Home

NFL2k5 compared to Madden 21

This is a discussion on NFL2k5 compared to Madden 21 within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2020, 12:38 PM   #1
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2020, 11:11 AM   #2
Rookie

packers's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NFL2k5 compared to Madden 21

NFL 2K5 is still the standard across many areas. This is still the most entertaining football game made. The T2 development team really made something special.

EA dumped on the PC community when they stopped releasing after M08. M19 was nice to have something updated, but many of us still play NFL 2K5 because it still the only title that offers a rich complete experience.

Highlight shows are something EA never was successful with. I'm starting a new highlights playlist to share.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...z6pLMsFj162EmV
Old 10-15-2020, 07:03 AM   #3
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

I played and enjoyed Madden 20 a lot. However it was only MUT mode that I found enjoyable. Franchise mode is so bare bones I just can't stay interested. So Last year I decided to try out MUT. I went all in . I started out building my team by completing solo challenges and winning all the solo battle games each week to accumulate coins to spend in the auctions. I even spent $150.00 over the course of the year buying a few card packs.

I liked building my team and competing online , so when Madden 21 came out I sprung for the MVP addition thinking I'd do MUT again this year. I was blown away by how bad Madden 21 is , yeah it's a bit better now that it's been patched a dozen times , but there are still glaring issues with the game. I'm seeing things happen in this game that just do not make any sense. The pass coverage is horrific. It really seems like EA put all their efforts into ridiculous play celebrations instead of giving a **** about the game play.

So I dusted off my Xbox 360 and dug All Pro Football 2k8 out of the closet and holy **** , this game is lightyears better than anything EA has done or will ever do. I just don't think they have the knowledge to make a realistic feeling football game. I also played some 2k5 , both of these games are just so much better on the field than Madden is , it's mind boggling that EA has not been able to reach that level in the past 15 years.

So my video game football fix will remain with NFL 2K5 and APF 2K8. I hope the new 2k football game will be decent.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:55 AM   #4
Rookie

Micrmay2113's Arena

OVR: 0

When I first started playing NFL 2K5, I wasn't immediately hooked on it because I was used to Madden gameplay. I mostly played Madden from 2003 to 2008, and 2017 to 2020. More than Madden though, I stick with NCAA Football which I've always preferred to Madden anyways.

What sold me on 2K5 and got me hooked, was when I finally got my first tipped interception. I was so used to seeing interceptions only happen when you catch them. I tipped the pass, and then caught it afterwards. Blew my mind when it happened, because I had only ever played EA football games up to that point.

The more I played 2K5, the more I saw little animations that EA has never gotten right. The difference between quarterback passing animations is still night and day between 2K and EA. And not to mention the half time and post game shows that recap actual gameplay footage from the game if you're on Xbox. Ps2 is just screenshots, but it's still more effort than EA has ever put into half time and post game shows.

I'm playing with a 2021 roster file and I don't think I'll ever touch another Madden unless I feel nostalgic for 05-08 and 2012. I honestly can't blame EA for getting the exclusive license after 2K5 came out. Had I been a dev on Tiburon, I would have crapped my pants too.

Last edited by Micrmay2113; 10-24-2020 at 04:58 AM.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:21 PM   #5
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micrmay2113
When I first started playing NFL 2K5, I wasn't immediately hooked on it because I was used to Madden gameplay. I mostly played Madden from 2003 to 2008, and 2017 to 2020. More than Madden though, I stick with NCAA Football which I've always preferred to Madden anyways.

What sold me on 2K5 and got me hooked, was when I finally got my first tipped interception. I was so used to seeing interceptions only happen when you catch them. I tipped the pass, and then caught it afterwards. Blew my mind when it happened, because I had only ever played EA football games up to that point.

The more I played 2K5, the more I saw little animations that EA has never gotten right. The difference between quarterback passing animations is still night and day between 2K and EA. And not to mention the half time and post game shows that recap actual gameplay footage from the game if you're on Xbox. Ps2 is just screenshots, but it's still more effort than EA has ever put into half time and post game shows.

I'm playing with a 2021 roster file and I don't think I'll ever touch another Madden unless I feel nostalgic for 05-08 and 2012. I honestly can't blame EA for getting the exclusive license after 2K5 came out. Had I been a dev on Tiburon, I would have crapped my pants too.

Same, ps2 madden was my favorite and I was biased when 2k5 came out. My wife picked it up for me for $20 and I poo pooed the half time show screenshots as something that would get old quick. My 2nd game of 2k I had a play where a dlineman should’ve had a sack, but the throwing animation overruled it and it was completed for a 1st. One of those moments that will eventually happen in any game. Turned it off right then and there and when Madden 05 dropped 2k collected dust.

It took Maddens horrendous jump to the next gen for me to give 2k another shot and get APF2k8 and I was amazed at the gameplay. That inspired me to take another look at 2k5. In some ways I wish I wouldn’t have because it completely ruined Madden for me.

Now I mostly play other non football games and pine for a football game I pretty much ignored at its peak.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

May I ask this group whether or not NFL 2K5 can be played long-term in franchise mode without the use of editors and mods?

I know a good bit has been done to improve the game, but I find the idea of using editors and mods tedious and wouldn't want to need to use mods to overcome fundamental game play deficiencies.

Does this game hold up in its gold version, or are there particular weaknesses that a console player not interested in mods should know about?

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2020, 12:18 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueNautilus
May I ask this group whether or not NFL 2K5 can be played long-term in franchise mode without the use of editors and mods?

I know a good bit has been done to improve the game, but I find the idea of using editors and mods tedious and wouldn't want to need to use mods to overcome fundamental game play deficiencies.

Does this game hold up in its gold version, or are there particular weaknesses that a console player not interested in mods should know about?

Thanks!
NFL2k5 does have a deep franchise mode. If you want realistic rosters to start, then you'll have to find one or make one yourself. But the franchise mode is entertaining. you can restructure contracts, etc. playing with the game prep feature on is also a nice feature. you basically get a scouting report of your opponent then you can chooses specificities training/practice tasks for said game.

Madden 21 franchise mode now, is very similar to NFL2k5.

If I were to compare the two titles, I would say Madden 21 resembles NFL2k5 in alto of areas. from player movement, lead passing etc, are all similar to NFL2k5.

Madden 21 has held my interest because IMO they are comparable. 2k5 is still better, but 21 is right there, minus a few immersive features.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:27 PM   #8
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
NFL2k5 does have a deep franchise mode. If you want realistic rosters to start, then you'll have to find one or make one yourself. But the franchise mode is entertaining. you can restructure contracts, etc. playing with the game prep feature on is also a nice feature. you basically get a scouting report of your opponent then you can chooses specificities training/practice tasks for said game.

Madden 21 franchise mode now, is very similar to NFL2k5.

If I were to compare the two titles, I would say Madden 21 resembles NFL2k5 in alto of areas. from player movement, lead passing etc, are all similar to NFL2k5.

Madden 21 has held my interest because IMO they are comparable. 2k5 is still better, but 21 is right there, minus a few immersive features.
I dunno man. I enjoy Madden but....

I'm like a couple others here who didnt really appreciate 2K5 when it came out so I'm not at all a fanboy. I was a Madden guy. I'm also not really big on nostalgia gaming as most games, even if they can be recognized as the GOAT dont hold up well over time. MVP 05 is my favourite baseball game of all time but I cant play it today.

2K5 though is just better than Madden in so many ways. It's not just the presentation that is unparalleled, its the line play, QB throwing and scrambling motions, working penalties(defensive holding works are you kidding me?)The cpu run game and it's a viable weapon. I honestly could go on and on.
All the little things I see on Sunday are there.

The only real hit it can take is some wonky DB play and interactions and the graphics. On PC in 4k though I'm not even the littlest bothered by the dated graphics.

So like I said, I like Madden but the fact it hasn't even caught up to NFL 2K5 in terms of presentation or gameplay is mind blowing. They should be well past them 15 years later.

Last edited by CujoMatty; 10-29-2020 at 03:29 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »