Home

OS Roundtable: The 2K and NFL Are Back Together, What Do You Expect?

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: The 2K and NFL Are Back Together, What Do You Expect? within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-28-2020, 09:47 AM   #41
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: OS Roundtable: The 2K and NFL Are Back Together, What Do You Expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
IMO you announce the project so you have some control of the related PR rather than it leaking via job postings, NFL, NFLPA, or Take Two public or financial disclosures.
I agree with that. It is better to control the narrative. I'd imagine that deal was already in place for a while. But with how easy and frequent leaks come , it is better to reveal it on their own terms.
I think that since it would be likely that whatever they release will happen around July-August, I don't see them waiting until 3-5 months to start the hype train.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2020, 01:51 PM   #42
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

They said it’s a deal for multiple titles. It takes years of development to put everything people expect in a sports game. I see them starting with an NFL version of 2k playgrounds. Ultimate team type game with historic game players or modern day if they can get NFLPA rights. Then introduce a franchise mode when the exclusive deal is up and they can get an agreement that allows simulation football.

The timing just works. They can build a game of the non-sim modes to sell first and then add simulation when it doesn’t break the EA deal. 2k21 or 22 would be the true return of 2k football ala 2k5.

I’m as excited as I’ve been in years because it honestly looks like exclusive NFL rights are coming to an end imo and that’s a win for all gamers. Even if Madden is your game of choice, less budget money spent on licenses means more money available for development if that’s where EA chooses to spend it.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:13 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 0

I still think the most logical interpretation based on what we know and not what we hope, is that they will roll out a new 2K8 with legends AND current day stars, add in a competitive card game element, and just print money.

We know it can't be an NFL Simulation. That might mean bizarre rules and arcade. But if you lack an NFL schedule, you can't simulate the NFL season. But we know that there is an NFL license of some sort. But I don't think bizarre rules and get the money guys excited. But MUT and MyPlayer sure do.

In my view, the best-case scenario is that they include single-player modes, including a season, maybe multiple seasons, but no way to edit it to become NFL-like. I'm hoping that they will also include a way to do an online league of 4-12 (or more) people, with no CPU teams.

As for those dreaming up conniving ways for 2K to make a game more sim, you have to understand that all three parties had to negotiate this in some way or another. EA has a contract, and they aren't going to let the NFL just break it to add competition. But the NFL will find a way to allow 2K and EA to occupy different spaces, and are not going to let either slide into the other's lane. It's a quick way to lose a license.

Had EA not released that they are sole home of NFL simulation football, I could see believing that 2K might be the sim and EA the arcade game. I mean, I think calling 2K5 a sim is stretching credulity. But then, I come from a time that no sports sim gamer in their right mind would consider a game with a controller a sim.

At this point, sim really only means having a licensed league, players, teams, and true to life schedule. How the game produces results, and how accurate those results are, seem tougher to define. I think it is foolish to assume that EA let the NFL grant competition without guidelines they all agreed to.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:15 PM   #44
Banned

AUTHENTICNFLNBA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
They said it’s a deal for multiple titles. It takes years of development to put everything people expect in a sports game. I see them starting with an NFL version of 2k playgrounds. Ultimate team type game with historic game players or modern day if they can get NFLPA rights. Then introduce a franchise mode when the exclusive deal is up and they can get an agreement that allows simulation football.

The timing just works. They can build a game of the non-sim modes to sell first and then add simulation when it doesn’t break the EA deal. 2k21 or 22 would be the true return of 2k football ala 2k5.

I’m as excited as I’ve been in years because it honestly looks like exclusive NFL rights are coming to an end imo and that’s a win for all gamers. Even if Madden is your game of choice, less budget money spent on licenses means more money available for development if that’s where EA chooses to spend it.
NOPE!!! The timing does not work... The game has a foundation which means it's already in a presentation state! I say that to say this, shareholders are well aware of what's coming and if you look closely, you'll see the changes! There's no way in hell TAKE TWO spends a nickel on something other than a mobile free2play game with micro transactions or an console release worthy of pulling in significant revenue over those years agreed upon! EVERYBODY REALLY NEEDS TO GO FIGURE OUT WHAT NON-SIMULATION MEANS IN THE GAMING INDUSTRY!!! When I tell you that 2K SPORTS will push the envelope this time with their football series, you better believe it's not gonna be some teeny bopper pew pew mode of a game!! That's a FACT!!
Old 05-01-2020, 07:24 PM   #45
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
I still think the most logical interpretation based on what we know and not what we hope, is that they will roll out a new 2K8 with legends AND current day stars, add in a competitive card game element, and just print money.

We know it can't be an NFL Simulation. That might mean bizarre rules and arcade. But if you lack an NFL schedule, you can't simulate the NFL season. But we know that there is an NFL license of some sort. But I don't think bizarre rules and get the money guys excited. But MUT and MyPlayer sure do.

In my view, the best-case scenario is that they include single-player modes, including a season, maybe multiple seasons, but no way to edit it to become NFL-like. I'm hoping that they will also include a way to do an online league of 4-12 (or more) people, with no CPU teams.

As for those dreaming up conniving ways for 2K to make a game more sim, you have to understand that all three parties had to negotiate this in some way or another. EA has a contract, and they aren't going to let the NFL just break it to add competition. But the NFL will find a way to allow 2K and EA to occupy different spaces, and are not going to let either slide into the other's lane. It's a quick way to lose a license.

Had EA not released that they are sole home of NFL simulation football, I could see believing that 2K might be the sim and EA the arcade game. I mean, I think calling 2K5 a sim is stretching credulity. But then, I come from a time that no sports sim gamer in their right mind would consider a game with a controller a sim.

At this point, sim really only means having a licensed league, players, teams, and true to life schedule. How the game produces results, and how accurate those results are, seem tougher to define. I think it is foolish to assume that EA let the NFL grant competition without guidelines they all agreed to.
Hell if it is like 2k8 with next gen graphics, improved locomotion/physics, and added animations, I would put away $65 right now lol.

I do agree that it doesn't have to mean over the top arcade gameplay. Unless it is NFL Playgrounds, It doesn't matter how over the top it is, you are still simulating football in some fashion. So like you said, it could be a situation where they can't simulate a NFL season/off-season. So my dream scenario would be a modern more customizable 2k8. Even though the game couldn't simulate NFL season structure, it would have added depth for replayability

I do agree that along with NFL, EA had guidelines to what 2k is allowed to do. But at the same time, I don't see them creating a over the top arcade game when it seems like the exclusive sim license could end the very same year it releases. Madden's is up after the 2021 season and the deal will be decided before 2021 ends. So i can see 2k building a engine like 2k8, while in background building a MyLeague that can be ready by 2022.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2020, 02:50 AM   #46
Rookie

The direction of Take-Two Interactive seems clear now, they want a simulation and arcade version of every 2KSPORTS title. Subsequently creating two revenue streams.

Visual Concepts (Simulation)
NBA 2K
NFL 2K
WWE 2K

Saber Interactive (Arcade)
NBA 2K Playground
NFL 2K ___ground
WWE Battleground

Last edited by Ev14; 05-03-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:55 AM   #47
MVP

OVR: 19

what 2k is banking on is, game-play mechanics and features.
They can release an NFL arcade game with better mechanics, animations, and features than EA.

they could potentially release an NFL game with the old NFL2k5 and APF2k8 mechanics/animations and update the graphics with SMB type graphics, give it some light heart-ed play by play and a multi season/franchise mode. IMO, that would fall under the category of arcade.

it doesnt have to be over the top, tackles or quirkiness for it to be arcade.

In addition, the basic gameplay rules for football arent owned by the NFL, are they? College football, HS football, and countless of other leagues use the same basic rules for football.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #48
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
what 2k is banking on is, game-play mechanics and features.
They can release an NFL arcade game with better mechanics, animations, and features than EA.

they could potentially release an NFL game with the old NFL2k5 and APF2k8 mechanics/animations and update the graphics with SMB type graphics, give it some light heart-ed play by play and a multi season/franchise mode. IMO, that would fall under the category of arcade.

it doesnt have to be over the top, tackles or quirkiness for it to be arcade.

In addition, the basic gameplay rules for football arent owned by the NFL, are they? College football, HS football, and countless of other leagues use the same basic rules for football.
I think SMB is the path to better sports games. That game, on the field, is as strategic and deep as The Show. But it does not get weighed down in realism. Instead, they dove deep in mechanics and tuned the game to just play really fair.

I would love an SMB take on all the other sports.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »