Home

OS Roundtable: What's the Best Arcade Football Game Ever?

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: What's the Best Arcade Football Game Ever? within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-31-2020, 06:29 PM   #17
Banned

tuckermaine's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: OS Roundtable: What's the Best Arcade Football Game Ever?

Madden is the most popular “Arcade” football game out there ..
Hope 2k can bring a real simulation to the table ...
Old 04-17-2020, 10:49 AM   #18
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Tecmo SB may be viewed as arcade today, but when it was released in 1991, I didn't think of it that way. It wasn't a pure sim either, but it was fairly realistic (at least until players had mastered it). And for consoles at the time, TSB was ground breaking. NFL and NFLPA licenses. The real NFL schedule (CPU teams played each other). The real Playoffs. Stat tracking. Run of the mill stuff now, but for those of use that grew up with Atari (and other 2nd Gen consoles), TSB was incredible.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:32 AM   #19
MVP

tsbmolina's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
Tecmo SB may be viewed as arcade today, but when it was released in 1991, I didn't think of it that way. It wasn't a pure sim either, but it was fairly realistic (at least until players had mastered it). And for consoles at the time, TSB was ground breaking. NFL and NFLPA licenses. The real NFL schedule (CPU teams played each other). The real Playoffs. Stat tracking. Run of the mill stuff now, but for those of use that grew up with Atari (and other 2nd Gen consoles), TSB was incredible.
Tecmo SuperBowl was revolutionary for it's time for all the things you listed above and those on field cinema sequences are still awesome til this day!

Last edited by tsbmolina; 04-18-2020 at 04:41 AM.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:16 PM   #20
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot

The term sim didn’t really exist in the old days because nothing was all that realistic but the original Tecmo and possibly super Tecmo (can’t recall) had 9 players on the field when Madden famously insisted his game featured 11 on 11. Based on that and the players flying 10 yards when tackles got broken made it arcade to me. Still one of the most entertaining football games of all time either way

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »