Home

Its NFL Playgrounds, right?

This is a discussion on Its NFL Playgrounds, right? within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2020, 10:05 PM   #73
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Its NFL Playgrounds, right?

I'm sure there are plenty here that want you to be right and hope you know what you're talking about, but.....

Why can't you say all this without the extra punctuation and condescending tone, though?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 05-14-2020, 10:05 PM   #74
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

It's like every post is the transcript of a Youtube video, each doubling down on the prior post and providing no actual new information despite being challenged to do so.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:10 PM   #75
Rookie

steeleye5's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse
I would agree with your statement - especially in today's sports gaming climate - if VC didn't have a background in "attempting" to improve AI, offline play while also appeasing/focusing on MyTeam/MyCareer aspects in the NBA series. They also have a team that was clearly passionate and cared deeply about football video games (they were a developer for EA on Sega/Super Nintendo after all).

Has the basketball title made huge, fundamental jumps this generation? No, but these (current-gen) consoles were "underpowered" at launch and VC (rightly or wrongly) had to scale back the fedility of the game to "squeeze" out a very robust game on our current platforms.

Hopefully, they can strike a balance between improvements in AI, physics, gameplay and the "social" aspects of the game(s). Whether that is basketball, football, golf, pro wrestling or any dormant IP they may bring back.There some validity behind your words, brother, but unfortunately people will be skeptical until something is shown. Partly because this is an anonymous message board, they are confined to making a "non-sim" game & people (myself included) were genuinely let down by how APF 2K8 turned out. Also, a more arcade title could be their lead in with hopes that NFL will get away from exclusivity for "simulation" games.

Clearly, he won't be able to provide us with "insider info" but he could have been following the job postings, have a industry contact or something else that is informing his viewpoint. It understandable to be skeptical of his claims, but they are just as valid as people saying the game will just be "NFL Playgrounds," TBH.

It'll be interesting to see when we'll get our first glimpse of the game.

Now, this below quote from an article by gamesindustry.biz does dampen my hopes a bit. I'll remain slightly optimistic but realistically believing it'll be a "full-on" arcade title.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Operation Sports mobile app

I would have to agree with this in general. At the end of the day, we don't know what it is, but we do know that 2k getting a license to produce a game with NFL Teams and likenesses is the first step to succeeding.

Also at the end of the day, sports gaming appeals to a large casual market. 2k knows (or should know) if they can create a game that appeals to them, maybe the NFL will say "hey, we can take the license off of EA and add you guys as well". It's a foot in the door at this point, the game itself could be NFL Tour or NFL 2k5, and I suspect most everyone who heard this news probably thought the latter rather than the former. We can't know for sure what it'll be at this point until we see something concrete but getting a foot in the door is the first step of kicking the thing off its hinges, which we can only hope is what happens from here. We also gotta remember though, this game could be straight trash and 2k never touches an NFL game after this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2020, 10:28 PM   #76
MVP

Reed1417's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I'm not going to say Madden is a dumpster fire. It's an okay game, but I don't think your analogies really work well here. Comparing Madden to a game like Alien Colonial Marines just doesn't work. Madden is the only football game around still, Madden has the NFL license. Those are two huge bonuses that Madden has in its pocket and are two huge reasons it gets the attention and sales that it does. It's also the reason it gets the criticism that it does.

I will not call Madden a dumpster fire, a garbage game, trash, or anything like that. I think it's okay. It does some things well, but I still think the overall package is very disappointing. I won't like about my opinion of the series or EA Sports. Neither are in a good place. I know plenty of people do enjoy the game, and I know it is not garbage. I get what you are trying to say in that there truly are some real dumpster fire games out there, but there are also a lot of games that are similar in quality to Madden that don't even sell half as much. Why? They aren't football games and they aren't the only NFL game in town.

I think a better metric to analyze Madden with is how popular the sport is relative to the other major sports and compare their sales with the knowledge of their popularity levels. That will show you that Madden under performs annually and I think that is where the quality, or lack of, in the gameplay starts to standout. The NFL is so much more popular than all of the other sports in the US, yet the Madden sales do not represent that.

I totally get where you were going with your analogy, but I don't think it works because of what I already mentioned. Madden greatly benefits from that NFL license exclusivity.
I appreciate your response! And I'd definitely agree that the quality of the game is WAY below what it should be at this point in time. We've seen the game basically get rebuilt on the 360/PS3 generation and then never really take the serious strides they needed to. Then you gotta talk about the Frostbite engine and how that's effected the game, a engine that from everything we've found out isn't made for anything but Battlefield style of games.

So there's a lot that goes into all this. I wish Madden were better, I hope eventually 2k gets another shot to make a simulation style of football game because I think despite what they've done with the monetization side of their basketball games, they also take the time to seriously improve upon the offline modes. Which I personally think Madden has always done a poor job of from year to year.

Thank you for the civil response and not biting my head off.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reed's WWE 2k23 Universe: Youtube Edition
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...e-edition.html
Old 05-14-2020, 10:34 PM   #77
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTHENTICNFLNBA
Im not claiming to be some leaker, insider or bull**** game changer my guy!!! What I will say is that I'm an a sports game advocate with major research skills and I also have resources I can rely on when questioned... All of these things I speak of are public knowledge and or commonly noted in the gaming industry.. These companies can only hide from within... They do need to use outside resources from time to time and that's where I get nosy... I'll say this and you guys might not know: Back in 2018, a guy I follow on IG tweeted out that EA and another gaming company had discrepancies pertaining to space on the field before an Colts game... HERE'S THE KICKER One of the EA devs openly joked to another that they were wrapping things up and the other guys could set up now because they had " A LONG WAY TO GO "

Now this guy is a multi millionaire. He has no time or reason to lie.... I'll leave it at that!!

For all you guys that just love to say " we don't know yet " naw... You don't ****ing know yet nor do you UNDERSTAND what non-simulation contains!! I've did my research for YEARS after playing these crappy Madden games.. I suggest you do yours! I'm talking NFL PLAYERS sitting 5 feet away from me telling me that 2K sports is on the field scanning and doing audio play by play but whatever BOys
Ok cool. So you have "major research skills". Can you use those major skills and provide us with links to some of your research?

If they are public knowledge, can you show us where we can find that "knowledge"?

So here are the resources you have listed:

- "A guy you follow on IG"

- An EA dev who challenged 2k. (Everybody this was from 2015 and it was Rex Dickson. Here is a link: https://segmentnext.com/2014/06/11/m...lop-nfl-games/)

- Some random NFL Players that you overheard discussing that 2k was "on the field scanning and doing audio play by play" (Didnt know you needed to be "on the field" to do audio play by play?)

Putting all that aside, I appreciate what you did. You listed all of your sources so now when someone reads your comments they can decide if what you say holds any weight.

Last edited by aholbert32; 05-14-2020 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:09 PM   #78
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed1417
I appreciate your response! And I'd definitely agree that the quality of the game is WAY below what it should be at this point in time. We've seen the game basically get rebuilt on the 360/PS3 generation and then never really take the serious strides they needed to. Then you gotta talk about the Frostbite engine and how that's effected the game, a engine that from everything we've found out isn't made for anything but Battlefield style of games.

So there's a lot that goes into all this. I wish Madden were better, I hope eventually 2k gets another shot to make a simulation style of football game because I think despite what they've done with the monetization side of their basketball games, they also take the time to seriously improve upon the offline modes. Which I personally think Madden has always done a poor job of from year to year.

Thank you for the civil response and not biting my head off.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I agree.
I feel like Madden isn't bad, but should be in a way better state than it is in now. Madden never truly recovered from the 360/PS3 transition. I see that more of a EA problem than Madden. At that time most of their games rebuilt from ground up and Live and Madden never bounced back from it. Just like how EA made most of their games implement the Frostbite Engine. And honestly, Madden is in need of another overhauling in gameplay just to kill off legacy issues dating back 15 years.

Yeah NBA 2k definitely has it has flaws. That's the one game I bought yearly. I bought it this year knowing I had thoughts of skipping it this year, then ended up selling it when I sold my consoles. But to get the point, there is a reason why I bought it yearly even though I'm a bigger football fan and just a casual Bball fan. It does take care of offline modes. Association/MyLeague has had great depth the past decade. And MyCareer doesn't just feel like a Player-Lock. They took care of MyLeague the start of this gen. They really haven't added much to MyLeague the last couple years(Mainly just MLO, and MyGM) and you haven't heard many complaints about that because of how deep the mode already is. 2k can get away with things Madden can't just because they have depth in offline modes. If 2k had a bare bones ML, people would be more upset with the Neighborhood events/games. If Madden had MyLeague type depth in Franchise, people wouldn't have been as upset with Longshot, FoTF, and Superstar KO. You had ex-devs like Rex Dickson noticeably disappointed that they couldn't do what he wanted because they devoted majority of resources to Frostbite and Longshot instead of working on core gameplay and Franchise.

At the very least, hopefully 2k pushes Madden to step it up. Madden feels like a game that isn't bad, but obviously never felt the need to truly be innovative and have to bring "it" every year. Madden feels complacent. Madden feels more of the same every year. Small improvements, a few step backs, a couple back of box features, and no big changes to core gameplay or franchise. I can't remember the last Madden I bought. I want to want to buy it. But don't want to settle because it's the only sim licensed NFL game on market.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:33 PM   #79
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I agree.
I feel like Madden isn't bad, but should be in a way better state than it is in now. Madden never truly recovered from the 360/PS3 transition. I see that more of a EA problem than Madden. At that time most of their games rebuilt from ground up and Live and Madden never bounced back from it. Just like how EA made most of their games implement the Frostbite Engine. And honestly, Madden is in need of another overhauling in gameplay just to kill off legacy issues dating back 15 years.

Yeah NBA 2k definitely has it has flaws. That's the one game I bought yearly. I bought it this year knowing I had thoughts of skipping it this year, then ended up selling it when I sold my consoles. But to get the point, there is a reason why I bought it yearly even though I'm a bigger football fan and just a casual Bball fan. It does take care of offline modes. Association/MyLeague has had great depth the past decade. And MyCareer doesn't just feel like a Player-Lock. They took care of MyLeague the start of this gen. They really haven't added much to MyLeague the last couple years(Mainly just MLO, and MyGM) and you haven't heard many complaints about that because of how deep the mode already is. 2k can get away with things Madden can't just because they have depth in offline modes. If 2k had a bare bones ML, people would be more upset with the Neighborhood events/games. If Madden had MyLeague type depth in Franchise, people wouldn't have been as upset with Longshot, FoTF, and Superstar KO. You had ex-devs like Rex Dickson noticeably disappointed that they couldn't do what he wanted because they devoted majority of resources to Frostbite and Longshot instead of working on core gameplay and Franchise.

At the very least, hopefully 2k pushes Madden to step it up. Madden feels like a game that isn't bad, but obviously never felt the need to truly be innovative and have to bring "it" every year. Madden feels complacent. Madden feels more of the same every year. Small improvements, a few step backs, a couple back of box features, and no big changes to core gameplay or franchise. I can't remember the last Madden I bought. I want to want to buy it. But don't want to settle because it's the only sim licensed NFL game on market.
I agree with this. Seems like most EA titles have felt like they're stuck in a "transitional generation" if you will lol. I think FIFA has come closest in-terms of on-field/court/ice gameplay from truly feeling like a complete, totally "next-gen" product, but I can't help but feel slightly disappointed at this entire generation of offerings from them. It's not that anything is "bad" it's just that all of their games feel just below what they want them to be. Maybe it's the challenge of working on Frostbite, the lack of power in the consoles, but something just feels a tad "off" or "clunky" in most of their games.

All of the games have weird physics that feel like it's still being tinkered with/not polished, the AI seems to have been rather stagnant this entire generation as most teams are still trying to add animations and polish the gameplay. I think the consoles being rather "under-powered" hindered these teams a lot, and I'm cautiously optimistic that this transition will be smooth and we'll start really seeing some great gameplay from EA.

Lastly, as 100% offline sports gamer, I think EA really needs to step-up in the "modes" department. More of a 2k MyLeague approach in all of their games would be appreciated by me. I just love making teams, jerseys, my own experience so having an easier way to create these experiences would be awesome to see. I'm hoping that if they can truly get the gameplay where they want on their titles due to the increased power, we can start seeing more depth in the "modes" department.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:09 PM   #80
Banned

AUTHENTICNFLNBA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
I'm sure there are plenty here that want you to be right and hope you know what you're talking about, but.....

Why can't you say all this without the extra punctuation and condescending tone, though?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
It's like every post is the transcript of a Youtube video, each doubling down on the prior post and providing no actual new information despite being challenged to do so.
Y'all too goofy for this... Trying to use reverse psychology huh? Enjoy the bedtime story... Y'all need it! ( whispers to himself ( This forum lame as hell )

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Ok cool. So you have "major research skills". Can you use those major skills and provide us with links to some of your research?

If they are public knowledge, can you show us where we can find that "knowledge"?

So here are the resources you have listed:

- "A guy you follow on IG"

- An EA dev who challenged 2k. (Everybody this was from 2015 and it was Rex Dickson. Here is a link: https://segmentnext.com/2014/06/11/m...lop-nfl-games/)

- Some random NFL Players that you overheard discussing that 2k was "on the field scanning and doing audio play by play" (Didnt know you needed to be "on the field" to do audio play by play?)

Putting all that aside, I appreciate what you did. You listed all of your sources so now when someone reads your comments they can decide if what you say holds any weight.
Now listen and listen good genius because this is the last time I'll say it, I DONT KNOW A THING!!! For you to think I was talking about that old 2013 REX DIXON E3 " CAP " shows what you know... I SAID 2018!!!NOTE: THIS WHOLE THING HAPPENED ON THE COLTS SIDELINE " BEFORE " A GAME!!! And hell naw I'm not telling y'all who IG it was so y'all can bombard his ****... This website use to be understanding!! Y'all act like a bunch of kids now!! At the end of the day, I told y'all what I know and that's that.. YES, IVE SAT DOWN AT A TABLE WITH NFL " PLAYERS " THAT HAVE SEEN UNSPECIFIED GAMING DEVELOPERS DOING THE SAME THING EA DOES FOR YEARS!!! YEARS... THEY ARE NOT STUPID Wet your tongue with it or not, but I don't lie but I do respect 2K SPORTS privacy... You better believe it..Cool off!!

Last edited by AUTHENTICNFLNBA; 05-15-2020 at 01:18 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »