Home

NFL 2K Retrospective: Remembering the Other NFL 2K Games, Courtesy of Nikolai

This is a discussion on NFL 2K Retrospective: Remembering the Other NFL 2K Games, Courtesy of Nikolai within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 07-14-2020, 04:00 PM   #1
Owner and News Editor

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NFL 2K Retrospective: Remembering the Other NFL 2K Games, Courtesy of Nikolai

We still talk about ESPN NFL 2K5 on this site and use it for things like...

Written By: Chase Becotte

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2020, 04:51 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 6
2K1 on Dreamcast was revolutionary and changed the industry as it introduced online gaming on consoles.* Even with dial up it worked really well.

2K3 was the best game out of the whole series when it came to gameplay.* It was just too hardcore for casual gamers.* I remember the big complaint was too many drops but casual gamers didnt understand 2K wanted the user to use the catch button to catch the ball.

2k5 put it all together.* Great for casual and hardcore gamers.* Also appealed to a broader audience.*

RIP NFL 2K
Old 07-14-2020, 06:18 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: NFL 2K Retrospective: Remembering the Other NFL 2K Games, Courtesy of Nikolai

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyacinth1
2K1 on Dreamcast was revolutionary and changed the industry as it introduced online gaming on consoles.* Even with dial up it worked really well.

2K3 was the best game out of the whole series when it came to gameplay.* It was just too hardcore for casual gamers.* I remember the big complaint was too many drops but casual gamers didnt understand 2K wanted the user to use the catch button to catch the ball.

2k5 put it all together.* Great for casual and hardcore gamers.* Also appealed to a broader audience.*

RIP NFL 2K
I recently started playing 2k3. I never purchased it back in 02. and I have to admit that I do think that it' very good. it is more more hardcore. I like the fact that you have to understand football situations on defense. as a defender there is no knowledge as to what package the offense will be using on said down.

drives are longer because I think the field is slightly bigger. I also like the analog features/ manual catch found in the game . also the way fatigue is handled on the field. you may have to run a bit more clock before snaps to get some of your players fatigue reduced.

I like the crowds in the game as well.

2k5 is still the goat as far as football games though.

I enjoyed this retrospective.

2k football's graphics are still good enough for me. the game is just so organic.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:40 AM   #4
MVP

sheredia's Arena

OVR: 12
it just saddens me to this day to know how good NFL 2K could have been if it kept going on past 2K5......it would have been epic. the reason NFL 2K5 resonates to this day is because madden has regressed every year since madden 2005.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:21 AM   #5
Rookie

f1sh1000's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: NFL 2K Retrospective: Remembering the Other NFL 2K Games, Courtesy of Nikolai

Some of my fondest memories of the 2k series are playing NFL 2k3 on my GameCube. I remember the difficulty being the main fun of the game. I was doing a season as the Bills because they had new uniforms and Drew Bledsoe, to this day my avatar on this site is a Bills logo...I’m not even a Bills fan haha. It’s my fondest memories of playing 2k though.

I remember convincing my friend in High School to buy the game and he came in the next day and was like “what did you make me buy?” “It’s the hardest game on EARTH!“ Little by little though he would come in each day and it would grow on him and when it was all said and done he was a huge fan of 2k football.

I loved the difficulty of 2k3. I would struggle to get first downs at first haha. I have purchased all of them, even the Dreamcast ones. Love this series and hope it comes back someday
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2020, 02:26 AM   #6
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Great video! NFL2k3 was my introduction to 2k football. Up to that point I had played Madden exclusively so, for me, the shock and awe of NFL 2k3's graphics, animations and presentation was overwhelming. Considering the trajectory of NFL 2k and the innovative aggressiveness of Visual Concepts, there's little doubt it would be entrenched as the football game of choice by now.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:21 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Nice trip down memory lane.

2K1 was the first one I played, and I couldn't really get into it. Graphics and sound were great, but I still preferred Madden's gameplay. Seeing the future of online play was cool, but I never found playing over dial up fun.

2002 I switched back to Madden, so I didn't play 2k2. 2K3 I loved, and that got me into 2K games for good. While I don't necessarily agree that it was more realistic than 2k4 or 2k5, it was certainly a huge jump from 2k1 in just about every way.

What was amazing about that time was that while each of those games had major flaws, you knew if there was a big problem it was going to be addressed next year 2K4 definitely had issues with the tackling and overpowered running backs, 2K5 that was totally fixed. No legacy issues that are in the game for 20 years in a row.

And then just the shear amount of improvements they made every year. Every aspect of the game would be substantially worked on. Even stuff like the crib which wasn't a priority for the sim crowd and fpf which wasn't too popular (though I actually liked it ok), those things didn't take away from the game at all they still were able to make massive improvements in other areas. Very different from what we get with Madden where they usually pick one gameplay area to work on, claim its just the start and its going to improve the foundation of the game, and then the next year move on to one other completely unrelated area.

Definitely a great era of gaming
Old 07-18-2020, 06:43 AM   #8
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

Loved that video. I still have all the NFL 2k games and my Dreamcast and original Xbox. I haven't played any of them in a while but I'm definitely going to after watching that video. At 60 years of age I look back at those games and remember the hours and hours of fun I had playing them. When NFL 2k5 came out my wife and I were on vacation in Tennessee (we live in Maine) we went there for Ozzfest , I bought the game there and spent half the ride home , while my wife was driving, staring at the packaging and game manual. Couldn't wait to get home to play it.

It really is sad that the exclusive deal had to happen. I can only imagine what it would be like if NFL 2k21 were coming out this august. I really wish there were enough of us so if we all did not buy Madden for a year , it would make a difference and hurt them financially, but the truth is they wouldn't even notice.

The NFL 2k series gave us real gridiron football that kept us coming back day after day for more. Madden gives us a game that to this day still needs a hand full of patches after release and it still falls way short. Lets be honest here , what we get now is all about money , the game is Madden Ultimate Team and that is all there is to it. If you're waiting for Madden to give you a franchise mode that lives up to reality , you will go to your grave before you get a chance to see it because it's never going to happen. Ok I'm starting to bash Madden to much so I'll stop but come on man , to this day Madden has still not reached the level on the field that 2k did 16 years ago.

R.I.P. 2k football you are very sorely missed........

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »