Home

This Madden 64 article could be a hint

This is a discussion on This Madden 64 article could be a hint within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2021, 12:32 AM   #1
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2
This Madden 64 article could be a hint

I could be wrong but this old Madden 64 article could be a hint on what 2k is doing with their football game

https://www.ign.com/articles/1997/10/25/madden-64

Football fanatics, however, will be very disappointed to know that Madden 64 doesn't feature the full NFL license, so real team names, team colors and team stadiums are not present. This means that you could be stuck playing the Chicago Bulldozers instead of the mighty Bears -- and they might be purple. Acclaim grabbed all the NFL licensing rights for its NFL QB Club '98 early and EA was left playing catch up. However, EA did manage to get ahold of the NFLPA (NFL Players Associaion) so real player names are present in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2021, 03:13 AM   #2
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: This Madden 64 article could be a hint

2K has the NFL license. Why would they not use it?

They aren't making a non-licensed sim game. They didn't wait 17 years to get the NFL license back to not use it. Even if that means the game can't be sim.

Last edited by PVarck31; 08-14-2021 at 03:21 AM.
Old 08-14-2021, 09:52 AM   #3
MVP

simbayless's Arena

2k didn't sign the NFL and NFLPA License at the same time they might have a few different games under there belt
NFL License +NFLPA players = Arcade playgrounds style type of games

NFLPA License by itself= Madden 64,All pro style of games.

At the end of the day we all don't know yet but
don't knock me if this could be a reality

Non simulation NFL games is the only fact so far

Last edited by simbayless; 08-14-2021 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:09 PM   #4
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

The game is going to have real teams. I get people trying not to get their hopes up, but it is ridiculous at this point to think it will be generic teams with 2k dishing out money for the rights to use real teams. You do not waste money and resources on a generic game when you have the thing that is going to make the game sell at your disposal.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 08-14-2021, 12:22 PM   #5
MVP

simbayless's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
The game is going to have real teams. I get people trying not to get their hopes up, but it is ridiculous at this point to think it will be generic teams with 2k dishing out money for the rights to use real teams. You do not waste money and resources on a generic game when you have the thing that is going to make the game sell at your disposal.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Yes real NFL teams that plays like NFL street, playgrounds/battlegrounds arcade football

Yes fake teams with real NFL players that plays real football Aka All pro/madden-64

Y'all get what I'm saying now in that article the NFL/NFLPA License was split up
That's all I'm saying folks get hyped!

Last edited by simbayless; 08-14-2021 at 12:29 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2021, 01:14 PM   #6
Rookie

Dagio's Arena

OVR: 6

I won't get my hopes up, but it is a remote possibility. To this day I haven't seen confirmation that the NFLPA deal is for non-sim games only (it could be, correct me if I'm wrong), and articles like these keep using the phrase "multiple titles".

https://www.polygon.com/2020/7/30/21...mes-deal-nflpa

Quote:
2K has not provided any other details about the games in question, saying only that it has multiple titles “in early stages of development” and that they are slated to be released starting in 2021.
Quote:
We’re thrilled to be working with the NFLPA and OneTeam to bring the biggest and best stars in football to the games we’re working on.
Now by multiple titles, this could just mean yearly releases of the same game, but the wording seems to imply something else. If multiple separate titles are in development, perhaps one game is arcade-style with NFL teams and players, while the other is simulation-style with NFL players and generic teams. Then again, these could all be non-sim titles, which unfortunately seems the most likely scenario.
Old 08-14-2021, 02:36 PM   #7

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagio
I won't get my hopes up, but it is a remote possibility. To this day I haven't seen confirmation that the NFLPA deal is for non-sim games only (it could be, correct me if I'm wrong), and articles like these keep using the phrase "multiple titles".

Now by multiple titles, this could just mean yearly releases of the same game, but the wording seems to imply something else. If multiple separate titles are in development, perhaps one game is arcade-style with NFL teams and players, while the other is simulation-style with NFL players and generic teams. Then again, these could all be non-sim titles, which unfortunately seems the most likely scenario.
Part of that same announcement (notice the use of plural wording):

Quote:
2K's NFL games will be non-simulation football game experiences, and are currently in early stages of development. Specific game titles, developers and release dates will be announced at a later date.

The hype is fun but not realistic, some folks are getting their hopes up for something that isn't happening.
Old 08-14-2021, 03:46 PM   #8
MVP

simbayless's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagio

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ he gets it when's the last time you hear a sports game say mutiple games if anything they say future titles

So if this indeed true and visual concept is making it boy ohh boy Madden is in deep water by bad programming history alone vs a new 2k built from the ground up engine yikes

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »