Home

How did the whole 2k vs EA market war happen?

This is a discussion on How did the whole 2k vs EA market war happen? within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-22-2021, 08:21 PM   #9
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: How did the whole 2k vs EA market war happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheButter
How did EA win? It's not even close to 2k5's level.
Ignoring both the EA - NFL exclusivity agreement (other people have already told that story) and the litany of football strategy features not present in NFL 2K5 relative to modern football games on account of its advanced age, I think people either forget or deliberately omit the glaring problems present in NFL 2K5 which dramatically hampered the experience both during its time of relevance and today, especially from the perspective of multiplayer and franchise.

For example, I gather you are a big fan of NFL Head Coach and similar single-player NFL team management games. In NFL 2K5 franchise mode, CPU-controlled teams always and only select QBs, RBs, OTs, and DEs with their Round 1 draft picks. That bug was never corrected, and it is a crippling roster management issue for single player franchise gamers once you know it is there.

If I recall correctly, NFL 2K5 also had major issues with CPU trade logic, notably with CPU teams aggressively trading star players with one another. I recall the CPU Packers trading away Brett Favre quite often.

If you were a couch multiplayer gamer with friends, NFL 2K5 franchise mode was a logistical nightmare; you are only allowed to play the games in the exact order they appear on the schedule. In comparison, every Madden game of the era allowed for playing the games in a given week in any order. This shortcoming by itself stopped my high school friends from playing NFL 2K5 franchise with me, and as a result we played a ton of Madden 2005 Franchise instead with no regrets.

I'm not even going to touch the Weekly Prep feature, which was well-intentioned but so incredibly obtuse and opaque. I never figured it out. I don't know that anyone did. Player progression in NFL 2K5 was also chaotic and unpredictable. Maybe that's more realistic? But it certainly wasn't fun winning MVP with a young quarterback only to see his OVR rating decrease the following season.

On the field, there were also significant issues. The most prominent one I remember is that offensive clipping penalties subtracted from a ballcarrier's rushing yardage. I believe this bug was corrected on XBOX with a patch, admittedly, but as far as I know it is still present on the PS2 version, which I think is the more popular version for emulation.

Further, safeties playing deep half zones in Cover 2 or Cover 3 middle third zones were also routinely seen running in tight semi-circles, which could get them out of position extremely quickly. I recall many many roster editors spending time "in the lab" so to speak trying to mess with all sorts of ratings to improve safety play; I have no idea how successful they were in doing so, but having watched videos of NFL 2K5 played on emulators as recent as this summer I know the problem is still in the game.

NFL 2K5 should be celebrated for its kitchen-sink design, its breadth of content and features, its fan service, its raising the bar for sports video game presentation and commentary, the VIP System (this in particular isn't talked about nearly enough), and its at the time good gameplay which on-balance at least held its own with Madden 2005 (it did some things better and some things worse). For franchise and multiplayer gamers, however, NFL 2K5 was surpassed a long time ago.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 12-22-2021 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-22-2021, 08:29 PM   #10
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Everything you stated was not only very fair, but also very accurate. The negative yardage from offensive penalties is infuriating beyond belief, and emulation doesn't address it since it's from the PS2 version as you stated.

Regardless, it's my game of preference even seventeen years later. More so than any Madden or even APF (which addressed a lot of gameplay concerns). I enjoyed the Blitz: The League games, but those don't have NFL depth and could only take me so far. Backbreaker was the most novelty football toy I ever played with, despite its massive flaws.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 12-22-2021, 09:46 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

For me, APF 2K8 is still my favorite on-field gameplay football games. It's been a couple years, but it's always a game I could pop in and start a season because the gameplay was so smooth. I could build a team without a speed burner and still be dominant. Like CM Hooe said, a lot with 2k5 was good in concept but implemented poorly/basic. A lot of the praise is based on nostalgia. Like with NCAA 14. It's praised like it was the best NCAA game because it was the last game. While I enjoyed it, only played it for 3 months and haven't touched it in 2 years. It was streamlined too much which took away from the game.

Fully agree on the VIP system. I feel that do well in today's era. It felt broken in APF2K8, but better in 2k5. It's something that would make gameplay so much better. Imagine it being more in-depth and better implementation in today's game, it would make every game feel unique and have coaches feel like they have an impact. Even if it is something that you just attach to coaches, it would do wonders for Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2021, 10:38 PM   #12
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2

This may sound crazy but it would be a dream Collab if EA and 2k work on NFL simulation together by helping eachother weakness and strengths

EA would work on graphics on unreal engine 5 and MUt

2k works on gameplay and franchise mode

Oops I just woke up 😅

That's like asking a cat 🐈 to get a long with a dog🐕

Raider fans getting along with 49er fans

Whataburger with in and out burger🍔

Freddy Krueger with Jason

Red and blue team

50 cent with jarule

Hot and cold

You get my drift some things are meant to compete with eachother other 🤷
Old 12-22-2021, 11:40 PM   #13
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
A comparison between the Microsoft anti-trust litigation and the private business dealings between the NFL and Electronic Arts is misleading, inaccurate, and agenda-driven. It is more importantly irrelevant because the case facts of the Microsoft litigation are entirely different and have nothing to do with intellectual property rights.
I think you're overreacting to my use of Microsoft as an example and putting in the word "antitrust" next to it - I wasn't trying to make a legal argument at all. Personally I don't think Madden is a monopoly nor have I ever argued that to be the case. I was speaking to Microsoft's business practices back in the day, which most acknowledge were ruthless.

My issue with EA was imo they efforted to put 2K out of business. Only the most naive would view the NFL exclusivity deal in a vacuum. There was also NCAA exclusivity, ESPN exclusivity, and several other actions taken - all within a couple months of each other - to ensure 2K had no avenue to turn to make a legitimate football game. It seems highly doubtful "it was just a coincidence" all these companies went exclusive practically at the same time.

Most would admit that no matter how great a sports games' gameplay is, it's at a severe competitive disadvantage if it's unlicensed. All the games you mentioned - Backbreaker, APF, etc. would be considerably more desirable if they had official licensing of the NFL. It's silly to say otherwise. Maybe someone can make an XFL/USFL/European League game but it's only going to appeal to a super-small subset of gamers.

Also, I've never made the argument 2K5 was considerably better than Madden 05. They were probably more neck-and-neck at the time. I remember saying repeatedly things like gang tackling, double-team blocking, presentation features, etc. would be in Madden in a few years - and it never materialized. Or materialized console generations later, and not arguably not as good as it should be. 2K5 & APF's legends have grown over the years more because of Madden's failures than anything either game did imo. The reason there's anticipation for 2K's football game isn't because so many fans of 2K are still around and refuse to accept Madden. In 15yrs EA Tiburon should've long squashed any memory of 2K football games from multiple console generations ago, but they haven't.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 12-23-2021, 08:41 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22

My issue with EA was imo they efforted to put 2K out of business. Only the most naive would view the NFL exclusivity deal in a vacuum. There was also NCAA exclusivity, ESPN exclusivity, and several other actions taken - all within a couple months of each other - to ensure 2K had no avenue to turn to make a legitimate football game. It seems highly doubtful "it was just a coincidence" all these companies went exclusive practically at the same time.
Yup. They even bought the Arena Football license and made one game to stop 2K from doing that. And then the ESPN license they bought for most games they just stuck in a drawer and barely used. Makes it even worse that the 2k5 presentation still blows away Madden's. Just an awful turning point for sports gaming.
Old 12-23-2021, 03:53 PM   #15
MVP

WaddupCouzin's Arena

OVR: 11

NFL 2K's oline/dline play was light years ahead of Madden! Madden just got a pocket right about 2 years ago. Don't even get me started on Replay Reviewing and presentation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2021, 04:02 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheButter
How did EA win? It's not even close to 2k5's level. Not even Madden 08.
It's not about quality.

If the NFL cared, "Sunday Ticket" wouldn't have been wrapped up with DirectTv for years.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »