s and also late 90s/early 2000s Nebraska did this more than 1995).

In terms of pass concepts, basically what you want is a PA off your most used run concept (should be stretch/OZ), various sprintouts, and a quick passing game. If you intend to use this online, you might want to add a few more gun formations because too many people will just load the box on you and make passing out of it a tough situation. I'm the author of the Spread-I offense on Utopia which was essentially created to take this 1995 Nebraska offense and put it in the pistol/gun where it could actually be used online but I'll admit it is less fun than making the authentic under center zone power run offense work.

If you need any more help, let me know.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:56 AM   #5
MVP

^Epic. I build like all my offenses off of your spread I stuff.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (5) Plus mediante Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2018, 06:56 PM   #6
Rookie

JH823Opsport's Arena

OVR: 3

These are some really great suggestions. I'll look forward to using the Air Force and Custom playbooks for 1995 Nebraska, as well as the Houston Veer teams (1976 Pitt, 1977 Arkansas, etc.)

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by JH823Opsport; 08-27-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:36 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
I have a ton of posts about this years ago and did just a ton of research in how to make it work in NCAA 14 and here are your options:

1) Use Air Force - It gets you closest to mid-90s Nebraska in terms of inside/outside zone run and option while still having enough pass concepts to not be screwed when playing online.

2) Custom playbook

#2 is obviously the best option, but you really need to be careful with your formations and concepts because in order to get everything you need, your playbook is going to be at/near the maximums.

The formations you need are:

Ace Big
Ace Big Twins
Ace Slot/Normal
Ace Y Trips
Ace Trips (not necessary, but it is so much easier to recruit WR than TE and you *need* a 3x1 closed formation like this or Big Twins)

I Slot
I Normal
I Twins
I Twins Flex (yes, you need both*)
I Y Trips
I Tight
I Twin TE (can be omitted)

Power I
Maryland I Tight/Heavy

Flexbone Normal

Shotgun Spread (if you have a really athletic QB) or Spread Flex (if your HB is your primary ball carrier)

Your concepts in every formation essentially need to be dive/inside zone, stretch/outside zone, toss, FB dive, triple option, speed/load option. Nebraska rarely/never ran actual triple option, but there is just no way to replicate Nebraska's option game in NCAA without using triple option. It sucks, but it is what it is. Especially with speed/load option being kinda broken.

Now the reason you need both I Twins and Twins Flex is because the toss play that is in Twins Flex is, for lack of a better word, epic. The ability to flip it and the effectiveness of the block, especially if you motion the outside (off) WR to crack block will make it a 8+ YPC play for you. 41/49 Toss was THE play that made Nebraska go in the 90s and so you need to make it work in NCAA 14 to replicate the offense properly. Unfortunately, most toss plays in the game don't work. The best are the tosses in I Twins Flex, I Y Trips and I Tight.

All of that said, there is a little wiggle room with formations depending on what you want to do. A lot of those one back formations Nebraska used in real life actually had the IB placed at 4 yards and utilized a wingback to run orbit motion as a pitch back for option. You can't use Ace to do that, so you need Flexbone. Flexbone has a few good formations you can make work to really implement a true wingback (late 80s and also late 90s/early 2000s Nebraska did this more than 1995).

In terms of pass concepts, basically what you want is a PA off your most used run concept (should be stretch/OZ), various sprintouts, and a quick passing game. If you intend to use this online, you might want to add a few more gun formations because too many people will just load the box on you and make passing out of it a tough situation. I'm the author of the Spread-I offense on Utopia which was essentially created to take this 1995 Nebraska offense and put it in the pistol/gun where it could actually be used online but I'll admit it is less fun than making the authentic under center zone power run offense work.

If you need any more help, let me know.
So awesome to see people are still talking about this! If you have time and are willing, I'd love to hear about your play calling, what you call and why? Is it based on fronts? Do you have a script? Love to hear anything about it. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:46 PM   #8
Just started!

I know I'm a few years to late but which one of the suggestions had the most success.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »