Home

Upcoming 2K Football Game Delayed Until at Least 2022

This is a discussion on Upcoming 2K Football Game Delayed Until at Least 2022 within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-03-2021, 08:57 AM   #33
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Upcoming 2K Football Game Delayed Until at Least 2022

https://youtu.be/vVLCLiKj4rE SGO Press Pass

Interesting if true about 2k. If they were planning to release holiday time frame, that would be a lot later than I expected. I expected them to want to release before Madden, not in the middle of season. I can see NFL wanting 2k to release prior to season to maximize sales and 2k probably wanted to do it as the season is heating up. But, I think the NFL season isn't long enough to release mid-season. Releasing in November, would only really give you 2 months in season and a lot of casuals only play during the season. For me, I always felt that if I wanted to buy Madden, Black Friday would be too late in season to buy it. It's a different thing for me to wait until Black Friday to buy 2k because its still very early in season.

Also about the ESPN thing. I do think they want a bigger presence in sports games besides just having the ESPN personalities in the game in social media sections. But most sports games now, rather just have their own broadcasts nowadays. 2k pretty much has their own version of TNT broadcast with their personalities. The original EA ESPN deal ended and I always expected them to renew it. I can see ESPN wanting a bigger presence in EA Sports games because outside of a few games, it was mainly used as marketing.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:49 PM   #34
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
https://youtu.be/vVLCLiKj4rE SGO Press Pass

Interesting if true about 2k. If they were planning to release holiday time frame, that would be a lot later than I expected. I expected them to want to release before Madden, not in the middle of season. I can see NFL wanting 2k to release prior to season to maximize sales and 2k probably wanted to do it as the season is heating up. But, I think the NFL season isn't long enough to release mid-season. Releasing in November, would only really give you 2 months in season and a lot of casuals only play during the season. For me, I always felt that if I wanted to buy Madden, Black Friday would be too late in season to buy it. It's a different thing for me to wait until Black Friday to buy 2k because its still very early in season.

Also about the ESPN thing. I do think they want a bigger presence in sports games besides just having the ESPN personalities in the game in social media sections. But most sports games now, rather just have their own broadcasts nowadays. 2k pretty much has their own version of TNT broadcast with their personalities. The original EA ESPN deal ended and I always expected them to renew it. I can see ESPN wanting a bigger presence in EA Sports games because outside of a few games, it was mainly used as marketing.
It seems logical from a NFL standpoint. That said, it seems that 2K probably has a better feel from the general gaming perspective.

NFL2K is still a fairly big deal and a good amount people would play it out of some sense of intrigue/nostalgia/ties to NBA2K.

So in that sense, it makes sense that 2K would want its own timeframe to release its game without directly competing with Madden. There's very obvious bad blood between the two companies so there was essentially no chance that 2K would release such a poor state game despite one being sim and the other arcade.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 06-03-2021, 11:33 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
It seems logical from a NFL standpoint. That said, it seems that 2K probably has a better feel from the general gaming perspective.

NFL2K is still a fairly big deal and a good amount people would play it out of some sense of intrigue/nostalgia/ties to NBA2K.

So in that sense, it makes sense that 2K would want its own timeframe to release its game without directly competing with Madden. There's very obvious bad blood between the two companies so there was essentially no chance that 2K would release such a poor state game despite one being sim and the other arcade.
Though I said November wasn't late for me to buy Madden, that was usually because I didn't see myself playing Madden past the NFL season. Football is the sport, where I would play the game past the season if the game was good enough. I like NBA 2k, but not the big enough of basketball fan to play past season though I have watched it more than I ever have past few years. I would buy a good NFL 2K game in November if I felt could at least play it to the draft.

You don't want to compete with Madden head on. Even in a year with tons of backlash and negativity, Madden still had record engagement and great sales. I always felt it would release a month before Madden. I always felt NBA2k always released too early. I would rather see it release early October at the earliest. I never buy it until close to season tip off because I feel a lot can happen between early September and late October.

I could see the NFL wanting 2k to release the game before the season and 2k probably wasn't ready, so they pushed it until next year. But, I do see NFL getting their way and 2k release before the 2022 season. 2k will likely stay on the NFL's good side
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2021, 08:34 AM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 0

Truthfully the 2K game will almost 100% be like the Yard/neighborhood they do in NBA.

Madden knew they had to drop a mode like that before 2k entered, it also allows 2k to be 'arcade' but still play well enough to get people to convert. It's also the easiest way to get people to shell out serious cash regarding cosmetics and such.

2k knows in order to pry that license away from EA they need to be able to go 'we can make x amount from an arcade title with a few modes' and push them to opening it back up or giving it to them outright. NFL sharing the license is 100% about putting pressure on EA, they're tired of hearing about the BS and its a corporate way to say put up or shut up.

I'm expecting an NFL street level franchise mode but I think that's about it. I'm excited for this game and will buy it day one just to have something new to play.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:43 PM   #37
Rookie

goosedawg68's Arena

OVR: 1

What 2K should do is get on board with the USFL and make a sim football game for that league.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:51 PM   #38
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2

The delay tells me they are serious about this game
WWE Battlegrounds you can tell they rush the game because it's arcade and not gonna sell as much
Old 06-05-2021, 10:02 PM   #39

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosedawg68
What 2K should do is get on board with the USFL and make a sim football game for that league.
They can't make a sim game. No matter the league.
Old 06-06-2021, 12:57 AM   #40
MVP

zello144's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
They can't make a sim game. No matter the league.
They can make a sim non NFL game. EA doesn't hold exclusive licenses over the game of football. 2K just can't make a sim NFL game.

Will 2K do a sim non NFL game? Probably not though because they wouldn't make much money. They tried it with APF 2k8 and IDK if that sold well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »