Home

Is Tecmo Super Bowl not considered arcade?

This is a discussion on Is Tecmo Super Bowl not considered arcade? within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2020, 11:57 PM   #1
MVP

tsbmolina's Arena

OVR: 2

To me what it means to be an arcade game would specifically relate to unrealistic statistics. In Tecmo Super Bowl you could throw for 100 yard bombs, rush for 300 yards, and get 10 sacks in one game. It was so competitive and fun but definitely not a simulation. I hope 2K takes the NES Tecmo Super Bowl engine and updates it in the best ways possible. I would be first in line to play this competivley online. Please 2K make it happen. What do you think makes a game arcade versus simulation.

Last edited by tsbmolina; 06-03-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Is Tecmo Super Bowl not considered arcade?

I think you nailed it. Based on something real, but obviously not an accurate representation.

I'd argue Madden is arcade after a guy won the Madden Bowl without throwing a pass.

.. I think NBA Jam is the mother of sports arcade games. If 2k can manage to roll out something like that, I'd be beyond thrilled. Not sure how to make that work though? 7-on-7? No RB? I can't see the licensing agreement allowing them to produce anything close to what Tecmo is/was.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:25 PM   #3
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

It most certainly is an arcade game and the best ever doing it for the NFL.
I consider RBI Baseball 3 (NES) and Baseball Stars (NES) the best arcade versions for baseball.

What all these games had was amazingly addictive gameplay (I still play these titles from time to time on my original NES) but also season mode with statistics to go over and have fun with. Baseball Stars was ahead of it’s time for sure.

If 2K can make and NFL game like Tecmo Super Bowl I will be thrilled.

There is one that came out for Hockey this past year call Super Blood Hockey. Awesome fun.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 06-03-2020, 02:45 PM   #4
Banned

I agree with all of you, and I'll be the hockey voice in the room to say NHL Hitz Pro is the greatest arcade hockey game of all-time, and the series as a whole is the greatest NHL arcade series of all-time.

Hoping 2k delivers a fun, customization-heavy experience!
Old 08-02-2020, 06:23 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
I think you nailed it. Based on something real, but obviously not an accurate representation.

I'd argue Madden is arcade after a guy won the Madden Bowl without throwing a pass.

.. I think NBA Jam is the mother of sports arcade games. If 2k can manage to roll out something like that, I'd be beyond thrilled. Not sure how to make that work though? 7-on-7? No RB? I can't see the licensing agreement allowing them to produce anything close to what Tecmo is/was.
NBA Jam was the greatest of all arcade games!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2020, 06:24 PM   #6
Rookie

Also, how does the NFL allow 'Retro Bowl' on iOS? It is 11-11 with real teams, and semi-realistic player abilities!
Old 08-02-2020, 06:35 PM   #7

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL82
Also, how does the NFL allow 'Retro Bowl' on iOS? It is 11-11 with real teams, and semi-realistic player abilities!
You guys are making this too complicated.

The NFL doesn't "allow" anything.

They make their deals with their partners. It would be up to EA to pursue stopping another game. Retro Bowl is not worth the cost to fight.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:11 PM   #8
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbmolina
I personally would consider Tecmo Super Bowl an arcade game, evaluated by its exaggerated 2D art style and its extremely streamlined football gameplay mechanics (everything from how to throw passes to the extremely limited scope of the playbooks), especially when compared to games we would widely agree are more exemplary of the "simulation" label such as Madden, NFL 2K, NFL Gameday, or NFL Quarterback Club.

It is worth noting, however, that my opinion means literally squat as to whether any component of Tecmo Super Bowl fails the criteria for "non-simulation" as defined in the contracts between 2K and the NFL / NFLPA, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL82
Retro Bowl doesn't license the intellectual property of the NFL or NFLPA, nor does it directly infringe on the IP rights held by the NFL or NFLPA. Retro Bowl doesn't contain any NFL team IP (specifically it doesn't contain verbatim registered trademarks such as "Dallas Cowboys", nor does it contain any team logos or word marks; meanwhile, city names and color combinations are generally not protected as IP), and all the player names are randomly generated. As long as the developers of Retro Bowl do not violate the IP rights of the NFL or NFLPA, they can do whatever they want.

As a side note: I'm not a lawyer so please don't take this as gospel, but my current understanding of name-image-likeness intellectual law is that a video game can include publicly available data about a player such as his name / height / weight / stats without a license as long as the game makes no attempt is made to represent said player's likeness. There were a few lawsuits involving fantasy football and fantasy baseball web sites about this matter.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 08-02-2020 at 10:17 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »