Home

The NFL and 2K Are Back Together, 'Non-Simulation' Games Will Release Beginning in 2021

This is a discussion on The NFL and 2K Are Back Together, 'Non-Simulation' Games Will Release Beginning in 2021 within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2020, 03:55 AM   #497
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: The NFL and 2K Are Back Together, 'Non-Simulation' Games Will Release Beginning i

If you go and look at what 2K are doing with their WWE game next iteration then I think you'll probably be on the right track for their NFL game.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:16 PM   #498
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: The NFL and 2K Are Back Together, 'Non-Simulation' Games Will Release Beginning i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
If you go and look at what 2K are doing with their WWE game next iteration then I think you'll probably be on the right track for their NFL game.
That is the easiest conclusion to make especially when they state trying to attract a "casual" & "social" audience.

I still think they may attempt to tap into a more adult, "hardcore" audience, though that will be very difficult without the "simulation" license.

EA isn't the only one with great, high-powered lawyers and if they needed to find a "loophole" to push the genre forward (in a quasi arcade/simulation style like Super Mega Baseball) they will.

Official HQ of Bills Backer/Spurs Nation

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member
Old 06-04-2020, 08:30 PM   #499
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse
That is the easiest conclusion to make especially when they state trying to attract a "casual" & "social" audience.

I still think they may attempt to tap into a more adult, "hardcore" audience, though that will be very difficult without the "simulation" license.
Correct me if I'm wrong, though. They can make both of these kinds of games, right?

1) A non-sim NFL game.
2) A non-NFL sim game.

What if they do APF 2K22 without any NFL teams, players, stadiums and legends/retirees? I know I'd be asking for "full customization" meanwhile (which would also include rules options to match NFL-like extra points and kickoff procedures), though I don't know if certain things could be allowed like roster sharing? To what extent can they play with this idea?

Thanks.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 06-04-2020, 08:47 PM   #500
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Correct me if I'm wrong, though. They can make both of these kinds of games, right?

1) A non-sim NFL game.
2) A non-NFL sim game.

What if they do APF 2K22 without any NFL teams, players, stadiums and legends/retirees? I know I'd be asking for "full customization" meanwhile (which would also include rules options to match NFL-like extra points and kickoff procedures), though I don't know if certain things could be allowed like roster sharing? To what extent can they play with this idea?

Thanks.
Yes, in theory they could make both but we've seen that there is an unwillingness to do so. At least when comes to making a follow-up to APF 2K8.

I think the higher-ups at Take-Two would much rather go forward with titles branded with the NFL insignia, teams & players. I think amongst the hardcore there is a desire for a sim, non-licensed product but that likely wouldn't reach a wider audience.

If they do go back to the All-Pro approach - which they might if they can maintain, but improve, many of the core structures of that game - they'd likely package it in a MyTeam type of mode (or game if it could sell). Afterall that games concept is driving a lot of sales, microtransactions & consumer retention in modern games. They helped "innovate" the concept but lacked the needed modern/historic player, team & league licensing to continue forward.

The game also sold abysmally low figures wise.

I'm sure they've done focus tests, R&D & other forms of due diligence to what can and can't be made under the "non-sim" umbrella. And what might appeal to an audience that is (in some cases) frankly fed up with Tiburon & EA Sports. It could be just another game under their 'Battlegrounds/Playgrounds' banner of something that'll appeal to a bigger audience.

They did mention in the press release that the game would be branded with the NFL 2K moniker. For whatever that is worth.

Official HQ of Bills Backer/Spurs Nation

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member

Last edited by J_Posse; 06-04-2020 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:24 AM   #501

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer

1) A non-sim NFL game.
2) A non-NFL sim game.

Thanks.

Now that they have a deal with the NFL there isn’t a chance they jeopardize that relationship by making a game that could potentially compete with the NFL’s choice for their exclusive sim replication.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2020, 06:34 AM   #502
MVP

tsbmolina's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Now that they have a deal with the NFL there isn’t a chance they jeopardize that relationship by making a game that could potentially compete with the NFL’s choice for their exclusive sim replication.
I'm sure the contract is very specific and I don't think 2K would have bought the license if the contract was overly restrictive.

Last edited by tsbmolina; 06-05-2020 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:42 AM   #503
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Agreed. In the same vein, a lot of people are saying things like they'll find a loophole in the deal or skirt the sim/arcade line as much as they can legally within the written limits of the agreement so the NFL can't stop them regardless of whether they like it or not.

However, if they do anything that the NFL disagrees with, they may lose the relationship in the future. Some don't seem to grasp that the NFL is ultimately in charge here and can grant or retract licenses to anyone they choose for whatever reason they see fit.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:47 AM   #504
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbmolina
I'm sure the contract is very specific and I don't think 2K would have bought the license if the contract was overly restrictive.
There is more to this than whether or not 2K's contract with the NFL restricts them from creating a genric sim football game. They will want to keep a good relationship with the NFL. As such they would probably check if the NFL would be irritated by 2K releasing such a game.

They have been able to acquire an NFL license now but once that contract is up, the NFL might refuse to re-up if they are unhappy with 2K's other endeavors.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »