Home

This Madden 64 article could be a hint

This is a discussion on This Madden 64 article could be a hint within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2021, 12:03 AM   #25
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: This Madden 64 article could be a hint

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
So 2k is going to make 2 games that will compete against themselves and Madden thus likely resulting in less money for themselves at the end of the day?
But who says the 2k football titles would be released together in the same year, let alone around the same time as Madden? They will likely be rotational releases - Playgrounds one year, possibly (albeit a remote possibility) an APF style game the following year - similar to what they did with WWE Battlegrounds and WWE 2k.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2021, 03:35 AM   #26
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
But who says the 2k football titles would be released together in the same year, let alone around the same time as Madden? They will likely be rotational releases - Playgrounds one year, possibly (albeit a remote possibility) an APF style game the following year - similar to what they did with WWE Battlegrounds and WWE 2k.
So after the year of the triumphant return of NFL 2K they are just not gonna have a new year based NFL game the next year to compete with Madden? That makes no sense.

People are gonna be like where is NFL 2K? Then they might see that they came out with a generic game with no real teams or logos and the majority are gonna be like I'll stick with Madden this year I guess.

And WWE Battlegrounds was an emergency game. It was never supposed to happen until WWE 2K20 bombed. They needed another year, so they went into we gotta fill a hole mode and made Battlegrounds. I doubt we ever see it again.

I get the desire for another simulation football game. I would welcome it, But if we know the gaming business right now, and how it works, companies don't take big risks anymore. And this is a big risk.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:49 AM   #27
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
So after the year of [v]the triumphant return of NFL 2K[/b] they are just not gonna have a new year based NFL game the next year to compete with Madden? That makes no sense.
Unlikely that it will be NFL2k as you are implying or as we remember it. It would have been if they were allowed to make a full blown sim-style title that would compete annually against Madden head-to-head for market share but that isn't the case as we know it.

Between now and 2026 (when the sim license might be up for bid again), I think it'll be something where 2k football focuses on re-restasblishing themselves in the football-gaming market with one of their "non-sim" titles offering a close enough glimpse at what a true simulation-style NFL title might look like if they were allowed to make one.

Now, they might release one of their titles annually but I don't see it happening because there's no pressure on them to do so, especially on the level that EA/Tiburon have to ship Madden every year to offset exclusivity costs, make profits and appease an expectant fanbase. 2k has a lot more freedom in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
And WWE Battlegrounds was an emergency game. It was never supposed to happen until WWE 2K20 bombed. They needed another year, so they went into we gotta fill a hole mode and made Battlegrounds. I doubt we ever see it again.
One can safely assume WWE Battlegrounds was in development, at the minimum conceptually, well before WWE 2K20 ever released, let alone be critically panned. That's especially considering two different studios, Visual Concepts and Saber Ineractive, worked on those titles.

Whether Battlegrounds is released again or not, there is no way it was developmentally improvised in the wake of the WWE 2k20 debacle.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:54 AM   #28
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2

2k knew APF wasn't gonna sale without a franchise mode and told their fans to shut up and just play it. And I remember when they said they thinking about doing it annually or not. Let's see if they bring that same energy telling us shut up and play playground football without franchise mode. I doubt it
Read those comments below and imagine that in 2022 (twitter cancel era)

https://www.pastapadre.com/2007/04/12/358

Last edited by simbayless; 08-18-2021 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:20 PM   #29
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbayless
2k knew APF wasn't gonna sale without a franchise mode and told their fans to shut up and just play it. And I remember when they said they thinking about doing it annually or not. Let's see if they bring that same energy telling us shut up and play playground football without franchise mode. I doubt it
Read those comments below and imagine that in 2022

https://www.pastapadre.com/2007/04/12/358
If you follow the sourcing on that, you’ll see the “Play the game and shut up” quote is a response to the expected backlash about being unable to recreate NFL teams and players. Didn’t mention franchise at all. Not sure why you’re linking the two.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:39 PM   #30
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2

One thing for sure 2k gotta make big statement next year or else it's close curtains in 23 when college football comes back along with Madden

Imagine NBA Jam going against NBA 2k and NBA Live
Old 08-18-2021, 01:12 PM   #31
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
Unlikely that it will be NFL2k as you are implying or as we remember it. It would have been if they were allowed to make a full blown sim-style title that would compete annually against Madden head-to-head for market share but that isn't the case as we know it.

Between now and 2026 (when the sim license might be up for bid again), I think it'll be something where 2k football focuses on re-restasblishing themselves in the football-gaming market with one of their "non-sim" titles offering a close enough glimpse at what a true simulation-style NFL title might look like if they were allowed to make one.

Now, they might release one of their titles annually but I don't see it happening because there's no pressure on them to do so, especially on the level that EA/Tiburon have to ship Madden every year to offset exclusivity costs, make profits and appease an expectant fanbase. 2k has a lot more freedom in that regard.

One can safely assume WWE Battlegrounds was in development, at the minimum conceptually, well before WWE 2K20 ever released, let alone be critically panned. That's especially considering two different studios, Visual Concepts and Saber Ineractive, worked on those titles.

Whether Battlegrounds is released again or not, there is no way it was developmentally improvised in the wake of the WWE 2k20 debacle.
I was simply talking about whatever they are gonna release. NFL 2K23 Playgrounds or whatever the non-sim game will be. Which would be the game we basically know is coming. I believe it will be a yearly release to compete as much as possible with Madden.

I will do some more research on Battlegrounds if I can. It may have been in development and maybe planned as a stand-alone release some other time before it took the spot of WWE 2K21.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2021, 01:46 AM   #32
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbayless
One thing for sure 2k gotta make big statement next year or else it's close curtains in 23 when college football comes back along with Madden

Imagine NBA Jam going against NBA 2k and NBA Live
It's definitely going to be interesting to see what 2K comes up with. I've said this before but the only thing that gives me pause about a full on Playgrounds/Street/Jam, etc. game is the NFLPA license and the exclusion of offensive and defensive linemen in a super arcade like game.

A game more along the lines of a MLB BIGS might be a better possibility.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »