Home

How did the whole 2k vs EA market war happen?

This is a discussion on How did the whole 2k vs EA market war happen? within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-27-2021, 08:27 PM   #33
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: How did the whole 2k vs EA market war happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
As I mentioned in my post, there was an entire Rolling Stone exposé (preserved here by Internet Archive) about how troubled the development of Madden NFL 06 on the XBOX 360 was.
Thanks for the article; never knew about it. Interesting read. Confirms a lot of dysfunction that was occurring back in '06. But some of which must still exist today - just last year didn't they endure some huge backlash regarding franchise mode? We used to get excited about the upgrades a new console generation would bring, but I can't think of a single console launch year where EA/Tiburon delivered on that with an impressive release (unless I'm mistaken). I think people stopped expecting much from them. I used to say it was like battered wife syndrome, where people started giving props to EA Tiburon just for doing regular things the game should be doing - like a wife giving her husband props for working or taking out the trash.

I thought these two paragraphs late in the article were most interesting:
Quote:
Madden 07 found itself up against the launch of the PlayStation 3, but released an edition nearly equal to the Xbox 360, beginning an upward trend in the critical response toward Madden titles. The lessons learned and technical changes from Madden 06 paid off long term, beginning a base for an entire generation of digital football.

“Despite the lumps that it has taken, it built an incredibly solid foundation for that run of Madden games and was probably leveraged into this generation of Madden games,” says Strauser.
It's like there's a lack of awareness of anything other than Madden; like they're only wanting to compare the game to itself. They think Madden 06-thru-whatever built a strong foundation...? I don't get that statement at all. As someone that stopped following the game, I know my view is kinda skewed. But Madden 06 and whatever other subpar releases should not be the bar for this game, even moreso since they have exclusivity. Guessing this is an old article, but the game still looks nothing like a real game, while you can mistake The Show or NBA2K for a real broadcast at times. Madden benefited so much from having exclusivity... It's a stretch - but not a huge stretch - to say Madden might've gone the way of NBA Live without it [exclusivity, imo].

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 12-27-2021, 09:40 PM   #34
All Star

Okay, silly of me to put Madden on the same plane as NBA Live. Madden as a brand is synonymous with videogame football.

Do think a competent competitor could've put a serious dent in their reputation during their hard years though.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Operation Sports mobile app

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 12-28-2021, 12:50 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Okay, silly of me to put Madden on the same plane as NBA Live. Madden as a brand is synonymous with videogame football.

Do think a competent competitor could've put a serious dent in their reputation during their hard years though.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Operation Sports mobile app
Madden definitely goes the way of NBA Live if not for the exclusive license. I don't believe EA would have completely given up, but they'd be behind 2K based on the gameplay of 360/PS3 Madden vs APF 2K8 (https://www.reddit.com/r/Madden/comm...rs_in_apf_2k8/). A fully licensed "NFL 2K8" does a lot of damage in the marketplace.

Last edited by Ev14; 12-28-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2021, 01:38 PM   #36
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8

The thing I hate most about the exclusive deal. I never have been
an online player. Not a fan of playing first person shooters.

But, when 2k4 and 2k5 came out. I played everyday online
with my friends. Hell I would even play against randoms who used
the Dolphins and Titans. Those two teams were ridiculously over
powered (Ricky and Eddie)

Nothing like beating someone using the Dolphins or Titans,
with Quincy Carter and Troy Hambrick (Dallas)

Good ol days..

**FYI, if any of you have decent PC with a decent Video card. Try the
"NFL2K5-Resurrected" project. Man the game looks awesome with
new uni's and resolution.

Last edited by adriano; 12-28-2021 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-29-2021, 12:50 PM   #37
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
Just to show the NFL is still is in the practice of exclusive licensing, Panini, the company that produces their sports trading cards will lose their exclusive license to do so in a few years, as the NFL and Players Association has signed an exclusive deal with Fanatics to produce their cards. Fanatics also got the exclusive license to produce MLB and NBA cards. This will end over 70 years of Topps producing baseball cards. As a sports card enthusiast, this is sad for me.

I know the NFL loves exclusivity because of their greed but it’s so short sighted imo. Trading cards and video games are great ways to introduce kids to your sport. Groom them into super fans that grow up buying jerseys, tickets to games, man caves filled with NFL merchandise.

When you limit it by only giving them madden or Fanatics it opens the door for them to wind up collecting baseball, basketball stuff, getting hooked on NBA2k or the Show because they never enjoyed that exclusive product. Become super fans of those sports and casually follow the NFL. Maybe another NFL option would’ve appealed to them more.

In todays world where moms already encourage kids into other options that aren’t as violent as football it seems like the NFL would want to do more to groom kids into future fans instead of squeezing every drop they can with exclusives but it never seems to hurt the league’s popularity.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 12-30-2021, 09:09 AM   #38
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev14
Madden definitely goes the way of NBA Live if not for the exclusive license. I don't believe EA would have completely given up, but they'd be behind 2K based on the gameplay of 360/PS3 Madden vs APF 2K8 (https://www.reddit.com/r/Madden/comm...rs_in_apf_2k8/). A fully licensed "NFL 2K8" does a lot of damage in the marketplace.
I don’t think so. Even back when we had both games they were different enough for both to succeed.

Madden was all about user control, user the middle linebacker and play like a superstar. the controls were tighter but the game was “simpler”

2k was more “realistic”, controls weren’t as tight, you couldn’t cut on a dime, and the game was just overall slower, however it LOOKED more like what you see in real life. On top of that it had tiered play calling on defense which has never been replicated in a football game since.

Me and my brothers are football junkies, I loved 2k but they loved madden.
Old 12-30-2021, 03:13 PM   #39
MVP

zello144's Arena

I don’t really play FIFA or have any interest in soccer but what if they ended up like FIFA and PES?
Old 01-02-2022, 07:41 PM   #40
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
I don’t think so. Even back when we had both games they were different enough for both to succeed.
It's all subjective, but I disagree. Personally I wasn't referring to the XBox/PS2 Maddens vs. NFL2K. The problem with Madden occurred when it made the next gen jump to PS3 after the exclusivity announcement; that's when it was extremely vulnerable.

You can argue Madden was about user-control then, but pretty much every aspect of the game took a hit: gameplay, franchise depth, options, etc. The graphics were arguably better, but the game animated horribly.

At the time, NBA Live suffered when it made the next gen leap too. The difference was at the time Live had competent competition it had to go against, where Madden didn't. It was during this time NBA2K11 came out, one of the best sports game releases ever. It was those quality releases which made NBA Live's problems that much more prominent. It's not too much to assume if there were similar-quality NFL2K releases to what NBA2K was, versus what the quality of Madden was at the time, Madden starts losing market share big time.

It used to be unfathomable a NBA game would outsell a NFL game, but it happened for many years when the quality of Madden was down. Madden can still be very tough on the eyes to guys like me that know better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »