Home

2K Head Coach?

This is a discussion on 2K Head Coach? within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-02-2021, 01:17 AM   #1
Rookie

TheButter's Arena

OVR: 0
2K Head Coach?

Since Madden has been on a rapid decline due to poor gameplay, the NFL Head Coach games have been getting new life and have become more popular than when they were released.

What're the chance's 2K makes a HC or a GM game, or has built into the new game to set it apart from Madden? I know they're not making a simulation game, but what do you think?7a87d3d.jpeg

CPU teams stole your successful plays in your playbook and added them to their playbooks. That feature met with college playbooks from incoming college coaches and user created plays birthed a new meta evolution for playcallers across the NFL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2021, 03:52 AM   #2
MVP

zello144's Arena

Re: 2K Head Coach?

I'll take anything.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:45 PM   #3
MVP

Chiefsfan881129's Arena

OVR: 13

I'd buy this. I really liked NFL head coach & really miss this game being released it had so much potential...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Operation Sports mobile app

Kansas #1 KC ChiefsFan!
Kansas #1 KU Basketball Fan!
Kansas #1 Boston Redsox Fan!
Kansas #1 K-State Football Fan!
Kansas #1 OKC Thunder Fan!

Home Of Madden Cover Barry Sanders! Go Chiefs!
Old 04-06-2021, 10:50 PM   #4
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

I feel like similar to APF2k8 and the original Head Coach - neither of which warranted a follow-up title - the appeal is just too limited.

I'd love to see it, but would really prefer most of that functionality exist in a robust soup to nuts simulation game instead of one focused on one role.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:59 PM   #5
MVP

zello144's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
I'd love to see it, but would really prefer most of that functionality exist in a robust soup to nuts simulation game instead of one focused on one role.
What about NFL 2K Quarterback?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2021, 11:36 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
I feel like similar to APF2k8 and the original Head Coach - neither of which warranted a follow-up title - the appeal is just too limited.

I agree with HC and APF. HC was a very niche title. Well yes most wants a robust Franchise, but if that's it in a game with no user gameplay, you're targeting a very small crowd. I didn't play either HC game because at that younger age, I wasn't into that like that and probably would've been overwhelmed honestly. With APF, the Legends approach limited what you can do. I get 2k's thinking that if they couldn't get current NFL players, that the next best thing was NFL legends. The problem with that is that you're overestimating the Legends appeal to casual fans. The casual fan won't really know the low profile good players like Dexter Manley, Lem Barney, Herman Moore. I was looking at roster now and just realized Eric Bieniemy was in the game lol. Marketing hurt the game. I think it would have sold better now because of social media and 2k/Visual Concepts brand is a lot stronger now.

But as you said, neither game really warranted a sequel. Head Coach is better as a mode in a Football game not a standalone title. The further more in depth you would've went with a sequel, the more you're narrowing an already niche crowd. With APF, the legend approach really limited what you could build on. You can't really have a Franchise mode with Legends. You have to come up with a way age them, cycle in/out players, contract, offseason, etc. Honestly would've been better off with generic players that way it gave them more creative freedom. Besides add more Legends, that approach limits creative freedom. Plus didn't Madden/EA Sports acquire exclusive rights of a lot of Legends which would’ve prevented 2k from using them .

Would love to a combination of Head Coach mode with APF gameplay. But, when you focus on one role, you're targeting smaller crowds
Old 04-07-2021, 07:52 PM   #7
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I would hazard to guess that an 11-on-11 coaching game focused on authentic tactics, strategy, and roster management would fall under the broad label of "simulation football game", which, Electronic Arts is the only company contractually allowed to make such a game using the NFL license.

2K has also never shown any interest in making a game focused exclusively on coaching any professional sport, to the best of my knowledge.

To the topic question, I would say the chances are nearly zero, if not precisely zero.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:37 PM   #8
MVP

zello144's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
2K has also never shown any interest in making a game focused exclusively on coaching any professional sport, to the best of my knowledge.
They did do it once with MLB Front office manager way back in 2009 and it sold very very poorly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »